DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   XDR & Nano Next Big Step (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/240086-xdr-nano-next-big-step.html)

Steve Phillipps July 31st, 2009 03:51 PM

XDR & Nano Next Big Step

I think we're all amazed by what the CD products are bringing to the table, and also by the commitment and support of the team involved.
Next big thing on the list I'd say is not overcranking or any other specification, but awareness and acceptance by the likes of BBC, Discovery and Nat Geo. I'm sure there is some awareness already, but if you're a producer or cameraman and you go for a commission you tend to find the people with the power are only happy with what they know.

At present if you went to a BBC commissioner and said you'd be shooting to Nanoflash you'd have a long hard discussion ahead of you!

Keep it up guys!

Steve

ps I've brought a Varicam for the very reasons I've just mentioned, thought long and hard about the Nano, but just needed something immediately that was bomb-proof and universally accepted. Tempted to buy a Nano just as an SDI to HDMI converter though!

Dan Keaton July 31st, 2009 07:52 PM

Dear Steve,

The nanoFlash was used for Discovery Channel Canada for "Cash Cab". I heard that they were very happy. But I have not personally spoken with them.

An upcoming Nat Geo show, shot in Australia, used the Flash XDR with a Varicam. I did get the opportunity to speak with them and they were happy.

We had a local shoot with a Varicam and the Flash XDR. The very experienced crew was surprised at the detail in the shadows and how well it kept the highlights.

An expisode of "Mighty Ships" used the Flash XDR to get shots that otherwise would have been impossible, according to them.

One of the surprises with this project, developing the Flash XDR and the nanoFlash, has been the very wide range of cameras that work well with our recorders. I would have never thought that we would have something good to offer to such a wide range of cameras.

Steve Phillipps August 1st, 2009 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1179397)
I would have never thought that we would have something good to offer to such a wide range of cameras.

I don't think anyone realised at first just how amazing this was going to be! I heard the other day that they are going to be used on F23 and Arri D20 and the like as proxy recorders!

I think you're right to keep listing the progs that have been shot on it, this is probably the best way to keep the commissioners happy, once they see that lots of series have been successfully delivered they'll have to accept that it's a more than adequate choice.

Actually just thought, the only little issue to me at present is mounting and power options. I know there are solutions out there but they all involve a bit of getting your head around and it would be nice to have a list of options available for different cameras and uses to look at and purchase more or less off the shelf.

Steve

David Issko August 1st, 2009 03:34 PM

The XDR is slowly selling itself and that will be the same for the nanoflash in due course. The self sell will, no doubt accelerate as more units are being used. Thanks CD!