DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   nanoFlash Power Options (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/234541-nanoflash-power-options.html)

James Huenergardt May 3rd, 2009 07:39 AM

nanoFlash Power Options

I know a lot of us EX1 folks have the BP-U30 batteries that came with our cameras.

Will CD provide a raw hirose cable that we could solder into something like this: EX-V adapter

Dan Keaton May 3rd, 2009 09:02 AM

Dear James,

Yes, we could provide a proper Hirose power connector, cable, with bare wires on the other end, in the length you specify.

Also, we can provide the Dolgin battery adapter (battery mount), with the proper cable and connector.

Just let us know what you need and we can probably build it for you, or just supply the parts you need.

The Hirose connectors are great, superbly engineered products, but attaching a cable is difficult without the proper equipment. So we will be happy to do that for you.

As a side note, the nanoFlash draws around 6 to 7 watts. We expected 7 watts, but we are measuring 6 watts or under. In standby, we draw .5 watts.

With this low a power draw, your existing batteries should work well.

John Quick May 15th, 2009 12:45 AM

4 pin XLR to Hirose?

Can you supply 4 pin XLR (male) to Hirose? This would make powering with V-mount batteries feasible, as V-mount to XLR is readily available.

Dan Keaton May 15th, 2009 02:37 AM

Dear John,

Yes, we could supply a 4-Pin XLR (Male) to 4-Pin Hirose power cable.

What overall length from end to end would you want?

John Quick May 15th, 2009 01:37 PM

Thanks for the info

Thanks, Dan, it's good to know this would be available. I'm not ready to get one yet - I need to look inot just how the V-mount battery will be carried - on waist, or as rear counterweight for the camera.

Dan Keaton May 15th, 2009 07:01 PM

Dear John,

We can also supply an IDX V-Mount plate.

We can build a custom setup with a Hirose Connector, with any reasonable length of power cable you want, to the IDX V- Mount plate.

This would allow you to place the V-Mount battery anywhere you wanted.

David Schmerin June 4th, 2009 12:46 PM

Questions from the "Not as smart as everyone else" Camp...

In thinking about the Nano and it occurred to me that I really do not understand how the Nano will be powered out of the box. I am assuming that some sort of device to get power to the Nano will be provided with the unit in the box but I could be mistaken.

I can not seem to tell if the Nano will require independent power or is the unit designed to share power from the camera.

I could see situations where I would want the Nano and its power source on my belt with just an HD-SDI cable from my belt to the camera. I can see another situation where the Nanos would be sitting in the truck with the director and connected to monitors...

Given we established a long time ago that I am just not that smart and need things explained in the simplest of terms, can someone tell me how this all works. I saw in another post at the beginning of this thread a post of someone showing some kind of power connectors that looked like they were supposed to use the batteries that run the EX1. I think it was the EX-V adapter but when I called the company they didn't know why kind of adapter they were going to need, I am still don't get it.

Please be kind to the stupid, we have to try harder!

David Schmerin
Speaking for a minority of one

Mike Schell June 5th, 2009 06:53 PM

nanoFlash Power Options

Hi David-
The power requirements/options for the nanoFlash are fairly simple. The power input is DC voltage anywhere from 6.5 to 19.5V. nanoFlash has a very low power requirment of under 6 Watts (ie 0.5A at 12V).

The power input is via an industry standard 4-pin locking Hirose connector (the FAQ has details on the pin-out). We are in the process of developing power cables for 4-pin Hirose to D-Tap, 4-pin Hirose to 4-pin Hirose (for shoulder-mount cameras) and 4-pin Hirose to 4-pin XLR. Additionally, we are working on a Li-Ion battery option. A small 2-cell battery, which weights about 1/4 lb (100 g) will power the nanoFlash for 3.5 hours.

So, power options include the D-Tap from a SWIT battery, D-Tap from a Coco adapter (from Bebob), the 12V output from a shoulder mount camera or the optional Li-Ion battery we will offer.

Do you have a specific camera you wish to use with the nanoFlash?

