DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   220 Mbps I-Frame-Only In Next Release (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/236562-220-mbps-i-frame-only-next-release.html)

Mike Schell June 1st, 2009 08:05 PM

220 Mbps I-Frame-Only In Next Release

We have some very exciting news for Flash XDR and nanoFlash customers: the next firmware release of the Flash XDR and the initial shipments of the nanoFlash will now include 220 Mbps I-Frame Only recording and playback!

We have confirmed playback in Avid Media Composer and FCP. We plan to post test files for Edius users. Vegas and Premiere support is still pending, but we will send test files to the developers.

220 Mbps I-Frame-Only 4:2:2 should alleviate any concerns regarding motion artifacts as well as compression artifacts. It looks absolutely stunning!

We should qualify the 16GB Sandisk Extreme IV and the 16GB Lexar 300X Compact Flash cards this week. Record time is approximately 9 minutes per card.

Best-

Dan Keaton June 2nd, 2009 02:43 AM

Dear Friends,

Please note that only cards qualified for use with 220 Mbps I-Frame Only, should be used for this mode.

Please do not rely on "x" speed ratings, or manufacturer's "Megabyte per Second" ratings.

We will qualify the cards to ensure that they will work for you.

John Quick June 2nd, 2009 01:19 PM

I hope Vegas can read them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Schell (Post 1152491)
Vegas and Premiere support is still pending, but we will send test files to the developers.

Please let us know when you hear from the Vegas folk!

Dan Keaton June 2nd, 2009 01:22 PM

Dear John,

We are working with Sony.

We will keep you informed of our progress.

Our 220 Mbps I-Frame Only works very well in Final Cut Pro, and others at this time, but not Vegas.

Justin Benn June 2nd, 2009 05:13 PM

:^)

Outstanding. Loving 100 mbps Long GOP. Can't wait to try 220mbps I-frame.

So far, no problems with my Transcend eight 16gb 300x UDMA cards on my 09 MBP (10.5.7) and 09 Nehalem MP (10.5.6). Hoping they'll still suffice.
JB.

Dan Keaton June 2nd, 2009 07:21 PM

Dear Justin,

For a while, we did not see any Leopard related problems with the Transcend 16 GB 300x cards.

Now we have.

So we are not recommending the Transcend cards.

But, they may work for you if you follow our advice and not Eject the cards, or drag and drop the icon to the Trash Bin. But, this is not a guaranty.

I am glad that they are working for you.

Piotr Wozniacki June 3rd, 2009 06:30 AM

Vegas ?

Mike and Dan,

This is a really thrilling news indeed!

As a Vegas user, may I ask you whether you have a hint from SCS that Vegas will support I-frame at all in a foreseeable future?

I've tested your 100 Mbps long-GOP samples with both VP 8 and 9, and they are handled excellently :)

Regards

Piotr

Dan Keaton June 3rd, 2009 07:33 AM

Dear Piotr,

We do not know what Vegas does not accept our I-Frame Only.

We are working with Sony on this.

Sony is very cooperative.

Piotr Wozniacki June 3rd, 2009 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1153347)

Sony is very cooperative.

This is what I hoped to hear - thanks Dan!

Piotr

Mike Marriage June 3rd, 2009 09:53 AM

Is there or will there be 10 bit recording?

Dennis Dillon June 3rd, 2009 03:47 PM

Nano Demo

Dan,
We had chatted back in April with regards to testing the XDR Flash with Sony /PDW-700 Ex1/3 for an upcoming new CBS Network series. Well, we now have the go ahead, and my desire would be to test the Nano due to its smaller footprint. As I can see from the posts above the Nano is moving along very well. The 220 I Frame capability should rock. Please drop me a line when ever possible.
xdhd@mac.com

Emmanuel Plakiotis June 4th, 2009 10:11 AM

Dan

In an older reply of yours regarding a threat I've started about quality you have stated that the 100Mbit GOP fares better than 160Mbit I-Frame. I guess the 220Mbit setting will be your new quality champ, outperfoming the 100Mbit GOP. Can you tell us the quality ratio between GOP and I Frame in Mpeg2 compression?

Mike Schell June 6th, 2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Marriage (Post 1153414)
Is there or will there be 10 bit recording?

Hi Mike-
The nanoFlash is an 8-bit recorder. However, unless your camera produces an (effective) 10-bit HD-SDI output, then there is nothing to be gained from 10-bit recording.

I'll have a separate thread on the issues of 8-bit vs 10-bit recording shortly.

Best-

Mike Schell June 6th, 2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis (Post 1153922)
Dan

In an older reply of yours regarding a threat I've started about quality you have stated that the 100Mbit GOP fares better than 160Mbit I-Frame. I guess the 220Mbit setting will be your new quality champ, outperfoming the 100Mbit GOP. Can you tell us the quality ratio between GOP and I Frame in Mpeg2 compression?

Hi Emmanuel-
Long-GOP recording is about 2X to 3X more efficient that I-Frame only. 99% of all the video on planet earth is Long-GOP as it is used in all Television broadcast and DVD/Blu-Ray disks.

Long-GOP can theoretically break down in high-motion conditions, but in all honesty, we have seen any issues from any 100 Mbps Long-GOP footage, even in very high motions situations, including rotating the camera while panning. That said, we added the 220 Mbps I-Frame to alleviate any concerns regarding motion or compression artifacts. The 220 Mbps footage does look spectacular and plays back perfect in FCP and Avid.

220 Mbps does require that faster CF cards (Sandisk Extreme IV or Lexar 300X, which caost about $150 for a 16GB card). Also 220 Mbps cuts the record time in half compared the 100Mbps Long-GOP.

Best-

John Quick June 8th, 2009 07:18 PM

100 Mbps still the champ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Schell (Post 1154896)
Long-GOP recording is about 2X to 3X more efficient than I-Frame only.

So 100 Mbps long GOP would have (slightly) less compression that 220 Mbps I-frame?
(As well as allowing longer recording time per card.)