DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Simple but effective Flash XDR – Sony PMW EX3, tripod mounting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/237479-simple-but-effective-flash-xdr-sony-pmw-ex3-tripod-mounting.html)

Ofer Levy June 16th, 2009 11:48 PM

Simple but effective Flash XDR – Sony PMW EX3, tripod mounting

4 Attachment(s)
I have been using this very simple but effective mounting and thought I should share it.
Made of soft flat galvanized metal bent to shape as shown in the attached images. I used a black tape to cover the metal.
The Anton Bouer ELIPZ battery is screwed onto the back of the Flash XDR.
I only work outdoors using a tripod so hanging the Flash XDR on the tripod is a good way that works for me.

Cheers,
Ofer Levy Photography

Paul Dhadialla June 17th, 2009 12:31 AM

Hey Ofer, looking at that it seems a little bit unstable. Call me paranoid :)

What about a rectangular bag. You can cut out one side, sew the edges down and use velcro to attach or peel of the side so you can access the panel.
You can then even hang it on your shoulder.

Even a sling would be very cool

I don't have a CD product yet - but looking @ the nano for my EX1 once it is released

Cheers
Paul

Paul Dhadialla June 17th, 2009 12:36 AM

Ofer, by the way - how do you find the 50mbs/100mbs over HD-SDI?

How do they compare to the 35/mbs from the camera

Paul

Ofer Levy June 17th, 2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Dhadialla (Post 1159519)
Hey Ofer, looking at that it seems a little bit unstable. Call me paranoid :)

What about a rectangular bag. You can cut out one side, sew the edges down and use velcro to attach or peel of the side so you can access the panel.
You can then even hang it on your shoulder.

Even a sling would be very cool

I don't have a CD product yet - but looking @ the nano for my EX1 once it is released

Cheers
Paul

Hi Paul, it is actually quite stable - keep in mind everything is pretty heavy in this setup...
Since I work with very long telephoto lenses I can't afford having any movement in my setup that can introduce vibrations - so that rules out a bag which otherwise can work fine.
You can download a short (but very heavy) clip I shot with this setup from the C-D webiste on the Flash XDR product page and see for yourself.
Cheers mate,
Ofer

Justin Benn June 17th, 2009 06:13 AM

Interesting.

I guess if you don't have to move the legs around too much, you'll be fine. I've been using a separate small table or chair for recent indoor shoots and been hanging the XDR by its handle on the end of my Zacuto rails for outdoor clips. I also run cables to a separate monitor.

I keep meaning to pick one up but have yet to get around to buying one of those Portabrace pieces shown here a while back. When I get around to another round of buying shortly it'll be top of my list:

PortaBrace - Product Detail:AR-XDR

I may need to get some kind of underslung netting for my tripod(s) too I guess. Any recs?

J.

Paul Dhadialla June 17th, 2009 06:31 AM

Hey Justin, wow that was my exact conceptual design - I didn't realize Portabrace already had one :)

Thanks!
Paul

Jeff Silverman June 17th, 2009 06:32 AM

Justin and Ofer,

We designed the Portabrace case for the XDR and it has D-rings which can easily be used to attach it to a tripod. It also offers greater protection from the elements including dust, moisture and scratches. All functions can be easily accessed with the case on the unit.

For readers of this board we can do a bit better on price as well.

Jeff

Ofer Levy June 17th, 2009 07:15 AM

Thanks Jeff, somehow managed to miss this nice solution. Will have a more serious look.
Cheers,

Ofer

Justin Benn June 18th, 2009 02:07 PM

!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Silverman (Post 1159605)
Justin and Ofer,

For readers of this board we can do a bit better on price as well.

Jeff

Expect an email from me in the next 10 days (or as soon as my current client forwards the next chunk due). Thanks!

Jus.

Justin Benn June 18th, 2009 03:44 PM

Yes - I take risks too.

1 Attachment(s)
Just so you know that I'm not a sanctimonious git and take risks with gear too...

Dan Keaton June 18th, 2009 05:26 PM

Dear Friends,

If you have 15mm rails, at the back of your camera, we have a Flash XDR mount for you.

It places the Flash XDR at a slight angle, and offers an optional Anton Bauer Gold Mount adapter for Anton Bauer batteries.