Thanks-

David Schmerin June 6th, 2009 10:46 AM

Power to the Morons!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Schell (Post 1154688)
Hi David-
The power requirements/options for the nanoFlash are fairly simple. The power input is DC voltage anywhere from 6.5 to 19.5V. nanoFlash has a very low power requirment of under 6 Watts (ie 0.5A at 12V).

The power input is via an industry standard 4-pin locking Hirose connector (the FAQ has details on the pin-out). We are in the process of developing power cables for 4-pin Hirose to D-Tap, 4-pin Hirose to 4-pin Hirose (for shoulder-mount cameras) and 4-pin Hirose to 4-pin XLR. Additionally, we are working on a Li-Ion battery option. A small 2-cell battery, which weights about 1/4 lb (100 g) will power the nanoFlash for 3.5 hours.

So, power options include the D-Tap from a SWIT battery, D-Tap from a Coco adapter (from Bebob), the 12V output from a shoulder mount camera or the optional Li-Ion battery we will offer.

Do you have a specific camera you wish to use with the nanoFlash?

Thanks-

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, but for the purposes of this discussion, we don't have a camera. If we use your XDR units it is strictly as a backup for what ever camera or studio deck we are using at the time. Which is fine because we are not using the units to improve recording ability like EX1 and EX3 people...

So being that I am not too bright perhaps I did not phrase my question correctly so I will try again...

What power supply options are to be included with the NanoFlash? Will there be included in the NanoFlash packaging a DC converter for those of us who just want to plug into an A/C outlet? Or how about that small 2 cell battery you are developing? Any power cables or adapters at all?

I am sitting in an empty hotel room. Fedex delivers a brand new NanoFlash. I open the box and remove the unit. How will I power up the unit to see if it even turns on?

David Schmerin
Separated by six degrees to that guy who played "Stork" in Animal House (God Rest His Soul)

Mike Schell June 6th, 2009 11:43 AM

Hi David-

The nanoFlash ships with a 100-240VAC adapter (12V DC output to a 4-pin Hirose plug). We are building the following power options:

1) 4-Pin Hirose to D-Tap cable (which allows connection to many batteries and adapters).
2) 4-Pin Hirose to 4-Pin Hirose (for shoulder mount cameras from Panasonic and Sony)
3) 4-pin Hirose to XLR (for many industry standard power sources).
4) Custom 2-Cell Li-ion battery and charger. Battery pak will mount on the side of the nanoFlash and provide 3.5 hours of operating time.

BTW, the nanoFlash does display the battery voltage on the LCD monitor and can be programmed to automatically stop recording, close the file and switch to low-power mode when the battery level is too low. It can also be programmed to switch to low-power mode (0.1W) when the HD-SDI input is no longer valid (such as when the camera is turned off).

Best-

Ron Little August 4th, 2010 01:16 PM

I just bought a Nanoflash from BH Photo to use with a Sony V1. How can I power it using the L series battery that is on the camera?

Dan Keaton August 4th, 2010 01:36 PM

Dear Ron,

When your Sony L Series battery is mounted on the camera, their is no way that I know of to get power out of the camera to power the nanoFlash.

Now, if you want to use your Sony L Series batteries to power the nanoFlash, using one to power the camera and one to power the nanoFlash, then this is possible.

Alex Dolgin makes battery cradles that will power the nanoFlash using the Sony L-Series batteries.

www.dolgin.net

Another way is to use another type of battery. We offer a small, 3.8 oz, 2-Cell Lithium-Ion battery that powers the nanoFlash for approximately three hours. And we offer a charger for this battery.

Some of our dealers stock this battery and charger.

One place that does is www.nanoFlash.net, they also offer other battery and charger solutions.

Dan Keaton August 4th, 2010 01:37 PM

Dear Ron,

I will sent you a Private Message with my phone numbers so we can discuss your power needs.

Ron Little August 4th, 2010 03:32 PM

Thank you for your response. I just ordered the Nanoflash. I should have it in hand this weekend so, after I get it and get my head wrapped around how everything is going to work I will figure out which way I am going to power it. Can I power it from a car cigarette lighter and 12 volt power source?

Dan Keaton August 4th, 2010 06:28 PM

Dear Ron,

Yes.

A cigarette lighter plug to 4-Pin Hirose power cable is sold by nanoFlash.net.