DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Timecode Trigger Problem with XLH1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/223577-timecode-trigger-problem-xlh1.html)

David G. Burt April 21st, 2009 04:25 PM

Timecode Trigger Problem with XLH1

Timecode trigger problem with an orignial XLH1, upto firmware 0.0.264 the timecode trigger worked OK, every update from 0.0.275 the timecode trigger won't work. Menu's are slected the same LTC & Timecode Trigger but it won't trigger the XDR to record when I press record on the XLH1, all that happens is the timecode just starts rolling the same as the XLH1 but doesn't start recording on the XDR. When I load 0.0.264 firmware back in the TC trigger works OK. Its not feasable for me to use a remote or record button on the XDR as I still want a backup on the XLH1 i.e. HDV tape.

Please note that the record button does work with the firmware updates when selected & the XDR does record when using the record button, its just won't work with TC trigger.

Will a further firmware update resolve this?

Tommy Schell April 22nd, 2009 09:26 AM

David,

we removed the timecode trigger via ltc because some people were getting thrown off, as in most cases a timecode generator is used for ltc and this caused the XDR to go immediately to record when timecode trigger is set (you can't set the generators to record run, of course).
But as you say the ltc is handy to use with the XL-H1's as a timecode trigger, particularly the older XL-H1's which don't place the timecode in the SDI stream.

I'll speak with everyone about this when they come back from NAB.

Tommy

David G. Burt April 27th, 2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Schell (Post 1124259)
David,

we removed the timecode trigger via ltc because some people were getting thrown off, as in most cases a timecode generator is used for ltc and this caused the XDR to go immediately to record when timecode trigger is set (you can't set the generators to record run, of course).
But as you say the ltc is handy to use with the XL-H1's as a timecode trigger, particularly the older XL-H1's which don't place the timecode in the SDI stream.

I'll speak with everyone about this when they come back from NAB.

Tommy

Can the Timecode trigger via LTC be added as a tick option on a future firmware update, this way the user has the choice whether to use it or not. I know the problems associated with the LTC i.e. automatically going into record mode when the XLH1 power ups/down & in/out of standby mode. I don't mind this as I just delete these files, Timecode trigger via LTC is an option I really want. I've now had to revert back to firmware 0.0.264 to gain access to the LTC option & now missing out on the features of the newer firmware updates.

Dan Keaton April 27th, 2009 02:55 PM

Dear David,

I hope we will be able to add this feature for you soon.

I agree that this should be available.

David G. Burt April 28th, 2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1134070)
Dear David,

I hope we will be able to add this feature for you soon.

I agree that this should be available.

Thanks for the reply, if Timecode trigger via LTC is added as a menu option, then the user has the option to select. If the user doesn't like the XDR going into record mode when the camcorder powers up/down or going into/out of standby mode then then user doesn't have to select Timecode trigger via LTC.

Tommy Schell May 11th, 2009 08:28 AM

Hi again,

We've re-enabled LTC timecode trigger with version 1.0.73 .
To simplify things, we didn't put it as a menu option, it simply depends on the System-> Trigger setting.
So our thinking is that if you want the LTC (or embedded timecode) trigger, set
System->Trigger to timecode trigger.
If you don't want to use the timecode trigger, then set System->Trigger to one of the other options.
And David, as you said the timecode trigger can be a little erratic because cameras such as the XL-H1 increment the timecode at unexpected times, such as during power-on, ejecting / inserting the tape into the camera, etc, so for anyone using timecode trigger please be aware of this.

Tommy Schell

David G. Burt May 11th, 2009 10:34 AM

Thanks for the update, I've been using the latest firmware update & found the LTC trigger to work perfectly with the XL-H1.