DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Safely saving new QT files from nanoFlash (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/353166-safely-saving-new-qt-files-nanoflash.html)

David Issko September 2nd, 2009 04:41 PM

Safely saving new QT files from nanoFlash

So, what is the safest way to transfer the QT files from the CF cards onto hard drive for editing? Apart from a spot check, how can I be certain that my QT files have transferred without corruption?

I have, for years been dragging & dropping all sorts of files from one HDD to another etc, without issue but is there a CRC check that can be made after the files have been copied?

Ofer, Alister, what are you doing please?

Thanks very much

Jeff Silverman September 3rd, 2009 05:52 AM

David,

We have adopted sending a Nexto drive with every XDR and Nano rental where the user indicates they are going to use a Mac. We recommend as the first step they copy the files to the Nexto before even looking at them on a Mac due to the numerous problems people have had with the Leopard operating system and CF cards. The Nexto does verify the write.

Jeff

David Issko September 3rd, 2009 02:52 PM

The Nexto has been recommended by CD. I will take a look at it but in my tests over the past few days, I have not had an issue with dragging & dropping. Does not mean anything, I know but I am using the frightfully expensive Sandisk 32Gb cards. The best for the best!!!!

Thanks for the advice.

Alister Chapman September 3rd, 2009 03:08 PM

I'm using ShotPut Pro to backup to pairs of USB drives. Lots of error checking options available with ShotPut.

Dan Keaton September 3rd, 2009 03:35 PM

Dear David,

If you are using CompactFlash cards in a card reader attached to a Mac with Leopard, we recommend that when you are done, you just pull the card out.

This is opposed to using the Eject Command or the Drag and Drop of the Card Reader Icon to the Trash Can.

Yes, you will get an error, but you may avoid stressing or damaging your CompactFlash cards.

David Issko September 3rd, 2009 07:01 PM

Thanks very much everyone. The info you all supplied will help me out and should keep me truckin along nicely!!!

Best Wishes

Rafael Amador September 3rd, 2009 08:55 PM

I look forward to get a Nesto because simplify things in the field. Is nice to have a system that ensure no corruption when managing files but as long as doesn't complicates the workflow.
In 7 years working with a Mac (almost 2 with the EX-1) I haven't had any kind of file corruption. Good to be careful, no good to be paranoid.
rafael

Barry J. Weckesser September 14th, 2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1307806)
I'm using ShotPut Pro to backup to pairs of USB drives. Lots of error checking options available with ShotPut.

I am also using ShotPut and have a front bay PCIe card reader installed in my PC - makes for very fast download times with my SxS cards ( I back up to 3 hard drives). Is there any problem with using something like this: CFExpressPro+ PCIe ExpressCard to CompactFlash Memory Card Adapter, Synchrotech to download?

Does the caveat of using the Nexto mainly apply to Mac or are there some dangers with a PC?

Dan Keaton September 14th, 2009 07:39 PM

Dear Barry,

The problem started with Mac Leopard. Mac Tiger was ok.

We do not know if Snow Leopard is ok.

No problems have been reported in any PC, as far as I know.

We have been recommending the Nexto eXtreme for some time now. It offers some great advantages