DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Nano perfect for XDCAM EX (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/366964-nano-perfect-xdcam-ex.html)

Paul Cronin September 6th, 2009 09:10 AM

Nano perfect for XDCAM EX

I ran the Nano through a few tests yesterday with excellent results. Shooting on a tripod out the door of my office for a few clips. At the same time I was recording 35M/bit into the camera while shooting 100M/bit on the cards. In FC running the lower bit rate on one screen while the higher bit rate runs in QT on the second screen the difference is very noticeable. I really like the detail and 422 for the fast motion footage I tend to shot for my business.

As most people know the size of the Nano is very appealing. After having a XDR this past winter the Nano is a treat. I am using the Swit battery on an EX1 to power the camera and the Nano. Full run time will be determined next week while on a 6 hr two tank day shoot in the R44. I have two Swit batteries and need to run for 5 ½ hrs on the shoot so a nice test. If I run into battery life problems I will have my Sony battery backup and shoot to SxS. But I am expecting no problem with two Swit S-8U62. One thing I have noticed is the Swit battery will discharge very fast when left on the camera. The Sony will do the same but at a much slower rate. More like ¼ of the Swit. So start the day charged which is always the case and only go onto the camera when it is go time.

I went for 4 Gepe Card Safe Extreme watertight cases for the Flash cards.
Gepe | Card Safe Extreme (Blue) | 3861-02 | B&H Photo Video
These are great for card storage. I change cards in the helicopter with the door off and on the deck of boats so putting the cards is a very secure holder is nice.

I do need to buy a shorter SDI cable. Currently I only have a 48” SDI and need a 20” SDI cable to be perfect while the Nano is on a hot shoe adapter built with parts that I had sitting around.

Dan have you or anyone third party developed a cover for the Nano? Not waterproof just something that keeps dust and flying particles out?

More test this week on naming clips from the QT files off the camera, on the clips I do not have to bring into FC prior to sending out to some clients.

Thanks C-D for a great product that is a perfect match for all Sony EX camera owners who want to take full advantage of the 1080p 422 the camera shoots.

Dan Keaton September 6th, 2009 10:14 AM

Dear Paul,

I am glad you are happy with the nanoFlash.

Sorry but no, we have not yet developed a custom cover for the nanoFlash.

Please call at your convenience; I have some cover ideas we can discuss.

Justin Benn September 6th, 2009 05:04 PM

Gepe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1319218)
I went for 4 Gepe Card Safe Extreme watertight cases for the Flash cards.
Gepe | Card Safe Extreme (Blue) | 3861-02 | B&H Photo Video
These are great for card storage. I change cards in the helicopter with the door off and on the deck of boats so putting the cards is a very secure holder is nice.

I have 4 of those Gepe cases and they're excellent. Watertight and float in water too.

If I get another XDCAM EX before the end of the it is destined to have a Nanoflash on it.

Jus.

Rafael Amador September 7th, 2009 09:10 AM

I've got my NANO since this morning.
I thought to make many tests.
I've shoot a couple of minutes at 100Mbps LGOPs.
Few fast movements with the camera and some shoots to the sky.
Don't need more test to see what the NANO does.
This little machine rocks!!!
rafael