DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Canon XL H1 and NanoFlash (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/236539-canon-xl-h1-nanoflash.html)

Hank Bridgeman June 1st, 2009 04:35 PM

Canon XL H1 and NanoFlash

I know it is “recommended” to use the Flash XDR for use with the Canon XL H1, but is it possible to use the NanoFlash? Can the NanoFlash generate its own Time Code?
Since the Canon H1 does not have time code and audio embedded in the SDI signal is it still possible to get audio from the H1?

Thanks,

Hank

Dan Keaton June 1st, 2009 07:16 PM

Dear Hank,

Both the Flash XDR and the nanoFlash have timecode inputs, so the timecode out of the original XL H1 can be connected to the nanoFlash.

Alternatively, both the Flash XDR and nanoFlash can generate their own timecode.

The Flash XDR has better audio circuits, two XLR balanced mic/line with switchable phantom power.

But the nanoFlash does have one balanced mic input / two unbalanced mic inputs / two unbalanced consumer level line inputs via a single 3.5mm input jack. The mic level inputs are limited to 44 db gain, and their is no phantom power.

For some the nanoFlash audio is good enough, or perfectly acceptable.

For both units, if there is audio embedded in the HD-SDI signal, it can be recorded (two channels).

In all cases, the audio is recorded at 24-Bit / 48K.

In summary, it is possible to get timecode and audio from the original XL H1 and input it into the nanoFlash. Just remember that the audio, as processed by the XL H1 will be 16-Bit. Whereas audio input directly into the Flash XDR will be recorded as 24 bit.

Hank Bridgeman June 2nd, 2009 02:20 PM

Thanks Dan,

This is good news. I want to get a couple more years out of my H1
I see the nanoflash is sold out for June, when would the next run be available?

Hank

Dan Keaton June 2nd, 2009 02:43 PM

Dear Hank,

We are currently taking orders for July delivery of the nanoFlash.

This is unlikely, but parts availability may affect the delivery date.

Ronan Fournier June 22nd, 2009 02:24 AM

Hello Dan,

1/ Where are the 3,5mm jack audio input and Timecode input on the NanoFlash? I can't find them on pictures.

2/ So, to summarize the use of NanoFlash with the original XLH1, we need either 3 cables connections between camera and NanoFalsh (SDI, audio & TC) if we take out the TC from the camera, or 2 cables (SDI & audio) if the NanoFlash generate its own TC. Is it right?

3/ If we import the TC from the camera, does the Nanoflash can detect that we press the record trigger of the XLH1 for start/stop the recording, and starts/stops its recording too?

Thank you.

Dan Keaton June 22nd, 2009 02:33 AM

Dear Ronan,

The pictures are of the pre-production model and do not show the 3.5mm audio input plug, nor the 3.5mm headphone output/Line Level output plug.

Your Item 2 is correct.

Your Item 3 is correct. But, remember if we use "Incrementing Timecode" to start the nanoFlash, we record when the timecode is incrementing and stop when it stops.

This sounds great, and it is, but there are some practical considerations.

1. When you turn on your camera, the timecode rolls for a few seconds.
To avoid this, just turn on the nanoFlash after turning on the camera, or just ignore the small clip that we record when this happens.

2. You need to use Record Run timecode (no problem).

3. You need to have a tape in the camera.
Otherwise, timecode will not roll.

4. When the tape is full, timecode stops, and then we stop.
This may not be what you want us to do, especially for long events.
For some types of shooting this works great, for long events, you will want to record via the record button on the nanoFlash or the remote control.

Ronan Fournier October 21st, 2009 04:27 AM

Hello Dan,
In order to use the orginal XLH1 with the Nano, where can I find the cable that allows 10-pin hirose to bnc connector LTC timecode input?
Do the Nano's retailers sell it or do I have to order it to Convergent Design? (I'm in France).
Thank you.

Dan Keaton October 21st, 2009 06:45 AM

Dear Ronan,

We offer the following cables

Timecode Input cable for the nanoFlash, with either Male or Female BNC connector

Remote Control cable for the nanoFlash, normally 6' in length

Remote Control + Timecode Input cable for the nanoFlash, normally 6' in length.

Each of these cables can be custom built to order.

One option, for the timecode input, is to have a Male BNC so that cable can be directly attached to a timecode source, which is usually a Female BNC.

Another is to have a Female BNC, so that another Male BNC timecode cable can be plugged in directly.

The length of the timecode cable can be specified, as can the length of the Remote Control cable, both of which go into one 10-Pin Hirose connector.

Ronan, you can order these from your dealer.

I have also sent you a private email.