XL H1 Mount for Flash XDR - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 18th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Dear Michael,

We are working on that.

We have been working with IDX to obtain the proper adapter.

The Flash XDR has screw holes in the IDX pattern on the back just for that purpose.
Old March 19th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyge Floyd View Post
How much does the Flash XDR, mount and Dionic 90 battery weigh?
Same question for the nanoFlash?

The XDR is easily TWICE as large as I had imagined.
I hope the nanoFlash is truly nano in scale.
Complete details on the upcoming Nano can be found at HDV To HD-SDI Video Converters Professional Video Equipment HDMI To HD-SDI Television Studio Equipment

It is reported to fit in the palm of your hand and much, much smaller that the XDR.
But it only has half the recording time (2 CF slots vs 4; no analog XLR ... but does have HDMI in/out which the XDR does not)
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks, John, for the link but I'm fully aware of the URL for their web site. I've spent quite a bit of time there over the last several months and still do not know what these units and the adapters/batteries weigh or how big the units are until I see them compared to a camera or another object.

It's pretty important to me to know these things in order to make an informed buyer's decision.
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Dear Tyge,

Here are the sizes:

Flash XDR:

8” (L) x 6” (W) x 2.5”(H), (203 x 152 x 63 mm), 2.7 lbs (1.3 kg)

nanoFlash

4.1” (L) x 3.7” (W) x 1.375” (H) (106x94x35mm), 1 lb. (0.4 Kg)

Here is the info on the Dionic 90 Battery:

Digital DIONIC 90 Lithium Ion Battery 14.4V 90WH
5-1/4" X 3-1/2" X 2-1/8", 1.7 lbs. ( 13.3 X 8.89 X 5.39 cm, 770g)

I obtained the above from Anton Bauer's website. I however, the Dionic 90 does not seem to weigh 1.7 pounds to me. I have not put it on an accurate scale.

I am sorry, but I do not have the exact weight of the mount at this time.
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #20
Major Player

Thanks, Dan. I'm glad to see the specs on the nanoFlash are much smaller.
Old March 20th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Dear Tyge,

Yes, the nanoFlash is smaller.

Just remember that the Flash XDR was designed with the original Canon XL H1 in mind.

The original XL H1 does not have timecode or audio embedded in the HD-SDI signal.

So the Flash XDR has very high quality, 24-bit / 48K audio circuits with Mic/Line and +48V phantom power support. All of this takes room.

In order to provide pristine quality audio circuits, we needed to add four extra power supplies.

In addition, the Flash XDR, automatically embeds the timecode and audio into the HD-SDI outputs. This is done by taking the timecode from the BNC timecode input and the audio from the XLR inputs and electronically adding it to the loop-thru outputs.

When the Flash XDR, using our new mount, is added to the XL H1, the balance of the camera is much better. It appears to me that the center of balance is directly over the shoulder pad.

There is a place for the nanoFlash, and a place for the Flash XDR. For those with an original XL H1, we highly recommend the Flash XDR over the nanoFlash.

I see that you have a XL H1a and a HV30, according to your profile. The nanoFlash is far superior for use with the HV30.
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi,

Just one Question..

When will this mount be available in Europe?
Philipp Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Dear Phillip,

If you are speaking of the Flash XDR mount for the Canon XL H1, we could have one to your dealer within three weeks or less.
Old April 5th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #24
Major Player

I rec'ed my shipment of this mounting system and put it together yesterday.

It is a sweet clean setup including the Anton Bauer mount plate, short 4-pin XLR power tap to the bottom of the XDR, and Dionic 90 battery.

With the 6X lense & Chrosiel Matte Box and 2 glass filters in, this new mount system brings the balance of the camera back to the shoulder pad aiding in handheld shots.

Machine work and finish(black matte powder coating) of the mounting is top-notch. A lot of thought and work went into this design.

I had a few questions and, as usual, Dan was very responsive.

If you have the original H1, besides balancing the overall rig, this system really cleans things up as all the cable runs (timecode, HD-SDI video, 1 or 2 audio XLR's, hirose remote trigger) are all shortened up and run to the back of the rig.

Very much recommend this solution.
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Now thats pretty cool :)..

I am actually waiting for AVI-SYS (my local dealer) to give me a XDR Unit for testing...but they only have one and i am in a waiting line for this...

but its good to know the mount is available so promptly..

thanks for the quick reply...
and also the good review..

cheers and nice Sunday..

phil
Philipp Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #26
Regular Crew

XL-H1 and HPX500 mounts price and delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Phillip,

If you are speaking of the Flash XDR mount for the Canon XL H1, we could have one to your dealer within three weeks or less.

Hi Dan

Forgive me if I am wrong, but unless I have not read the posts properly, nowhere is there a price for the XL adapter nor a photo showing it mounted. Can you please advise details and also when I could obtain one? How is the HPX500 mount design going?
Nic van Oudtshoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic van Oudtshoorn View Post
Hi Dan

Forgive me if I am wrong, but unless I have not read the posts properly, nowhere is there a price for the XL adapter nor a photo showing it mounted. Can you please advise details and also when I could obtain one? How is the HPX500 mount design going?
Please forgive me if I misunderstood your statement, but the very first post in this thread shows several photos of the mount on the XLH1. As for info on the HPX500, I have no info.
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Dear Nic,

I hope to have some photos of the full size camera mount up today.

This is a plate that attaches to the Flash XDR. One one side are three Anton Bauer Gold Mount Studs which then allow the plate to be attached to any Anton Bauer Gold Mount.

The three studs can be attached in two positions.

The Flash XDR can also be attached in multiple positions.

Also, there is a provision for a Baby Pin, so this plate can be attached to grip gear, or used as a table top stand.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey