DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Battery pack (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/143317-battery-pack.html)

Per Johan Naesje February 7th, 2009 11:33 PM

Battery pack

I'm trying out a Flash XDR unit as we speak. I'm very happy what I'm seeing so far :-)

Being a wildlife photographer I need a light weight battery unit.
I've been looking at this battery pack:
Bescor | BES-015XLRNC Shoulder Pack Lead-Acid | BES015XLRNC

Will it be sufficient feeding the Flash XDR with power for let's say 2-3 hours continuing shooting?

Dan Keaton February 8th, 2009 03:05 AM

Dear Per Johan,

The Anton Bauer Elipz battery system may fit your needs.

On a full charge, it powers the Flash XDR for over four hours.

It is an interesting system in that it can attach directly to the 1/4" x 20 screw hole on the back of the Flash XDR.

The Elipz battery system can be mounted on a tripod via a 1/4" x 20 (standard tripod screw). The system includes a quick-release system.

On the Flash XDR, or your camera, you can attach the quick-release plate, then it is easy to attach or remove the battery.

We can supply the necessary cable through your distributor.
(Your distributor does not have this cable at this time, I can bring some to London on February 16th).

ELIPZ 10K BATTERY
75Wh lithium ion battery (10,500 mAh @7.2V)

This requires one of our special cables for use with your Flash XDR
(Elipz to 4-Pin XLR, soon to be available from your distributor),

or

2. If you want to power your camera also, for certain cameras, but not the Sony EX1/EX3, a custom cable (available from Anton Bauer) for your camera. The Sony EX1/EX3 needs a battery with a higher voltage.

The Elipz is a nominal 7.2 Volt Lithium Ion system and is ideal for use with the Flash XDR.

Our tests show over 4 hours of recording time. (We believe this number to be very conservative).

Please allow 8 or more hours for a full recharge. (I do not know the exact time to recharge.)

The Anton Bauer pro batteries may be better for all day shooting, but two Elipz batteries will probably work for most applications.

The pro batteries can power the Flash XDR for longer periods and have faster, more powerful, rechargers.

We have custom designed mounts for the Flash XDR if you want to use Anton Bauer pro batteries.

For field use, for up to four hours (maybe more), I recommend the Anton Bauer Elipz system, as it is light in weight.

The Elipz size and weight: 6.4" X 3.2" X 1.7" (16.3 X 8.0 X 4.3 cm) 1.25lbs (567grams).
The charger is fairly light also at 0.95 pounds, 420 grams.

Anton/Bauer-ELIPZ

Alex Dolgin February 8th, 2009 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1008550)
Dear Per Johan,

...Sony EX1/EX3, a custom cable (available from Anton Bauer) for your camera. The Sony EX1/EX3 needs a battery with a higher voltage.

[]

In case of EX1/EX3 using our EX-V adapter www.dolgin.net/EX-Vadapter.htm you can power both the camera and FLASH XDR using the same BP-U60 batteries.

Douglas Scott February 9th, 2009 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been using the IDX NP-L7S Lithium Ion battery mounted on my camera with NP to 4 pin cable to power the XDR and another one to run the camera. I've been thinking of switching to a single larger battery to run both the camera and the XDR so I can see a battery low voltage warning. Something you might consider since the XDR does not have a low voltage warning system and the battery might not be easily accessible to view the meter.

Cheers,
Scott

Nic van Oudtshoorn February 16th, 2009 02:37 PM

Mount for XDR and Anton Bauer pro batteries

[QUOTE=Dan Keaton;1008550]
We have custom designed mounts for the Flash XDR if you want to use Anton Bauer pro batteries.

Hi Dan

I use an Anton Bauer gold mount attached to the back of the XL-H1 for Anton Bauer pro batteries (which then also power the camera). I velcro the Flash XDR onto the battery (I have velcro strips on the back of each battery). However, your mounts may be more secure - can you let me have more info or point me to a web address, please?