DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Current Feature Set Status Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/343690-current-feature-set-status-questions.html)

Mark Job August 31st, 2009 07:00 AM

Flash XDR Current Feature Set Status Questions

Hi Dan or Mike or any end user of the Flash XDR. I'm working with a client who wants to shoot with a Flash XDR and we are shooting in a veriety of different modes and styles (Including time-lapse). This is a series of short concept music videos being shot with our Canon XL H1 production camcorder. Some questions gentleman, please.............

1. What is the status of the timelapse feature on the Flash XDR (I know it was on CD's list of developping features earlier this year) ?

2. What is the status of the uncompressed recording feature ?

3. Can someone who shoots with the Flash XDR with the Canon XL H1 (Not *s* version) give me some feedback as to how the XDR performs.

Thanks,

Mark

Dan Keaton August 31st, 2009 07:48 AM

Dear Mark,

Good Morning.

1. We are working on the Time Lapse feature. This is scheduled, but not promised, for October.

We are in final testing of a new release. Mike has detailed, in another post, the features that will be added to the new release.

2. We are working on other features at this time.

3. I feel that you will want others to provide their experience.

The Flash XDR has been used in many productions. But, I do not know which cameras are used in every production.

I have an original XL H1 and the Flash XDR works great with in. All of the product shots in our Flash XDR Promo, on YouTube, was hot with this combination. Most of the shots with out spokesmodel were shot with a Sony EX1. In this case, the XL H1 can be seen in the background, shooting the actors on the set.

At trade shows, I have always taken the XL H1 to provide a signal to the Flash XDR.

John Richard August 31st, 2009 08:54 AM

The XDR works great with our original XLH1 (not S).

The original H1 requires that you run a time-code cable and XLR audio cables to feed the XDR as the original XLH1 does not contain timecode or audio in it's HD-SDI signal.

Other than that, the XDR provides you a huge jump up in video quality over the internal HDV. It also bumps up your audio quality from 16 bit to 24 bit which allows you to set your average high amplitude a tad lower to allow extra headroom for sudden high levels from going to clipping.

The XDR is a great device for the XLH1 original.

Mark Job August 31st, 2009 08:57 AM

Thanks for the info Dan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1293309)
Dear Mark,

Good Morning.

1. We are working on the Time Lapse feature. This is scheduled, but not promised, for October.

We are in final testing of a new release. Mike has detailed, in another post, the features that will be added to the new release.

2. We are working on other features at this time.

3. I feel that you will want others to provide their experience.

The Flash XDR has been used in many productions. But, I do not know which cameras are used in every production.

I have an original XL H1 and the Flash XDR works great with in. All of the product shots in our Flash XDR Promo, on YouTube, was hot with this combination. Most of the shots with out spokesmodel were shot with a Sony EX1. In this case, the XL H1 can be seen in the background, shooting the actors on the set.

At trade shows, I have always taken the XL H1 to provide a signal to the Flash XDR.

....This is good news. I thank you kindly for your feedback on the XL H1 & XDR functionality combo. The Flash XDR is slowly becomming known in the greater Montreal area amoung high end shoots. As far as I can tell at this point, Flash XDR is being dumped mainly into FCP suites with some Avid MC editorial as well.

Thanks Again Dan :-)

Mark

Mark Job August 31st, 2009 09:05 AM

Thank you Jon

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Richard (Post 1293534)
The XDR works great with our original XLH1 (not S).

The original H1 requires that you run a time-code cable and XLR audio cables to feed the XDR as the original XLH1 does not contain timecode or audio in it's HD-SDI signal.

Other than that, the XDR provides you a huge jump up in video quality over the internal HDV. It also bumps up your audio quality from 16 bit to 24 bit which allows you to set your average high amplitude a tad lower to allow extra headroom for sudden high levels from going to clipping.

The XDR is a great device for the XLH1 original.

....Thanks for the feedback Jon. The trick will be the big Easter Egg hunt in our market for qualifying CF cards. Also, may I ask how to mount that device on an XL H1 ? Has CD come up with anything for on camera mounting ?

Mark Job August 31st, 2009 09:16 AM

Upcoming Flash XDR Firmware Upgrade Info ?

Hi Dan:
Can you point me to Mike's upcoming Flash XDR Firmware upgrade functionality list you mentioned in your response to me earlier in this thread, please ?

