DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Form Factor Idea (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/144268-form-factor-idea.html)

James Venturi February 21st, 2009 08:23 AM

Form Factor Idea

Mike,

The ultimate form factor would be for your next product (after Nano) to be able to be able to clip on the back of an Anton Bauer or IDX mount and then offer another mount behind, like the new SxS adapter for the JVC, solving the power question and where to put it at the same time. It would be great to have this be like a Nano in functionality, but use its additional size to offer more Compact Flash slots (if possible).

Jim

PS How is the Nano best powered on an EX1 or a PDW-700?

Mike Schell February 21st, 2009 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by James Venturi (Post 1015722)
Mike,

The ultimate form factor would be for your next product (after Nano) to be able to be able to clip on the back of an Anton Bauer or IDX mount and then offer another mount behind, like the new SxS adapter for the JVC, solving the power question and where to put it at the same time. It would be great to have this be like a Nano in functionality, but use its additional size to offer more Compact Flash slots (if possible).

Jim

PS How is the Nano best powered on an EX1 or a PDW-700?

Hi Jim-
The problem with the sandwich approach is that it severely limits the size of the LCD screen, since it must reside on the side of the box. We need a fairly large screen to display the clip file name and starting time code during playback operations. We also have many parameters that we display on the screen during recording, such as running time-code, number of minutes available across all cards, bit-rate, video format, audio level, etc. It's quite busy and most users want this information.

We are designing a battery mount for a 7.2V Sony Li-Ion battery, which will clip onto the top of the nano and provide about 2 hours run time (longer if you take advantage of the power down feature). We are also designing a cold shoe clip to mount the nano+battery directly on your camera. The total weight of the nano+battery should be under 1.5 lbs, so a cold shoe mount should work OK.

We have a 1/4-20 tripod mount on the bottom, as well as two additional threaded holes (M3) on the bottom, top and side, so there is a lot of options to build fixtures. Given the lightweight and small size, velcro is certainly a possibility.

We also have found a very flexible, lightweight HD-SDI cable and plan to tie-wrap together with a start/stop cable/switch with a built-in tally LED. There will be multiple record indicator LEDs on the actual box, so you can see that the unit is recording from several different perspectives (top, sides, bottom).

Here's a CAD rendering of the unit. The HDMI I/O connectors are just below the two Hirose connectors (just to the right of the BNCs). The red on/off switch size is now much smaller and is recessed.

Tyge Floyd February 21st, 2009 04:32 PM

Mike,
Will there be an option to power the nanoFlash via a power tap from an AB battery setup?
How will the battery meter on your existing drawing be monitored?

Mike Schell February 21st, 2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyge Floyd (Post 1015942)
Mike,
Will there be an option to power the nanoFlash via a power tap from an AB battery setup?
How will the battery meter on your existing drawing be monitored?

Hi Tyge-
Yes, absolutely. The power input on the nanoFlash is a 4-pin locking Hirose connecotor, which is very popular on the POV cameras. We plan to build D-Tap to 4-pin Hirose power cables. The nanoFlash has a very wide power input range of 6.5V to 20V and draws about 7 Watts active and 0.2 Watts in power-down mode. The nano can be programmed to automatically switch to power-down mode on loss of HD-SDI input. So, when you shut off your camera the nano goes to power save mode, greatly extending the battery life.

Best-

Tyge Floyd February 21st, 2009 07:45 PM

That's great, Mike. Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm anxiously waiting the arrival of the nanoFlash. I've been keeping an eye on the development, improvements and struggles with both the nanoFlash and the Flash XDR. I think you guys are doing an excellent job. Keep plugging away at getting this box on the market, please.

I need the nanoFlash in hand before my fall schedule kicks off in September! (Hint, hint)

Mike Schell February 22nd, 2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyge Floyd (Post 1016011)
That's great, Mike. Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm anxiously waiting the arrival of the nanoFlash. I've been keeping an eye on the development, improvements and struggles with both the nanoFlash and the Flash XDR. I think you guys are doing an excellent job. Keep plugging away at getting this box on the market, please.

I need the nanoFlash in hand before my fall schedule kicks off in September! (Hint, hint)

Hi Tyge-
We should be building the proto boards and box this week, with anticipated deliveries starting in April.

We'll keep buring the midnight oil to get this baby out.

Cheers-