Upcoming nanoFlash Firmware Release - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:20 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell View Post
Hi Dan - we never take video on DVD much above 7.8Mb/s and at that data rate even CBR works exceptionally well (meaning a total data rate of just over 8Mb/s with a decent quality AC3 track). While the format dictates that 9.8Mb/s is the maximum (for video + audio), cheap players mean it is safer to keep it well below this on recordable media. Press disks are more reflective and therefore easier to track.

So I'd vote for that sweet spot around 7.8Mb/s but only if that is practical. I'd also go the other way and offer .m2V + .wav rather than .mpg. Nearly all decent authoring applications require elementary streams so .mpgs just introduce another step.

Seems strange to be talking about using the nano and xdr to lower the data rate, but it is a great idea to save time.

John
Dear John,

Thank you for your suggestions.

We will give serious consideration to adding a 7.8 Mbps mode.

It may be appropriate, at some time in the future, for us to offer our own demuxer, so that one can copy the files from a CompactFlash card, to a folder on your computer, and demux the file in one operation.

This program could be custom trailored to our system. For example, we could demux all of the ".MPG" files, and just copy the other files, and ignore all non-media files, etc.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:53 AM   #32
Major Player

Hi Dan,
Sorry I'm late.
I agree with John. A top data rate of 7'8/8Mbps would be OK. there is still room for a PCM audio or few AC3 channels.
Perhaps another two setting: 4Mbps and 6'5Mbps would satisfy the most part of the needs.
The only feature I'm waiting for is the Time lapse.
I don't need to record Uncompress. 8b 422 long GOPs High Data Rate makes me happy:-)
For me would be things more interesting to implement (without changing the NANO philosophy), like Short/Open GOPs.
Best,
Rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:42 AM   #33
Trustee

MPEG Recording Data Rates for Nano & XDR

Hi Dan & Mike:
Please add the following encoding rates to your DVD shooting menu.

4 Mbps, 6 Mbps, 6.75 Mbps, and finally 7.8 Mbps. When shooting at the higher Long GOP data rates, the encodes will be crystal clean even at 4 Mbps. However, I'm not crazy about the audio choices so far. please put Dolby Digital AC3 Stereo @ 192 and 320 Kbps, as well as PCM. No MPEG 1 Layer II only please.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:55 AM   #34
Convergent Design

MPG bit-rates for XDR/nano

Adding more bit-rates options is not a difficult task. I will speak to our developers about your recommendations today. AC3 audio is simply not possible, as we do not have a Dolby encoder in the nano/XDR. Again, there is only some much you can cram in a small box.

It may be possible some day to write sepearte video (m2v) and audio (PCM) files to the CF card. We'll add this to the list for consideration, but no promises.

In the interium, we plan to drop the m2v format to prevent the possibility of recording only the video. The audio adds very little additonal file size to the mpg format. There are a number of different demux programs available, including Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Windows XP/Vista which works on the MAC or PC.

We'll return to this issue once we have time-lapse and hot-swap complete.

Best-
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:22 AM   #35
Trustee

Thanks Mike :-) !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Adding more bit-rates options is not a difficult task. I will speak to our developers about your recommendations today. AC3 audio is simply not possible, as we do not have a Dolby encoder in the nano/XDR. Again, there is only some much you can cram in a small box.

It may be possible some day to write sepearte video (m2v) and audio (PCM) files to the CF card. We'll add this to the list for consideration, but no promises.

In the interium, we plan to drop the m2v format to prevent the possibility of recording only the video. The audio adds very little additonal file size to the mpg format. There are a number of different demux programs available, including Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Windows XP/Vista which works on the MAC or PC.

We'll return to this issue once we have time-lapse and hot-swap complete.

Best-
...Thank you Mike for your understanding. Let us hope Convergent Design will bring about these changes and the enabling of already existing hardware and features on the Flash XDR as promised.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM   #36
Convergent Design

MPG Bit-Rates for Standard-Def

I spoke to our software developer, Brent, and we are expanding the MPG data-rate selections to 5,6,7,8, and 9 Mbps for standard-def. This range should cover almost all applications.

We have an interium release of the firmware scheduled for late next week which will include these new values.

Best-
Old September 26th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #37
Major Player

Yeap, and another question:
Why the NANO can not record 720p25?
Quite often I work in 720p25 with the EX: Double efficiency than 720p50.
Well with the NANO probably this extra efficiency is not necessary, but for me that normally end up in SD p25, shooting p50 doesn't makes much sense.
Best,
rafael
Old September 26th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #38
Major Player

Hi Mike,
You got me excited ''MPG data-rate selections to 5,6,7,8, and 9 Mbps for standard-def."
Most of my work is SD this will be such a big help.

Thanks
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Amador View Post
Yeap, and another question:
Why the NANO can not record 720p25?
Quite often I work in 720p25 with the EX: Double efficiency than 720p50.
Well with the NANO probably this extra efficiency is not necessary, but for me that normally end up in SD p25, shooting p50 doesn't makes much sense.
Best,
rafael
Dear Rafael,

Mike is in a better position to answer this question.

Which editor are you using to work with 720p25?
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Librandi View Post
Hi Mike,
You got me excited ''MPG data-rate selections to 5,6,7,8, and 9 Mbps for standard-def."
Most of my work is SD this will be such a big help.

Thanks
Dear Lance,

Please remember that we need SD-SDI in order to record any of our SD modes.

Many, but not all HD-SDI cameras are capable of creating SD-SDI (which is technically just called SDI). For example the Canon XL H1 can create SD-SDI.
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #41
Major Player

Hi dan,
I work with Final Cut.
I was testing the NANO few days ago recording simultaneously in the SxS card to compare the pictures.
When I brought the two clips (NANO+SxS) to FC and I tried to superimpose them in the time-line, I saw that was impossible. They were moving at different speeds.
Then I realized the SxS clip was p25 while the NANO was p50.
Best,
rafael
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #42
Major Player

Hello Dan or Mike,
Would you be able to tell us your timeline for the hot swappable card feature for the NannoFlash?

Many Thanks
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #43
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Librandi View Post
Hello Dan or Mike,
Would you be able to tell us your timeline for the hot swappable card feature for the NannoFlash?

Many Thanks
Hi Lance-
Best guess is a November release. We are adding time-lapse and over/under-crank as well as revised menus for the Oct release. Hot swap, however, is very high on the list.

Best-
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #44
Major Player

Thanks for that Mike great news, just in time for my Christmas work.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey