DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Pretec 666x 64Gb card! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/146172-pretec-666x-64gb-card.html)

Chris Stevens March 19th, 2009 11:07 AM

Pretec 666x 64Gb card!

What do you chaps at Convergent think about these bad boys! (see link)
Pretec unveils 666x Compact Flash Cards: Digital Photography Review

Dan Keaton March 19th, 2009 01:05 PM

Dear Chris,

We will test it when it becomes available. We will have to verify their speed claims.

Pricing may be an issue when this is released.

Mark Job March 19th, 2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1030355)
Dear Chris,

We will test it when it becomes available. We will have to verify their speed claims.

Pricing may be an issue when this is released.

...I bet you some XDR users who experienced some playback jumps or glitches would never see them again with a CF card that fast ! ;-) Just a theory on my part.

Dan Keaton March 20th, 2009 06:15 AM

Dear Mark,

The only time we see jumps and glitches are when our I-Frame Only 160 Mbps mode is recorded on a slower card, or when a non-qualified card is used.

Our 160 Mbps I-Frame Only mode requires a Transcend 16 GB 300x card, or the SanDisk 32 GB Extreme III card.

A long time ago a friend asked me, "What is the strongest material in the world?".

The answer: "Paper! It will hold anything you put on it!"

Based on our experience in testing CompactFlash cards, it is best not to believe many manufacturers speed claims.

The 666 speed claim, if it is proven in tests, will probably be the read speed of the card and not the write speed, the speed that counts.

Mark Job March 20th, 2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1030688)
Dear Mark,

The only time we see jumps and glitches are when our I-Frame Only 160 Mbps mode is recorded on a slower card, or when a non-qualified card is used.

Our 160 Mbps I-Frame Only mode requires a Transcend 16 GB 300x card, or the SanDisk 32 GB Extreme III card.

.....This mode looks really good BTW. Much superior to your slower data rate Long GOP recording modes. Hopefully the faster CF cards will more easily facilitate recording in the I Frame only 160 Mb. Do you have a higher recording setting for I Frame only capture ?

Quote:

A long time ago a friend asked me, "What is the strongest material in the world?".

The answer: "Paper! It will hold anything you put on it!"

....?????????????????

Quote:

Based on our experience in testing CompactFlash cards, it is best not be believe many manufacturers speed claims.

The 666 speed claim, if it is proven in tests, will probably be the read speed of the card and not the write speed, the speed that counts.

....True. It is, as you imply - Companies often do exagerate claims about their products.