Just Ordered My Nanoflash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Just Ordered My Nanoflash

I couldn't wait any longer for the Ki Pro - also I like the fact of recording to solid state for so cheap. I hope to be wowed and think this will take my Sony EX1 to the next level.
Ed David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear David,

Welcome aboard!

We feel that you will be very happy with your new nanoFlash.

At trade shows, I setup a nice camera with HD-SDI, and a very nice $5,000 Sony LMD-2450wHD 1920 x 1080 monitor.

I ask our guest to look very carefully at the images for any defects. Then I pan the camera, then I may move the camera wildly, then I may focus on a very dark area of the venue, usually a dark corner of the ceiling, if possible, while recording at 100 Mbps Long-GOP.

Then during playback I ask our guest to very carefully check the images. It always looks just like the live uncompressed images. No one has ever found a visual defect. Some ask to see the blue channel and check it out very carefully.

When I stop to think about this, it is kind of amazing. We now offer a small, lightweight, all solid-state, noiseless recorder in which the playback images are visually the same as the live uncompressed images, and one can drag and drop the files into Final Cut Pro, Avid, and other editors with no transcoding required.

And one can use the recorder on a very wide range of cameras allowing ones investment to be preserved as one's camera is upgraded.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Major Player

I think the KI Pro will be a great machine but is a different concept. Nothing that you can put in your pocket like the NANO.
I think as well that AJA made a big mistake about the storage system for this device and with the new MBPs without Express slot, things get even more complicated.
There is not any other recording system in the market that offers the options that the nano offers (from 9 to 220 Mbps/PAl-NTSC to full HD).
A 10b based formats would be great for the higher bit depth on the Y' channel. More than 8b chroma is unnecessary on acquisition. And not everything is about luma and chroma when filming. There are many other elements to take in to account.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys
I'm excited and ready to start posting clips I shoot with it for History Channel, MTV, and Sundance Channel.
Ed David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Ed,

We would love to see any clips that you can share.
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
When I stop to think about this, it is kind of amazing. We now offer a small, lightweight, all solid-state, noiseless recorder in which the playback images are visually the same as the live uncompressed images, and one can drag and drop the files into Final Cut Pro, Avid, and other editors with no transcoding required.

And one can use the recorder on a very wide range of cameras allowing ones investment to be preserved as one's camera is upgraded.
It really is amazing, do doubt about it. It's so easy to use and the workflow is about as simple as you could reasonably ask for. Just drag the files into FCP, etc and go. Render ProRes or uncompressed after editing in an XDCAM timeline. Done.

Damn thing makes the HV-30's image look embarrassingly good too! (given enough light, of course)
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey