Recommended Testing of New Firmware Releases at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 28th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Recommended Testing of New Firmware Releases

Dear Friends,

We have been posting firmware releases for the Flash XDR.

Our recent releases have included beta releases of our MXF support.

We test these releases with a variety of cameras and video formats before they are posted.

Each release is also tested on multiple Flash XDR's.

However, we are not able to test these on every camera / video format / bit-rate option.

We highly recommend that before you use any new firmware release on any shoot, you first record some footage, with audio, with your camera, with your specific camera settings and format, those that you will be using on your shoot.

Then we recommend that you transfer the footage to your NLE and check to ensure that everything works to your satisfaction.

We feel that this is a prudent step to take to ensure that your actual shoots go as planned.

If you have any issues with a new release, it is always possible to reinstall the previous firmware.
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #2
New Boot

Thanks Dan,

I'm rather keen to try the mxf s in Vegas as soon as I have the time but I do have a working and rock solid FCP workflow that I'm relying on for the Flash XDR QTs.

Hence I've been a little reluctant to update the firmware. Can I be reassured that absolutely nothing has changed in the recent (mxf beta) releases that could affect the QT stuff.

I'm a firm believer in 'if it aint broke donn't fix it'

Alan
Alan Anthony Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Alan,

We will be releasing our MXF enabled firmware today.

Our internal testing is going great.

I would like to give you a rock-solid guaranty that Quicktime will work as well as before.

However, with this design of sophistication, I can not give you an absolute guaranty.

I can state that we have improved the reliability of the Quicktime mode, which was very high before, with this new firmware. But, unforeseen events can happen.

I recommend that as soon as you have a couple of hours to devote to installing the new firmware (10 minutes), install it, record to it, then check your footage in FCP.

This should go smoothly.

If you do encounter problems, the previous firmware release can be reinstalled in approximately 10 minutes or less.

We do have a problem with 720p when recording at 50 Mbps while 100 Mbps seems fine. I feel that this issue will not be corrected by the time we post the firmware today.
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #4
New Boot

thanks Dan, I'll look forward to trying it.

No issues with the 720 for me, it's all 1080i at the moment.

Alan
Alan Anthony Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Alan,

We were able to resolve all known issues with the 720p 50 Mbps support prior to posting our firmware release 0.0.233.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey