nanoFlash Features - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:00 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Just to be clear:

Of course, you can take the CompactFlash cards that you created, and a nanoFlash, to any HDMI TV and review the footage without any intervening steps.

There is a facility for selecting the desired clip, based on Clip Number or Timecode, and then press Play. Or you can play all of the clip. Or you can play a clip, and then skip to the next, or backup to the previous clip.

The output is to both HD-SDI and HDMI.

This is a feature that will be available on the nanoFlash from day 1, we do not need the utility to do this.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM   #47
Inner Circle

So just to be double clear! If you shoot a clip on the Nanoflash, dump it to a hard drive, delete the clip from the card, then reload it from the hard drive to the card will it then play straight off? ie any clip recorded by the XDR/Nano and archived will load straight back in and play.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:56 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Yes, that is true, but here is the secret.

We have one special file that we write to the card.

If you format a card, then put prerecorded files back on the card, they will not play.

However, if you leave our special file on the card, then the files that you put on the card will play.

Or if you format a card, then record a few seconds to the card, you can have the lens cap on, then this special file will be created. Then you can put other files on the card.

Frankly, I think we can make this easier, but everything takes time and we have higher priorities.

If you make a complete copy of a CompactFlash card, then you can restore everything to the same card or a similar card at a later time.

(I think I have all of these details correct, but they are subject to confirmation and correction by our engineers.)
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:25 PM   #49
Inner Circle

That all sounds pretty simple as a temporary solution though. And when you empty a card after use, instead of formatting it again if you just select all movie files and delete them will the "special" file still be on there?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Yes, Exactly!

I have thought about my answer quite a bit before posting this.

While the above should work, I am more comfortable with you reformatting the card as opposed to deleting files.

The reason is that the File Allocation Table is a complicated beast.

When we format (initialize) a card, any "leftovers" are removed.

I would perfer that you actually initialize the card.
Old July 5th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #51
Major Player

I'm assuming all this will be available when I receive my nanoFlash unit?

I'm wanting to use the nanoFlash to play my HD demo reel at a trade show the first week in August.

Thanks,

Jim
Old July 5th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Dear James,

By "all of this", I am assuming that you mean the nanoFlash that you pre-ordered and the File Converter Utility.

We are scheduled to ship your nanoFlash before the end of July.

A working, "Beta Version" of the File Converter Utility is downloadable from our website today.

I do not feel that we will have an newer version of the converter posted by the time we ship your nanoFlash.

You could test the utility today, if you so desire.

Thus, you could use our utility to produce a file in our format. Then, if desired, you could play the new file in your NLE, just as a way to prove that our utility works.

Note: Our utility is limited to approximately 4 GB "chunks".

If your file is larger, then just set up and render your larger file in segments so that each segment is less than 4 GB.

When the individual files are loaded to a CompactFlash card, the nanoFlash will play the files, in sequence, seamlessly, provided that they are all in the same format, 720 or 1080.

Also, the File Converter Utility is not needed, if your computer has a HD-SDI output capability. If it does, just play your timeline to your HD-SDI output and record to the nanoFlash.

We have not tested it, but if you can play your timeline to HDMI, the nanoFlash could record your timeline in the same manner.

Please note that HDMI never has timecode, as this is a limiitation of HDMI. But the nanoFlash can generate timecode on its own, if desired.
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

Playing a timeline out of a computer, using an HDMI or DVI-D Video Graphics Card can be iffy.

If you have the right video card, if it supports the correct resolutions, color space, and frame rate, then it should work fine.

But, some only suport "True 60" frame rate instead of 59.94, and this may cause a problem.

In any case, it should be tested on an individual basis.

Another very good way to get a timeline out of a Mac (with an ExpressCard 34 slot), is the Matrox MXO2 Mini at only $450 (US).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey