DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Convince me why I need the nanoflash (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/248359-convince-me-why-i-need-nanoflash.html)

Wade John August 6th, 2009 06:17 PM

Convince me why I need the nanoflash

I've long been eyeing off the xdr and the nanoflash and i'm pretty close to making a purchase. just before i shell out the bucks, i want to hear why i should buy the nano. i use a sony ex3 and use it for both stock and short film projects. will i notice a huge difference in the quality of the footage? what is the cheapest and easiest way to power it with the ex3?

Dan Keaton August 6th, 2009 06:43 PM

Dear Wade,

When doing film projects, you may or may not be doing Chroma Keying (Greenscreen work).

If you do, you will greatly appreciate the detail that is recorded by the nanoFlash.

The Sony EX1 and EX3 record internally at 4:2:0. For greenscreen work, and for projecting a large image, 4:2:2 is dramatically better.

For other work, 4:2:2 is best for capturing high quality images.

Please understand that the Sony EX1 and EX3 are capable of great images, but they are always 4:2:0. For many, this is good enough. But, without question, 4:2:2 images are better.

Even more importantly, our 100 Mbps Long GOP mode has enough bandwidth (bit-rate) to capture almost any image, no matter how detailed, or no matter how much motion, without image artifacts. Under normal circumstances this is not a problem. For demanding work or unusual situations, you will come to appreciate our 100 Mbps mode versus your 35 Mbps mode.

You will probably also like our workflow. It can not get much easier since we record in native Quicktime for Final Cut Pro or native MXF for Avid, Vegas and Edius.

The nanoFlash comes with its own AC power supply.

We will be coming out with a battery cradle for Sony Batteries. This will probably be the least expensive way to power the nanoFlash. If you already have a D-Tap power outlet, then the purchase of a D-Tap to 4-Pin Hirose is a reasonable way to go.

Ofer Levy August 6th, 2009 10:15 PM

Hi mate,

If you visit Sydney in the near future - drop me an email and come have a look at my Flash XDR with your camera.
I also use the EX3 and ever since I started using it with the Flash XDR I simply can not consider shooting without it. I only do wildlife so maybe your needs are different.

Cheers mate,
Ofer Levy Photography

Barlow Elton August 7th, 2009 04:24 PM

Wade,

Raw acquisition quality is the reason. Period.

Basically all image manipulations in post production benefit *signifigantly* from a lightly compressed, more data-rich recording.

Another HUGE reason would be if you hope to meet the highest HD broadcaster requirements with the lower-cost HD cameras. The high bit rate acquisition stands a much better chance of holding up much better and further through the sometimes horrific path of broadcast HD compression.

And of course, your Blu-ray discs should look noticeably better too in demanding scenes if you've shot with a high bit rate and use a high quality post workflow to master with.

I will be shooting a few codec-challenging scenes on a shoot this weekend, and I plan to try the 35mbs mode (same as EX1/3) and the 100, 160mbs long GOP and even max 220 I-frame.

I'll post the results hopefully sometime next week.

Wade John August 7th, 2009 06:21 PM

Thanks all for your helpful replies - I think I'm convinced. I've done a bit of green screen editing this week and sure wish the footage wasn't so noisy. Ofer, I actually moved to Sydney early this year and yes I also do a fair bit of wildlife work. We should talk some time.

Wade John August 13th, 2009 01:20 AM

Dan,

When do you expect to start selling the sony battery cradles?

Will this baby be fine for the nanoflash? EX-V adapter
There are options to configure the adapter.

Thanks

Wade

Craig Chartier August 13th, 2009 09:33 AM

so any power supply with a 12 volt tap will work e.g. Dtap port,, so the unit requires 12 volt supply?? or at least a range upto 12 volts??

Does the unit trigger off of the cameras trigger? or do you have to start and stop it externally??

Dan Keaton August 13th, 2009 10:22 AM

Dear Craig,

The nanoFlash accepts 6.5 to 19.5 VDC and consumes just 5.6 watts of power, far less than most any camera.

The nanoFlash can be triggered via Record-Run timecode, either externally via LTC or via timecode embedded in the HD-SDI signal. When the timecode stops, we stop.

Also, the nanoFlash can be controlled via the front panel switches, or via a wired remote control with a tally light.

The nanoFlash, in a future release, will be able to record via the Record Flag, embedded in the HD-SDI output of certain very high-end Sony cameras, such as the F23 and F35. We are just waiting for the specifications for this flag.

Note: We are also able to generate our own internal timecode.

Ron Little August 24th, 2009 10:04 AM

I am on the fence of buying a EX1 or putting a Nano Flash on my Sony V1U. Can you tell me how well the Nano works with the Sony V1u?

Steve Phillipps August 24th, 2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Little (Post 1263785)
I am on the fence of buying a EX1 or putting a Nano Flash on my Sony V1U. Can you tell me how well the Nano works with the Sony V1u?

It'll work just as well with any camera that has HD SDI or HDMI output. Codecs and bit rates are the same whether you've got a V1 or an F23. Arguably you'll get more benefit from using with V1 than EX1 as the jump from HDV to 100 mb/s is greater than EX to 100 mb/s.
Steve