Thanks

Dan Keaton August 31st, 2009 09:17 AM

Dear Mark,

Yes, we have designed, and have in stock, a custom mount for mounting the Flash XDR on the Canon XL H1, or XL H1s.

This mount allows one to attach an Anton Bauer Universal Compact Gold Mount and then use a Canon Hytron 50 or Dionic 90 battery to power the Flash XDR.

The batteries for the Canon XL H1 are quite nice and we recommend continuing to use those batteries to power the XL H1 or XL H1s.

Dan Keaton August 31st, 2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Job (Post 1293646)
Hi Dan:
Can you point me to Mike's upcoming Flash XDR Firmware upgrade functionality list you mentioned in your response to me earlier in this thread, please ?

Thanks

Dear Mark,

Except for the hardware differences, the features in the Flash XDR are the same as in the nanoFlash.

Here is Mike's post on the upcoming firmware release for the nanoFlash. This applies to the Flash XDR as well. The Flash XDR release will follow this nanoFlash release.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/convergen...e-release.html

Mark Job August 31st, 2009 09:31 AM

nanoflash upgrade is the same as Flash XDR

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1293651)
Dear Mark,

Except for the hardware differences, the features in the Flash XDR are the same as in the nanoFlash.

Here is Mike's post on the upcoming firmware release for the nanoFlash. This applies to the Flash XDR as well. The Flash XDR release will follow this nanoFlash release.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/convergen...e-release.html

....Oh ? OK. I read that but disregarded it because it seemed to be referring to the *nanoFLASH* and not the XDR.

Thanks,

Mark

John Richard August 31st, 2009 01:20 PM

As regards the mounting of the XDR onto the XLH1, we purchased the custom Anton-Bauer/Dionic 90 Battery mount that C-D supplies.

It's a very sweet setup that actually balances out the normally front heavy (due to the quality large Canon lenses).

There are just the right openings to route the timecode, audio, and battery cables.

They really put some thought into designing and machining this bracket for the XLH1.

We had been using a battery belt to power the H1 and this really freed up for better portability by making for a compact all in one Camera setup and got rid of weight and power cables getting snagged.

Mark Job August 31st, 2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Richard (Post 1294324)
As regards the mounting of the XDR onto the XLH1, we purchased the custom Anton-Bauer/Dionic 90 Battery mount that C-D supplies.

It's a very sweet setup that actually balances out the normally front heavy (due to the quality large Canon lenses).

There are just the right openings to route the timecode, audio, and battery cables.

They really put some thought into designing and machining this bracket for the XLH1.

We had been using a battery belt to power the H1 and this really freed up for better portability by making for a compact all in one Camera setup and got rid of weight and power cables getting snagged.

...Hi John. This sounds quite interesting. Have you posted any pictures of this system mounted on your XL H1 in action. would be very interested to see this.

Dan Keaton August 31st, 2009 05:31 PM

Dear Mark,

This link has some pictures of the Flash XDR mounted on an XL H1 with our mount.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/convergen...flash-xdr.html

Mark Job August 31st, 2009 06:18 PM

Thank You Dan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1295145)
Dear Mark,

This link has some pictures of the Flash XDR mounted on an XL H1 with our mount.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/convergen...flash-xdr.html

....OK Dan. I'll go check out those picts.

Mark Job August 31st, 2009 06:28 PM

First Look at Pictures

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Job (Post 1295260)
....OK Dan. I'll go check out those picts.

Thanks for the direct to that post Dan :-) OK. Looks like this mount is substantial indeed. Would there be any way to mount the XDR in a leaned back position ? (Say about 35 degrees ?) Was there a special reason why the XDR is mounted at 90 degrees to the camera position ? Perhaps it's a matter of easier cabling. (??) How much is the mounting kit Dan ?

Dan Keaton August 31st, 2009 08:55 PM

Dear Mark,

1. Yes, it is in the 90 degree position to save space.

If you are shoulder mounting the camera, the 90 degree position works well.

If you are on a tripod, and the camera is level, the a slight tilt forward is nice.

If you are on a tripod, and the camera is tilted down somewhat, then the 90 degree position works well.

2. We have another mount, if you have rails out the back of the camera, that has the Flash XDR at a 75 degree angle. This is nice, but adds length to the camera overall.

The Flash XDR mount for the XL H1 is $150 plus $130 for the Anton Bauer Gold Mount Adapter with a 4-Pin XLR cable for the Flash XDR. These are US prices.