nanoFlash Features at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 19th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #1
Inner Circle

nanoFlash Features

Dear Friends,

The initial shipments for the nanoFlash are scheduled for early July.

Our final parts were due in on June 20th, but we were informed recently that they were delayed until June 29th. This is causing us a slight delay in shipping our initial nanoFlashes.

The nanoFlash will ship with:

All of the video modes / formats / bit rates / options that are currently in our Flash XDR, plus:

100, 140, 160 and 220 Mbps I-Frame Only support (160 and 220 Mbps require fast CompactFlash cards)

35 Mbps 4:2:0 Long GOP mode (The same as produced by the Sony EX1/EX3 cameras.)

50, 100, and 140 Mbps Long GOP modes

Please note that 140 Mbps Long GOP mode is new and will work with our recommended Kingston 32 GB 133x CompactFlash cards. This is a significant new development for some. At this time, we still feel that the "Sweet Spot" is 100 Mbps Long GOP.

Battery Voltage Monitoring

Pre-Record Buffer (optional, via an on/off menu selection, approximately 4.5 seconds).

SD support (at this time recording only, no playback within the unit, playback will be provided later)

Very Low power consumption, around 5.6 watts in record, less in playback, 0.3 or less in standby

Analog audio inputs (no phantom power is provided), but always 24-Bit whether from analog inputs or embedded in HD-SDI.

One channel of balanced mic input or

Two channels of unbalanced mic input or

Two channels of unbalanced line input or

One channel of unbalanced mic and one channel of unbalanced line

The above is via one 3.5 mm jack, with up to 44 dB gain for the mic level inputs.

Important Note:

Most users will probably connect their microphones to their cameras, then the audio will be embedded in the HD-SDI signals. This allows just one small cable to be connected to the nanoFlash, and the camera's audio capabilities, including phantom power (if available), can be used.

Self powered lavaliere microphones, and other many other microphones will work well with the nanoFlash. If phantom power is needed, there are many external phantom power supplies, or a mixer can be used.

In many cases, the tape out of a mixer will feed the nanoFlash directly.

Headphone / Line Level audio output.

The ability to use 64 GB CompactFlash cards, if desired. The latest PreTec 64 GB CompactFlash card worked up to 50 Mbps.

We still recommend the Kingston 16 or 32 GB cards.
The nanoFlash will support larger capacity cards, at least up to 128 GB, when they become available.

In subsequent firmware releases we will support:

Over and under-cranking.

Please note that we will support over and under-cranking, even if the camera does not support it.

Over and under-cranking will work with both 720p and 1080p cameras,
720p mode provides a wider frame rate, 1 to 60 frames per second.
1080p provides 1 to 30 frames per second.

Hot Swapping of the CompactFlash cards.

Promised features that are not included in our initial firmware will be delivered by a simple firmware upgrade.
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Wow !

That's all I can say, Dan :)

One thing I'm still unclear about: is it possible to simultaneously record 2 embedded audio channels from the camera, and one from say a lavaliere?
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

No, not at this time.

We may be able to do this in the future.

The issue is ensuring that all of the audio lines up properly.
Old June 19th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hey Dan,

Question about the CF cards. I noticed you mentioned only the Kingston cards, have the Transcend cards fallen out of favor?
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Tim,

Yes, but it may not be Transcend's fault in any way.

Up until Apple Leopard came on the scene, no one had any problems with the Transcend cards.

Those who use PC's never have any problems with the Transcend cards.

The Transcend cards work perfectly in our Flash XDR.

However, many user's have experienced problems when they use the Transcend cards in a Mac with Leopard (but not Tiger). The cards are sometimes destroyed.

Apple is working on the problem.

But, until this problem completely goes away (and this will not occur until everyone has installed the fix that Apple comes up with), we can not recommend the Transcend cards.

The Kingston cards have not had any similar problems with Leopard.

But, there are some old Kingston cards in some retail outlets that are not up to par.

These old cards can not be formatted in our unit; they do not pass our tests when we attempt to format them.

We recommend that everyone format their cards immediately upon receipt. If you get an error, contact Kingston and they will replace them at no charge.

We have not seen this problem, in the US, for some time now, but we have seen in other countries.

If the cards format ok, then they are ok to be used.
Old June 20th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Dear Dan,

Is the timelipse feature something your still working on ?
Old June 20th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Fabrice,

Timelapse is still in our plans.

We just placed over and under-cranking higher on the priority list.

The code we are creating for over and under-cranking is a precursor for the timelapse feature.

I also left off 24p Pulldown removal from my list. We are actively working on this feature also.
Old June 21st, 2009, 02:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the answer.

