Combining footage from the EX3+Flash XDR and Canon 5D Mark 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Combining footage from the EX3+Flash XDR and Canon 5D Mark 2

Hi all,
I consider getting the Canon 5D Mark 2 as a second camera to capture scenery and wide angle shots in my wildlife work it will accompany my Sony PMW EX3+ Flash XDR.
Does anyone have an experience in combining footage obtained with the EX3+Flash XDR 1080 25p at 100 Mb/s Long GOP with footage obtained with the Canon 5D Mark 2 at 1080 30p ?
Any issues I should take into account?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ofer Levy Photography
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #2
New Boot

Maybe we could do swaps for a week or two so you can try it out for yourself. I could lend you my 5dmkII and I borrow your Flash XDR. Just a thought - no worries if you're not keen. I live in the hills district.
Wade John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #3
New Boot

White balance problem

I have combine those two cameras several times on Weddings. There is no problem to edit them together. The only problem I have is the White balance.
Before I begin to shoot with them I always get the white balance from EX3 and set that white balance manually on the 5DM2 and after that no problem.
The 5DM2 is an excellent second camera the only problem is that you have start the video play again after 10 minute and it will be several break in the timeline but I have no problem whit that.
You can start the Video play by a remote control.
The only thing you have to observe is when the Video is stopped and that led-lamp is unlucky on the backside of the 5DM2.
I use a Monitor so I can see all information I need.
So good luck.
Tommy Simonsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Wade, I am afraid this won't work as I use the Flash XDR almost every day - thanks for your offer though.

Hi Tommy, thanks for the input - that sounds very encouraging.
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I can only hope that the 5DII gets a firmware update to allow a clean full res HDMI output.

Then we could use the Nano for the video & audio recording.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Simonsson View Post
I have combine those two cameras several times on Weddings. There is no problem to edit them together. The only problem I have is the White balance.
Tommy, how do you deal with 30p (5DM2) vs 25p (50i) if this framerate is what you using with the EX3?
Are you slowing down the 5DM2 footage in post?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey