Canon XLH1 & XDR at 24F mode, and cinema tools - Long GOP or I-Frame? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:53 AM   #1
New Boot

Canon XLH1 & XDR at 24F mode, and cinema tools - Long GOP or I-Frame?

Hi all,

I shoot with XLH1 and XDR. and have some questions on working with this setup and final edit and output at 24p timeline (for film output at final stage).

when i setup XLH1 to shoot 24F mode, the XDR detect as 29.97 which I understand. I can then use cinema tools and so i can work in a 24p timeline in FCP.

however i've read some articles that cinema tools will not reckon these LONG-GOP 100mbps file. so, do i need to shoot at i-frame mode on the XDR?

then what can i do with some already shot footage which recorded from XDR at 100mb long-gop at 29.97 (which is my XLH1 feed of 24F), if i need to use these footage in my FCP 24P timeline?

many thanks.
cohen
Cohen Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Major Player

You are correct, Cinema Tools needs an I-frame based codec to do it's reverse telecine process.

For you, I would suggest doing it in Compressor. Compressor has an adaptive reverse telecine process and you can use any codec in the conversion process.

Plus you can also sub-spawn processes to maximize your machine's power (if you have an 8-core Mac Pro).

Hope this helps!
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:07 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Michael for the info.

I will try the Compressor method to convert those 100mb long-gop 59.94 file into i-frame format 24p (prores/8-bit). althought I do have a lot of them but i guess i have no other options for now.

I will shoot I-frame method from now on for this 24p-final project. thanks!
Cohen Leung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey