DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Flash XDR Status (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/142406-flash-xdr-status.html)

Dan Keaton January 26th, 2009 06:59 AM

Flash XDR Status

Dear Friends,

Our current status with the Flash XDR is as follows:

Our Quicktime support has been solid for sometime now. When files are recorded using our "QT" option, we produce standard Quicktime files that are easily placed into a Final Cut Pro timeline, provided one is using FCP 7.0.4 or higher with all of the software updates.

We have recently release firmware version 0.0.218 which adds MXF file support.

This is a fully operational release, as far as Quicktime is concerned.

For MXF, this release is provided as a test vehicle for users to test the Flash XDR with their Non-Linear Editors and their workflow.

Mark Andrew Job has been testing our MXF support with Avid, which does not work with our files at this time.

We will be attempting to determine the problem, which lies within the audio portion of our MXF Files, at least from Avid's point of view. We will be making changes soon that should allow our MXF files to work with Avid.

The same MXF files appear to be working perfectly, as far as we can tell, with Edius and Vegas 8.0(c).

Bill Ravens has been doing a great job testing our MXF files. Thanks Bill!
Bill confirms the same problem with Avid.

Bill has worked out a workflow that uses Edius to import our file, he then exports a file for use with Avid. This works perfectly, but, of course, this is a workaround that we wish to eliminate as soon as possible.

We will also be working with Cineform as soon as possible, as we are not working perfectly with Cineform at this time.

So, it appears that Quicktime is solid, and MXF is close.

The Flash XDR has been tested with cameras from the Canon HV20, the Canon XL H1, the Sony EX1 and EX3's, and all of the way up to the Thomson Viper, all with good results.

We still have other features to develop, which we will release as soon as they are ready, via free firmware updates.

Upgrades to ASI and Full Uncompressed are extra cost options which will be released at a future time.

We are frequently asked; when can I have a Flash XDR?

We have Flash XDRs in stock, ready for immediate delivery.

Dan Keaton January 26th, 2009 09:28 AM

Dear Friends,

One of our very experienced users of the Flash XDR has pointed out a problem with my "Quicktime is Solid" statement.

We respect his opinion.

At this time, if one is recording, to Quicktime or MXF, and there is a problem with the HD-SDI, we do not handle the loss of the HD-SDI signal gracefully. In fact, we lock up the Flash XDR.

This happens in one of the following scenarios:

While recording:

1. The HD-SDI cable is unplugged.

2. The HD-SDI signal, via the cable or signal source, has a glitch that causes the HD-SDI signal to be lost.

3. The camera that is generating the HD-SDI signal is powered off, or the HD-SDI signal is turned off.

We are aware of this problem and have a plan in place to overcome these conditions gracefully.

James Huenergardt January 28th, 2009 03:28 PM

I'm assuming you mean Final Cut 6.0.4 as there isn't a 7.x version that I know of.

Dan Keaton January 28th, 2009 03:57 PM

Dear James,

Yes, I am sorry for the typo. I mean Final Cut Pro 6.0.4 or higher with all updates from Apple installed.