Nano Flash battery mounting - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 28th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #16
Inner Circle

You would simply directly connect the 5 pins on the IDX male plate to the 5 pins on the V-mount female plate (the one the goes on to the camera). Power for the nanoflash can simple be taken as a tap from the direct connection, or by using the D tap on the IDX plate. The more I think about this the more I like it as I will also be able to use the nanoflash as a standalone device powered by one of my V-Locks.

I made some of my own V-lock batteries a few years back. I still have the moulds to cast my own V-Mount plates (battery type). I might have to dig them out and get some more liquid plastic resin to knock up a few.
Old June 28th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Dear Alister and Steve,

We have been working with IDX.

We have an IDX V-Mount plate that can be used to connect to a V-Mount battery, and thus power the nanoFlash.

This V-Mount plate is much larger than the nanoFlash and is probably overkill for the 5.6 watts that the nanoFlash needs.

For the Flash XDR, this is a much more viable solution, as the size is closer to the size of the Flash XDR, in my humble opinion.

But, we are open to making almost anything that our customers want.
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
You would simply directly connect the 5 pins on the IDX male plate to the 5 pins on the V-mount female plate (the one the goes on to the camera). Power for the nanoflash can simple be taken as a tap from the direct connection, or by using the D tap on the IDX plate. .
But where would the power from the camera come from? If the camera's battery is on a V-lock mkunt on the back of the Nanoflash, how does it send power to the camera?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Of course the problem with sandwiching the nanoflash between camera and battery means you can't see the LCD. Hmm have to think some more.
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #20
Major Player

What about something that uses the Sony BP-U30 batteries all of us EX people have laying around? I have 3 of them.
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Of course the problem with sandwiching the nanoflash between camera and battery means you can't see the LCD. Hmm have to think some more.
Check out that E-241 plate. It mounts on the camera and then 2 batteries slot in sideways, one above the other. I can envisage the battery (or 2 stacked) on the bottom mount and the Nano on the top one, with the LCD facing outwards, the CF slots at the top and the connectors at left. I really do like the idea of the battery sticking out a bit and protecting/shielding the Nano a bit.

Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Dear James,

I suggest that you check out Dolgin Engineering's EX-V Adapter.

With the right connector, this should work well with the nanoFlash.

Untitled Document
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #23
Major Player

Very good. Looks like they have a mini hirose connection too.

Jim
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Dear James,

I did not know that Dolgin offers their EX-V adapter with a 4-Pin Female Hirose connector?

Where did you see that listed, or did you call Dolgin Engineering?

Please note that we have a 4-Pin Male Hirose connector on the nanoFlash itself, and we require a 4-Pin Female Hirose connector on the battery adapter.

While this may seem backwards, we do this for long-term reliability reasons.
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Actually the overall reason for a for a 4 pin Hirose female on the power supply side of the connection is due to the convention that it is poor practice to have energized male pins on any connector. We have found the Hirose connector to be an extremely reliable locking connector and it is easy to work on.

If anyone needs a connector changed on an existing power supply from anything else to a 4 pin Hirose or a 4 pin XLR (for the XDR) I can modify them, and do it very quickly, or build something new. We have piles of those connectors lying around (as well as Power Taps, and other combinations).

Jeff
Jeff Silverman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey