Nano Flash battery mounting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 27th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Nano Flash battery mounting

Heard a few bits of info about mounting the Nano on an IDX battery/V plate. How will this actually work?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

We could build a plate to adapt the IDX V-Mount plate to the nanoFlash.

However, please note that the IDX V-Mount plate is much bigger than the nanoFlash itself.

Nor is much battery power needed. The nanoFlash only requires 5.6 watts while recording, less than 0.3 watts in standby.

We are building D-Tap to 4-Pin Hirose power cables. So if you are using a V-Mount battery, one with a D-Tap, you can use this to power the nanoFlash also.

The nanoFlash uses so little power compared to most professional cameras, the additional power drain is very manageable.

And the advantage is that if you camera is monitoring the battery capacity, it will apply to the nanoFlash as well.

A 90 watt battery would power the nanoFlash for around 15 to 16 hours.

A 75 watt battery provides over 13 hours.

So for typical uses, the nanoFlash does not require a big battery.
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Just trying to work out where would be the best place to mount the Nano to keep it out of the way and safe and not have to connect cables all the time. Could you for example mount it directly to the camera's V mount plate, then have the battery clip onto the back of the Nano?
Steve
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Do you use the IDX V-Mount batteries which allow a second battery to be mounted to the first?

We have been trying to build a plate that would allow the nanoFlash to be attached to such as battery.

In the Anton Bauer world, we build a plate with removable Anton Bauer Gold Mount Studs, so that the nanoFlash/Flash XDR can be mounted to an Anton Bauer Gold Mount adapter, as it it was a battery.

In regards to your question, I am sorry, but I do not fully understand.

If we attach the back of the nanoFlash to the camera's V-Mount plate, then where can we attach a V-Mount battery to the nanoFlash?

I am trying to understand, but I can not visualize what you mean, sorry.
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I do use the IDX Endura 10 batteries, the ones that will piggy-back - so are you thinking you could attach it to the back of one of these?
Steve
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

IDX has been most helpful.

But, we have not yet found the right part that would allow us to do so.

It think it would be very nice for use to use the secondary mount on the back (or front) of the battery to mount the nanoFlash.

But, we have found a $30 ball type cold/hot shoe adapter that works just great.

The only problem is if a cold/hot shore is already in use. But there are dual/triple hot/cold shoe adapters available.

We can manufacture the right part/plate to allow the nanoFlash to piggy-back to an IDX battery.
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
The only problem is if a cold/hot shore is already in use. But there are dual/triple hot/cold shoe adapters available.

No, that's not the only problem. It also sticks out a bit and is prone to being knocked and also needs removing before putting back in the back. If you have something tucked flush against the body it can be pack as is. Mounting it to the back of the IDX batteries would be a nice solution, so you can make the part custom to order?
One small problem might be that it will stop you piggy-backing batteries for extra power - don't know if you're aware but you can only piggy-back 2 of them. You can physically stack as many as you like back-to-back but it'll only send power through the first to the second even if you have say 4 batteries mounted it'll only use the first 2 in the chain. So presumably if you attached 2 batteries back-to-back and then the Nano on the back of that no power would come through.
Steve
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Yes, you are correct. I did not choose my words carefully enough.

If there is interest, we will build a way to piggy-back the nanoFlash onto the IDX batteries.
Old June 27th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I'm looking at making a bracket for the 700/800 that will use the screws that secure WRR radio mic receiver and allow the nano flash to be mounted alongside the battery. The other less professional alternative is good old velro or slightly better 3M dual lock. A 1" square piece of dual lock will easily hold the nanoflash.
Old June 27th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Inner Circle

IDX make an adapter to mount 2 v lock batteries side by side. If the Nano has any sort of V lock mount to it you could use that on 1 slot and then a battery or even 2 on the other. This is it Enhanced View Services, Inc.
Steve
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Alister,

We will be happy to develop a mount according to your specifications or needs.

The nanoFlash has a single 1/4" x 20 tripod threaded screw hole for certain types of mounting.

In addition we have other M3,.5 threaded screw holes so we can mount custom mounting/adapter plates.

Could you please send me photos, drawings, or rough sketches of what you want.

There is a fairly standard four hole pattern for mounting wireless mic's. Is this the pattern used to mount the WRR Radio Mic receiver?

If so, do you have access to the back of this hole pattern so we can mount the nanoFlash via a screw threaded in via the back of the plate you mentioned?
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Just done a quick experiment, take the V mount off the back of one my old Sony batteries, and it clicks straight into the camera's V mount. So presumably it'd be very simple to bolt that onto the mounting plate of the Nano?
For the dual IDX plate that I have in mind, the Nano would have to sit with the CF slots pointing upwards so with the point of the V towards the top of the unit. I'll try to come up with an illustration of what I have in mind.
Steve
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

We could design the V-Mount plate so that the nanoFlash could be mounted in multiple orientations.
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #14
Inner Circle

For me, ideally the nano flash would mount directly to the camera's existing V-mount and then the nanoflash would have a v-mount on the back of it. That way you could mount the nanoflash on the back of any v-mount equipped camera. I think sourcing the parts to make a mount to fit the nanoflash to the camera would be easy, possibly from a dead battery (the V and battery terminals) and then use an IDX v-lock plate on the back of the nanoflash. I've probably got the bits to do this in my spares bin. This would also work with my EX3 as I have a v-lock adapter for that.
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #15
Inner Circle

How would the battery then power the camera? It can't go through the Nano. You'd have to connect the IDX plate to the camera via cable, and also a cable from the Nano to something.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey