nanoFlash Features - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:48 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Dear Eugen,

I have sent you a private email.
Old June 26th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #17
New Boot

Record start/stop on Nano

Maybe a dumb question.... in using the Nano Flash with a Sony Ex-3 for instance, and assuming connecting with HD/SDI, will it be possible to start and stop recording with the camera's start button on the lens..... or must one always activate recording from the nano itself?

Thanks
David Skillicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Dear David,

It is certainly possible to setup the nanoFlash to record whenever your Sony EX1/EX3 rolls timecode.

To do this, be certain to use Record Run timecode so that the timecode only rolls when you want to record.

The Sony EX1/EX3 usually requires a memory card in order to roll timecode.

Alternatively, one can start the nanoFlash by pressing the record button, or by pressing the remote control which has a tally light.
Old June 27th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #19
Inner Circle

When you're talking about overcranking, are you saying that if the camera puts out say 720/60P you'll only be able to get 60fps, or are you going to be able to select 1-60fps?
And presumably the 60 frames would be laid down in blocks of 25 per second or whatever your normal frame rate is so that they'll play back slomo straight out of the box? Otherwise you can already do slomo by recording 60P and conforming in Cinema Tools. Incidentally this to me seems to be a big advantage of I-frame, it can go straight into CT while long GOP needs transcoding to ProRes etc first - or am I missing something?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
When you're talking about overcranking, are you saying that if the camera puts out say 720/60P you'll only be able to get 60fps, or are you going to be able to select 1-60fps?
With our over and undercranking feature, you will be able to specify 1 to 60 frames per second (providing your camera is giving us 720p60 (or 720p59.94).

Quote:

And presumably the 60 frames would be laid down in blocks of 25 per second or whatever your normal frame rate is so that they'll play back slomo straight out of the box?
Steve, I am not certain about this. It appears that you want us to play slo-mo directly out of the Flash XDR / nanoFlash.

This is tough since many HD-SDI monitors can only accepct 60 (59.94) fields per second (30 (29.97) frames per second.)

For example PSF (Progressive Segmented Frames) is designed to provide 60 fields per second, while preserving the full integrity of the progrssive frames.

HD-SDI is typically (but not always) 60i over the HD-SDI link regardless if the data is Interlaced, or Progressive when using PSF.

Quote:

Otherwise you can already do slomo by recording 60P and conforming in Cinema Tools.
True.

Quote:
Incidentally this to me seems to be a big advantage of I-frame, it can go straight into CT while long GOP needs transcoding to ProRes etc first - or am I missing something?
Steve
Steve, we may require I-Frame Only when using over and under-cranking.

We are debating this internally. Time will tell. We will test our over and under-cranking in both I-Frame Only and Long Gop.

By "CT" I am assuming that you mean Cinema Tools.
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Steve, I am not certain about this. It appears that you want us to play slo-mo directly out of the Flash XDR / nanoFlash.

This is tough since many HD-SDI monitors can only accepct 60 (59.94) fields per second (30 (29.97) frames per second.)

Presumably you'll have to set the Nano to record say 720/25P, then choose your overcrank frame rate at 1-60fps. This will then be the same as P2 Native frame rates and Sony S&Q motion. This way when you play the HD SDI feed will register it as 720/25P and so play slomo.
It's all exciting stuff!
Steve
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

I do not know which camera you use.

We do know that quite a few Sony PDW-700 camera users are very excited about the nanoFlash.

1. They now get 100 and 140 Mbps Long Gop options.

2. They now get 100/140/160/220 Mbps I-Frame Only options.

3. They now get over and under-cranking.

For some other cameras, the pre-record buffer is a nice addition, but the PDW-700 already has this feature.
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I've got a PDW700, but toying with changing it to get easier slomo, as from XDCam yuou need to transcode to an I Frame codec before it'll got through Cinema Tools - a major hassle and I'm sure a qulaity loss too. It is also very nice to be able to just play back slomo from the camera, as in Panasonics HPX cameras, and also the Sony EXs.
Steve
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

May I humbly suggest that prior to replacing you fine PDW-700 camera, you consider testing it with a nanoFlash.

We are close to shipping our initial nanoFlashes.

Our over and under-cranking feature may not be available with our initial shipments.
However, we expect it to be released in a very reasonable time frame, say late July or early August.

We gave our Pre-Record Buffer feature higher priority and it will be included in our next release, expected next week.
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Might well do that Dan - save me a lot of money too!
Even without the overcrank feature it looks like just being able to record 720/60P to an I frame coded will do what I want - it's just a simple conform in CT then to 25fps and hey presto!
Thanks as always for the quick resoonses.
Steve
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Am I right in thinking that I'll also be able to connect the Nano to the HDMI on my HDTV? At present I can only go to a monitor via HDSDI or to my TV via a crappy analog cable.
Steve
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Yes, one of the major new features that we added to the nanoFlash is HDMI In and HDMI Out.

If you use HD-SDI in, you get both HD-SDI and HDMI Out.

If you use HDMI in, you get both HD-SDI and HDMI Out.

You do not have to be recording for the above to work. The nanoFlash also works as a stand-alone converter.

This is great on set as you can use a HDMI monitor (if you so choose), and fabulous off set as you can use any available HDMI equipped TV to show your footage.

Since the nanoFlash is very portable and weighs less than one pound, it is easy to imagine taking it to a hotel room to review the footage shot today.

In order to protect the footage, we have a mode in which the nanoFlash /Flash XDR can be prevented from recording or formatting the cards.
Old June 27th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Steve, when I get mine your more than welcome to have a play. Maybe we can meet up and compare notes some day.
Old June 27th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Thanks Alister, this sure does look like a really amazing bit of kit, and if I can make use the excellent chip on the 700 by having it go into an A1 codec maybe it'll be the dream ticket - until 10 bit 4:4:4 1080/60P comes around! Although I suppose it already has with the SR9000 - let me check my wallet!
Steve
Old June 28th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #30
Inner Circle

I think the nano Flash will be an extremly useful device. At first I just thought it would be a good way to improve the EX3, but now I'm getting excited by what will be possible with other cameras. A 700 with the nanoflash should produce pictures virtually indestinguishable from a stock SRW9000 HDCAM SR camcorder as they both share the same sensors and the stock 9000 is 4:2:2. Being able to use it for overcrank will be fantastic. I will also be using it with my Hxr-mc1 pov mini cam to get betterquality than the restricted Avchd codec. Hopefuly it won't be long now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey