Image from Thomson Viper and Flash XDR at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Augusta Georgia
Posts: 5,413
Image from Thomson Viper and Flash XDR

This image is a frame capture from a Thomson Viper, as recorded by the Flash XDR.

The recording was 4:2:2, I-Frame Only, at 160 Mbps.

Then we captured this frame as a ".bmp" file, which was 6 MB.

In order to post it here, we converted it to a ".JPG", 332 KB.

In our opinion, the original recording, as displayed on a quality HD-SDI monitor, looks great.

The ".bmp" file also looks better than this ".jpg".

You may click on the image to enlarge it.


Here is a link to the original ".bmp" file

http://convergent-design.fileburst.c...psf24 160M.bmp

The image below is the ".jpg", the link above is better suited for image analysis.
Attached Thumbnails
Image from Thomson Viper and Flash XDR-1080psf24-160m.jpg  
__________________
Dan Keaton
Augusta Georgia

Last edited by Dan Keaton; March 18th, 2009 at 05:55 AM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
This image is a frame capture from a Thomson Viper, as recorded by the Flash XDR.

The recording was 4:2:2, I-Frame Only, at 160 Mbps.

Then we captured this frame as a ".bmp" file, which was 6 MB.

In order to post it here, we converted it to a ".JPG", 332 KB.

In our opinion, the original recording, as displayed on a quality HD-SDI monitor, looks great.

The ".bmp" file also looks better than this ".jpg".

You may click on the image to enlarge it.
....Dan, can you post a link to where we could download the original video file captured from the Viper onto the XDR and have a look at that ?
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Augusta Georgia
Posts: 5,413
Dear Mark,

Yes. Our file hosting service is down today. I will post the original as soon as I am able.
__________________
Dan Keaton
Augusta Georgia
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Mark,

Yes. Our file hosting service is down today. I will post the original as soon as I am able.
...Thank You :-)
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Augusta Georgia
Posts: 5,413
Dear Mark,

I have posted a link to the original ".bmp" image on our server.

The link is posted in the original post, #1 above and duplicated here for you convenience.

http://convergent-design.fileburst.c...psf24 160M.bmp

Image courtesy of:
HYPERCUBE

Production:
The Sacrafice of Old San Juan

Director:
AK Hottman

DoP:
Pablo Berron

DIT & Producer
Mark Read

We wish to thank Mark Read for sharing this image.
__________________
Dan Keaton
Augusta Georgia

Last edited by Dan Keaton; March 18th, 2009 at 12:23 PM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Mark,

I have posted a link to the original ".bmp" image on our server.

The link is posted in the original post, #1 above and duplicated here for you convenience.

http://convergent-design.fileburst.c...psf24 160M.bmp
...Thanks Dan. Yes this bitmap picture is much superior and does show a great deal more detail on the woman's face, her lips, her eyes, and her hair at the sides. The image is still has a little more grain than I like to see in the upper left side of the image the pixels are noticeable. If it is possible for you to post a short movie sequence from the original Viper capture to XDR, then I'd love to see that. I am sure it looks magnificent. Dan, what settings were these images captured at from the Viper ? Was it 24 FPS or 60i ?
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #7
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Augusta Georgia
Posts: 5,413
Dear Mark,

This was shot at 24p, using I-Frame Only mode at 160 Mbps.

I am sorry, but I can not post a sequence at this time.
__________________
Dan Keaton
Augusta Georgia
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Augusta Georgia
Posts: 5,413
Here is another image.

This image has been formatted for the correct aspect ratio.

The images I posted above were not corrected so they were compressed horizontally.

The actress is Rachel Weinstein.

Shot on Viper in WIDE 2.35:1 mode, with on 70mm DigiPrime to FLASH XDR.

Exported as non-compressed TIFF

Here is the captured 1920x1080, expanded into it's proper aspect and
resolution of 2538x1080:


http://convergent-design.fileburst.c..._Weinstein.tif
__________________
Dan Keaton
Augusta Georgia
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #9
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Here is another image.

This image has been formatted for the correct aspect ratio.

The images I posted above were not corrected so they were compressed horizontally.

The actress is Rachel Weinstein.

Shot on Viper in WIDE 2.35:1 mode, with on 70mm DigiPrime to FLASH XDR.

Exported as non-compressed TIFF

Here is the captured 1920x1080, expanded into it's proper aspect and
resolution of 2538x1080:


http://convergent-design.fileburst.c..._Weinstein.tif
....Yeah. Now that's even better with even more detail. The 160 Mbit encoding rate really shows its hand here. This image also shows that I Frame only MPEG 2 encoding can be very, very good. This kind of image would really pop out if it was transferred to 35 mm film and projected, or simply DLP digitally projected with their new Cinema Digital System. It is very difficult to judge quality on line unless you post the full video file and go view it on properly aligned HD studio monitor. A good way to evaluate these images would be to view the XDR clip from the Viper on a 10 bit via HD-SDI input into a 19 in Sony HD Monitor. I would have to say Ms. Weinstein looks even better than the earlier pictures you posted which were captured at 100 Mbit IBP frame Long GOP on XDR from the VIPER a few weeks back.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 628
The aspect ratio looks wrong to me. She's too fat (i.e. she needs to be stretched more). And no, I'm not being mean.

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #11
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Elk Grove CA
Posts: 6,838
Actually, that last file, appears to have right aspect ratio, the earlier ones showed up vertically stretched, at least to me.
__________________
Chris J. Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rockledge, Florida
Posts: 351
I agree...the last pic looks perfect.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:23 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network