DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   XL H1 Mount for Flash XDR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/145924-xl-h1-mount-flash-xdr.html)

Dan Keaton March 16th, 2009 07:22 AM

XL H1 Mount for Flash XDR

6 Attachment(s)
We have been designing an XL H1 mount for the Flash XDR.

The mount utilizes the existing screw holes (3) on the back of the Canon XL H1.

It consists of four pieces.

1. An L-Shaped bracket, which attaches to the shoulder pad.

2. A sturdy plate, which allows the Flash XDR to be attached in multiple positions vertically, and an Anton Bauer Universal Compact Gold Mount for Anton Bauer Hytron 50 and Dionic 90 batteries. Other batteries may fit.

3. An arm, which stabilizes the mount to the camera.

In testing, I found the Canon XL H1 to be more balanced. Your mileage may vary.

The L-Shaped bracket may remain attached to your camera. The Flash XDR with the sturdy plate already attached, may be attached or removed from the XL H1 in less than one minute.

We are about to go into production on this mount.

This prototype was powder coated in a glossy finish. We are debating the glossy finish versus a matte finish. In either case, it will be powder coated as this is a very durable finish.

We welcome your comments and suggestions.

Michael Galvan March 16th, 2009 08:20 AM

Very nice.

Will this mount also work with your upcoming Nano Flash?

Dan Keaton March 16th, 2009 08:37 AM

Dear Michael,

Thanks.

We will have a series of mounts for the nanoFlash.

While this one will work with the nanoFlash, we will have one custom designed for the nanoFlash.

In order to keep the nanoFlash size as small as possible, we use a Hirose 4-Pin power connector instead of the 4-Pin XLR.

Michael Galvan March 16th, 2009 08:48 AM

Well, my interest is to still use my Dionic 90 with the Nano and XL H1S.

Will the Nano-based mount for the XL cameras be similar, in a sense of battery placement?

Dan Keaton March 16th, 2009 08:59 AM

Dear Michael,

We are open to suggestions, but I believe that this mount will work great with the nanoFlash and the Dionic 90.

However, we do plan on making a lighter "sturdy plate" for the nanoFlash.

In any case, there will be a "sturdy plate" custom designed for the nanoFlash, the rest of the mount may remain the same or we may need to redesign the upper arm.

Michael Galvan March 16th, 2009 09:02 AM

Great, I will wait to see what you come up with before making any decisions.

Thanks!

Tony Warren March 16th, 2009 11:52 AM

Are you going to do this in an IDX battery mount as well?

Dan Keaton March 16th, 2009 12:21 PM

Dear Tony,

Yes, we are committed to fully supporting the IDX batteries.

I am working with IDX at this time to work out the details.

What IDX battery would you like us to support?

Philipp Steiner March 17th, 2009 01:47 AM

its bought ;)

it looks like an old film camera..iŽll get nostalgic...

when does it come to europe?

can the XDR and the camera be powered by the same battery and how long is the Operating time with the battery in the pictures?

Philipp Steiner March 17th, 2009 02:18 AM

also cool would be, if the mount is changeable, so the XDR is making the camera longer and not higher.. controls on the XDR facing to the left..
so it can fit in a bag more easily and if, during a shoot, i want to access the device i just bring the camera forward , rest it in my right arm pointing to the floor so all the controls arent upside down..easy access.. in theory.. for Tripod use you put it back in normal Config....

probably this is not possible because of the nature of the gold mount.. but this would be cool somehow..

Dan Keaton March 17th, 2009 02:48 AM

Dear Phillip,

In reference to powering the Canon XL H1 and the Flash XDR with an Anton Bauer battery:

The Canon Batteries do a great job of powering the XL H1 for a reasonable length of time.

The voltage that the camera needs is different than what is provided by the typical Anton Bauer battery, so a voltage converter is necessary.

The existing Anton Bauer Gold Mount for the XL H1, the QR-XLH, takes the same place as our Flash XDR mount.

While we could engineer such a device, we suggest using the Canon batteries to power the camera and the Anton Bauer battery to power the Flash XDR.

The Battery in the picture is a Hytron 50, 50 Watt-Hours, which is the same size as the Dionic 90, 90 Watt-Hours.

The Flash XDR draws 13 to 16 watts.

A 90 Watt-Hour Battery would provide approximately 5.63 hours of run time at 16 watts (90 divided by 16).

The Hytron 50's value would be 3.13 hours.

Remember these are approximate times. All provide more battery capacity than you actually need.

If there is a demand for larger Anton Bauer batteries, we could build another mount that adds more room, but we thought providing enough room for the popular Dionic 90 was a reasonable compromise.

Dan Keaton March 17th, 2009 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philipp Steiner (Post 1028874)
also cool would be, if the mount is changeable, so the XDR is making the camera longer and not higher.. controls on the XDR facing to the left..
so it can fit in a bag more easily and if, during a shoot, i want to access the device i just bring the camera forward , rest it in my right arm pointing to the floor so all the controls arent upside down..easy access.. in theory.. for Tripod use you put it back in normal Config....

probably this is not possible because of the nature of the gold mount.. but this would be cool somehow..

Dear Philipp,

I am not certain what you mean by "making the camera longer and not higher? Do you want the Flash XDR to be in a horizontal position?

We have other mounts available. One that is in a U-Shape which attaches to a full-size camera's Anton Bauer Mount, provides a Anton Bauer Gold Mount to attach a battery, and mounts the Flash XDR behind the battery.

We considered making the Flash XDR, on our U-Shaped Mount face sideways. We decided on making the Flash XDR point to the rear to minimize the overall length and to ensure proper balance.

In a future firmware release, we will be signaling the status of the Flash XDR while recording via the remote control LED. We will blink the LED under certain conditions and blink it faster if the problem requires immediate attention.

The XL H1, with the mount and the Flash XDR mounted fits nicely into the Petrol Bag sold by 16x9inc, 16x9 Inc. :: Products.

I am trying to picture in my mind: "during a shoot, i want to access the device i just bring the camera forward , rest it in my right arm pointing to the floor so all the controls arent upside down..easy access.. in theory.. ".

Unless I do not understand, you can do this now with the XL H1 mount and the Flash XDR pointing to the rear.

I do not understand: "so the controls aren't upside down", sorry. The controls on the Flash XDR are right-side up when the camera is right-side up.

We are not opposed at all to have the Flash XDR facing the side, it just made it longer and heavier. We can make an L-Shaped bracket if there is sufficient demand.

Just so you know, I wanted the Flash XDR to face the side also, but while we were developing the mount I did not like the extra length and weight.

Philipp Steiner March 17th, 2009 06:01 AM

thank you very much for the answers..

yeah.. its hard to explain what i mean.. but i think you got it alright.. you know.. if the XDR is horizontal all the controls would be 90 degrees rotated..now.. if you point the camera to the floor it rotates 90 Degrees back in normal Position.. Resting the Camera like a Baby in my right arm i could access the controls with my left hand.. but then of course its possible that there isnt enough Room for me to read the Controls properly..

you have the Device.. You thought through every Deatil and whats possible and what is not..

this was just a thought...

looking forward to it...

cheers,
phil

Tyge Floyd March 18th, 2009 11:54 AM

How much does the Flash XDR, mount and Dionic 90 battery weigh?
Same question for the nanoFlash?

The XDR is easily TWICE as large as I had imagined.
I hope the nanoFlash is truly nano in scale.

Michael Galvan March 18th, 2009 07:59 PM

Dan,

On another note, will the Flash XDR work with one of the stackable IDX batteries?

Like have the battery sandwiched between the XL mount and the XDR?