Simple but effective Flash XDR – Sony PMW EX3, tripod mounting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Simple but effective Flash XDR – Sony PMW EX3, tripod mounting

I have been using this very simple but effective mounting and thought I should share it.
Made of soft flat galvanized metal bent to shape as shown in the attached images. I used a black tape to cover the metal.
The Anton Bouer ELIPZ battery is screwed onto the back of the Flash XDR.
I only work outdoors using a tripod so hanging the Flash XDR on the tripod is a good way that works for me.

Cheers,
Ofer Levy Photography
Attached Thumbnails
Simple but effective Flash XDR – Sony PMW EX3, tripod mounting-whole-set-up.jpg   Simple but effective Flash XDR – Sony PMW EX3, tripod mounting-flash-xdr-camera-cu.jpg  

Simple but effective Flash XDR – Sony PMW EX3, tripod mounting-falsh-xdr-mounting-back.jpg   Simple but effective Flash XDR – Sony PMW EX3, tripod mounting-flash-xdr-mounting-system.jpg  

Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Ofer, looking at that it seems a little bit unstable. Call me paranoid :)

What about a rectangular bag. You can cut out one side, sew the edges down and use velcro to attach or peel of the side so you can access the panel.
You can then even hang it on your shoulder.

Even a sling would be very cool

I don't have a CD product yet - but looking @ the nano for my EX1 once it is released

Cheers
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ofer, by the way - how do you find the 50mbs/100mbs over HD-SDI?

How do they compare to the 35/mbs from the camera

Paul
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dhadialla View Post
Hey Ofer, looking at that it seems a little bit unstable. Call me paranoid :)

What about a rectangular bag. You can cut out one side, sew the edges down and use velcro to attach or peel of the side so you can access the panel.
You can then even hang it on your shoulder.

Even a sling would be very cool

I don't have a CD product yet - but looking @ the nano for my EX1 once it is released

Cheers
Paul
Hi Paul, it is actually quite stable - keep in mind everything is pretty heavy in this setup...
Since I work with very long telephoto lenses I can't afford having any movement in my setup that can introduce vibrations - so that rules out a bag which otherwise can work fine.
You can download a short (but very heavy) clip I shot with this setup from the C-D webiste on the Flash XDR product page and see for yourself.
Cheers mate,
Ofer
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Interesting.

I guess if you don't have to move the legs around too much, you'll be fine. I've been using a separate small table or chair for recent indoor shoots and been hanging the XDR by its handle on the end of my Zacuto rails for outdoor clips. I also run cables to a separate monitor.

I keep meaning to pick one up but have yet to get around to buying one of those Portabrace pieces shown here a while back. When I get around to another round of buying shortly it'll be top of my list:

PortaBrace - Product Detail:AR-XDR

I may need to get some kind of underslung netting for my tripod(s) too I guess. Any recs?

J.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Justin, wow that was my exact conceptual design - I didn't realize Portabrace already had one :)

Thanks!
Paul
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Justin and Ofer,

We designed the Portabrace case for the XDR and it has D-rings which can easily be used to attach it to a tripod. It also offers greater protection from the elements including dust, moisture and scratches. All functions can be easily accessed with the case on the unit.

For readers of this board we can do a bit better on price as well.

Jeff
Jeff Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Jeff, somehow managed to miss this nice solution. Will have a more serious look.
Cheers,

Ofer
Old June 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #9
Major Player

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Silverman View Post
Justin and Ofer,

For readers of this board we can do a bit better on price as well.

Jeff
Expect an email from me in the next 10 days (or as soon as my current client forwards the next chunk due). Thanks!

Jus.
Old June 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #10
Major Player

Yes - I take risks too.

Just so you know that I'm not a sanctimonious git and take risks with gear too...
Attached Thumbnails
Simple but effective Flash XDR – Sony PMW EX3, tripod mounting-p1000372_2.jpg  
Old June 18th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

If you have 15mm rails, at the back of your camera, we have a Flash XDR mount for you.

It places the Flash XDR at a slight angle, and offers an optional Anton Bauer Gold Mount adapter for Anton Bauer batteries.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey