DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Just Ordered My Nanoflash (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/354182-just-ordered-my-nanoflash.html)

Ed David September 2nd, 2009 11:36 PM

Just Ordered My Nanoflash

I couldn't wait any longer for the Ki Pro - also I like the fact of recording to solid state for so cheap. I hope to be wowed and think this will take my Sony EX1 to the next level.

Dan Keaton September 3rd, 2009 01:47 AM

Dear David,

Welcome aboard!

We feel that you will be very happy with your new nanoFlash.

At trade shows, I setup a nice camera with HD-SDI, and a very nice $5,000 Sony LMD-2450wHD 1920 x 1080 monitor.

I ask our guest to look very carefully at the images for any defects. Then I pan the camera, then I may move the camera wildly, then I may focus on a very dark area of the venue, usually a dark corner of the ceiling, if possible, while recording at 100 Mbps Long-GOP.

Then during playback I ask our guest to very carefully check the images. It always looks just like the live uncompressed images. No one has ever found a visual defect. Some ask to see the blue channel and check it out very carefully.

When I stop to think about this, it is kind of amazing. We now offer a small, lightweight, all solid-state, noiseless recorder in which the playback images are visually the same as the live uncompressed images, and one can drag and drop the files into Final Cut Pro, Avid, and other editors with no transcoding required.

And one can use the recorder on a very wide range of cameras allowing ones investment to be preserved as one's camera is upgraded.

Rafael Amador September 3rd, 2009 07:47 AM

I think the KI Pro will be a great machine but is a different concept. Nothing that you can put in your pocket like the NANO.
I think as well that AJA made a big mistake about the storage system for this device and with the new MBPs without Express slot, things get even more complicated.
There is not any other recording system in the market that offers the options that the nano offers (from 9 to 220 Mbps/PAl-NTSC to full HD).
A 10b based formats would be great for the higher bit depth on the Y' channel. More than 8b chroma is unnecessary on acquisition. And not everything is about luma and chroma when filming. There are many other elements to take in to account.
rafael

Ed David September 3rd, 2009 09:09 AM

Thanks guys
I'm excited and ready to start posting clips I shoot with it for History Channel, MTV, and Sundance Channel.

Dan Keaton September 3rd, 2009 09:25 AM

Dear Ed,

We would love to see any clips that you can share.

Barlow Elton September 4th, 2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1305417)
When I stop to think about this, it is kind of amazing. We now offer a small, lightweight, all solid-state, noiseless recorder in which the playback images are visually the same as the live uncompressed images, and one can drag and drop the files into Final Cut Pro, Avid, and other editors with no transcoding required.

And one can use the recorder on a very wide range of cameras allowing ones investment to be preserved as one's camera is upgraded.

It really is amazing, do doubt about it. It's so easy to use and the workflow is about as simple as you could reasonably ask for. Just drag the files into FCP, etc and go. Render ProRes or uncompressed after editing in an XDCAM timeline. Done.

Damn thing makes the HV-30's image look embarrassingly good too! (given enough light, of course)