Can you explain me what is over and under-crancking ? I'm not sure about what it is for...
Old June 21st, 2009, 06:27 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Fabrice,

Certainly.

Over and under-cranking can be use with both 1080p and 720p formats.

I will start with 720p.

If you camera is setup to deliver, over the HD-SDI output, a 720p60 signal, then we see 60 progressive images per second.

If we record all 60 images and you play them back at 24 frames per second, then you will have a form of slow motion. This is called over-cranking since more frames per second are recorded than will be played back (per second). You have control, in post, over the playback speed.

Over-cranking is a useful tool to have, but it it is limited to 60 frames per second if your camera is limited to 60 frames per second. While this feature is very nice to have, it is not a substitute for cameras that can produce ultra slow motion, say at 1000 frames per second or more.

Undercraking is a form of time-lapse.

If we record at 1 frame per second, while the camrea gives us 60 frames per second, we are recording a time-lapse sequence (one frame each second). When the footage is played back at normal speed, the time-lapse effect occurs. Of course, you are not limited to playing it back a normal speed, you could choose other speeds.

For both over and under-cranking, you will want to control the exposure for each frame taking into consideration what effect you desire. And you will want to control the playback speed. This could be as simple as selecting a 24 frame per second timeline, or by changing the speed of playback. Some NLE's call this "Velocity".

With the nanoFlash and the Flash XDR, we are expecting to offer a range of 1 to 60 frames per second so you have a wide range of effects.

Please note that this will be a feature of the nanoFlash and the Flash XDR. All we require of the camera is to be able to provide us with progressive images in 720p or 1080p.

We will also support over and under-cranking with 1080p capable cameras, but the range of effects, for slow motion, is more limited. Many 1080p capable cameras are capable of 24 or 30 frames per second, but not 60 frames per second while in progressive mode.

As such, we are limited to 30 frames per second maximium, so the slow motion effect (over-cranking) is limited. In the same manner, the time-lapse is limited. Both are limited by having only 30 frames per second of images as opposed to having 60 frames per second of 720p images.

(Note: in this discussion, I did not make any distinctions between 24 frames per second and 23.976 (23.98); and 60 frames per second and 59.94. This was done to keep the discussion clear.)

Summary: With the nanoFlash or the Flash XDR you can add limited slow motion and time-lapse effects to you existing HD-SDI or HDMI equipped cameras.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 03:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

... More i learn of the NanoFlash's features, more i think i need it !

A really creative tool.

I have a JVC GY-HD251 so 720p50. Will all this features also work with 50 frame per seconds ?

You said "under-crancking is a "sort of timelipse", and that "under-cranking is a precursor for the timelapse feature".

So what will be the difference between the under-crancking feature and the timelapse feature, if they are not the same ?
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:15 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Fabrice,

Yes, this feature will work with 50 frames per second.

Our undercranking feature is limited to one frame per second.

With time lapse, the Flash XDR and nanoFlash will be able to capture a single frame every so often, such as once a second, once ever few seconds, once a minute, once an hour, once a day, etc.

Please note that these are just examples, you will be able to specifiy a wide variety of time intervals. For example, once every x frames, once every x seconds, once every x minutes, etc.

Disclaminer, these examples are for discussion only. I am not certain how we will setup a way for one to actually enter the precise time frame for the timelapse feature.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:11 AM   #12
Major Player

Dear Dan,
If I place my order for nano flash right away may I count on it on the 29th of July?
Thanks,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:43 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear Eugen,

Our European distributor, Symbiosis, has placed substantial orders for the nanoFlash with us, for July delivery. Over 60% of these orders are already sold.

It would appear that if you placed an order with your local dealer, a dealer that works with Symbiosis, it may be possible to meet your July 29th deadline, but it would be tight.

Due to the shipping involved, and customs, it is hard to guaranty July 29th.

Are you preparing for a special event?
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:45 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Dear Eugen,

If you add your email to your public profile, I will send you a private email so we can work out the details so we can meet your deadline.

I want to put you in touch with Symbiosis and a local dealer.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; June 22nd, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:50 PM   #15
Major Player

Dan,
I activated my email address (at least I think I did).
We are shooting a short feature between the 1st and the 4th of August. I was working on the budget today and I reached the conclusion that instead of renting the red one for four days I'd rather try to shoot with the JVC GY HM 700 that I already own + HZ CA 13 and your Nano flash. This project will be transfered to film so I am very careful with the quality issues.
Unfortunately in Romania there is no dealer so I'll have to deal directly with you or with Symbiosis.
Please let me know asap because there is oly one red camera available for rent so I have to do it in advance.
My best,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey