DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Nano QT files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/312381-nano-qt-files.html)

Paul Cronin August 23rd, 2009 08:49 AM

Nano QT files

Can the Nano QT files be viewed on a PC with Quicktime Pro or are they FC QT files?

Dan Keaton August 23rd, 2009 02:25 PM

Dear Paul,

The PC Quicktime viewer, as far as I know, can not handle XDCAM 4:2:2 @ High Level footage.

As such, it can not handle files from the PDW-700 or PDW-F800 footage, or our footage.

I do not know if the PC Quicktime viewer can handle our 35 Mbps 4:2:0 XDCam EX 4:2:0 footage.

If you record in QT, we offer software, for the Intel Macs, that converts our QT files to MXF files for use on the PC.

If you record in MXF, then the Sony Clip Browser can be used to view the files on the PC.
This is a free download.

I welcome input from others.

Paul Cronin August 23rd, 2009 02:57 PM

Thanks Dan the MXF is a nice option.

I did not think of it till this but the Sony Clip Browser is also a great option since it works on both PC and Mac.

Paul Cronin August 23rd, 2009 03:36 PM

Dan,

Do you know what formats the Nano records that the Clip Browser will play? Is the software to convert QT to MXF a download off your site?

Thanks for all your help this week.

Dan Keaton August 23rd, 2009 03:38 PM

Dear Paul,

Personally, I have not tried all of our formats in the Sony Clip Browser, but every MXF file that I ever tested worked.

Paul Cronin August 23rd, 2009 03:43 PM

Sounds like the QT to MXF converter needs to be on my machine. This is great news.

Dan Keaton August 23rd, 2009 04:01 PM

Dear Paul,

You can download our QT to MXF File converter from our website.

It is called "File Converter", and it is free.

Convergent Design, experts in HDMI, SD, HD, and HDV

Note: This works on Mac's only, only works with our files, and only converts QT to MXF, not MXF to QT.

So, if you are ever in doubt if you will need QT or MXF, and if you have access to an Intel Mac, record in QT. The File Converter will then produce MXF files for you. While this is an extra step, it works at file transfer speeds and it does not reduce the quality of your images; it is not a transcode of the file, it just changes the wrapper from Quicktime to MXF.

Paul Cronin August 23rd, 2009 04:12 PM

Perfect that lets me continue to shoot in QT and be able to deliver to my clients who are on PC.

Thanks for thinking far ahead.

I did place the cable order for Dolgin's battery correct?.

Dan Keaton August 23rd, 2009 04:37 PM

Dear Paul,

Yes, you did, 2' 0" D-Tap to 4-Pin Female Hirose for powering the nanoFlash from Anton Bauer, IDX, or Swit batteries with D-Tap connectors.

Paul Cronin August 23rd, 2009 04:41 PM

Great,

So much going on I did not write it down.

Cheers