M2V/MPG and audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Major Player

M2V/MPG and audio

I have started playing around with the Nanoflash's ability to create transport streams and have had issues creating audio. The video looks great at 35Mbps and drops into Encore CS4 no problem. However, either audio isn't created during the recording process or the applications I'm using are seeing the embedded audio in the stream.

Am I wrong in thinking their should be audio with these files?
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brill View Post
I have started playing around with the Nanoflash's ability to create transport streams and have had issues creating audio. The video looks great at 35Mbps and drops into Encore CS4 no problem. However, either audio isn't created during the recording process or the applications I'm using are seeing the embedded audio in the stream.

Am I wrong in thinking their should be audio with these files?
Hi James-
Our hardware engineer is looking into the audio in the MPG file. I suspect we're not 100% compatible with the spec, as we have discovered playback issues on long files. Please allow a few more days of debug and testing to get this corrected.

Best-
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Okay. Just to clarify I've got no audio for both M2V and MPG
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear James,

M2V is a video only format, so there not any audio by design.

MPG should have audio. We are checking into this.
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Dan,
Well today I got my brand new NanoFlash just waiting for media and I can try all this stuff.
What I want to ask is why have an M2V video only format or is audio planned be included with future upgrades?
Most of my work is distributed to CD and BD and this could have an enormous benefit to production workflow.

Thanks
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

The ".MPG" file format, according to the published standard, has both audio and video, and can be used to create a file ready to be burned to a DVD or Blu-ray.

The ".M2V" file format, according to the published standard, has video only, and can be used to create a file ready to be burned to a DVD or Blu-ray.

So the choice is yours. We offer both so the user can use whichever one is appropriate.

I am worried that some may choose ".M2V" when they also want audio recorded. Since ".M2V" does not have audio, the file is smaller.
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for clearing that up Dan.
I do understand that you are producing equipment to a standard what I am questioning is the standard.

I just fail to understand why a standard was developed without sound unless the audio was to imported by other means.

I will make sure I do not select that option.

Cheers
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey Dan,
I think I get it now you use the Nano as a recorder form your NLE timeline record the MPEG2 elementary stream (video only) in real time saving long rendering time using compressor. Your then only need to render the audio only which should not take long at all . Then drop them both into the Blu-ray authoring software and you have saved many hour of render time.
I have been focused on the Nano for acquisition for the camera and not as authoring tool.
Thanks
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

Yes!

We think these new features add significant value to the Flash XDR and nanoFlash.

These new features are in the nanoFlash right now, with firmware 1.0.64, and will be added to the Flash XDR soon. Our firmware update for the Flash XDR is currently being tested.
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #10
Major Player

Dan - With regards to the MPG stream, is there an application you recommend using to burn them quickly to blu ray for simple playback? I used a free app called TSmuxer which quickly made the folders found on a Blu Ray and then you just burnt them like data. I figure Encore isn't terrible but to just get video onto a disk for dailies it seems a bit overboard.
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #11
Major Player

Dan – You guys are really surprising me all the time, when I ordered my NanoFlash I had one application for it (Good quality SD) now you have opened the door and made it a very versatile multifunction unit. I can’t wait to see what you guys will come up with next.

I had a Media 100 iFinsh system which had realtime mpeg encoder board (Sony chip set) which in the early day’s of DVD production allowed me to make the mpeg stream in realtime and burn to disk. I know the amount of time this saved me and I was able to get product out very quickly which gave me a marketing advantage. Given that the amount of data for Blu-ray authoring is so much more than DVD the Nano is going to be an essential part of our production suite. I will be working with this feature as soon as my media arrives to find my best workflow to build Blu-ray disk’s.

Thanks
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear James,

We have been testing various DVD / Blu-ray burning software in our lab.

When possible, we will report our results.

In the meantime, we would welcome suggestions as to the specific software that our friends would like to use.
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

We really appreciate you kind thoughts.

We have some exciting new features coming up.
Old September 12th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Librandi View Post
Hey Dan,
I think I get it now you use the Nano as a recorder form your NLE timeline record the MPEG2 elementary stream (video only) in real time saving long rendering time using compressor. Your then only need to render the audio only which should not take long at all . Then drop them both into the Blu-ray authoring software and you have saved many hour of render time.
I have been focused on the Nano for acquisition for the camera and not as authoring tool.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Lance,

Yes!

We think these new features add significant value to the Flash XDR and nanoFlash.

These new features are in the nanoFlash right now, with firmware 1.0.64, and will be added to the Flash XDR soon. Our firmware update for the Flash XDR is currently being tested.
I assume this means that your particular NLE outputs HD-SDI or HDMI from your editing workstation (for example Edius (Grass Valley) 5.0 with HDSPARK for HDMI or HDTHUNDER for HD-SDI output)? You then are able to write the m2v files to the CF cards and then copy to your hard disk and into the particular Blu-ray authoring program?

If that is the case you have added a feature found in certain hardware cards (e.g. Firecorder Blu from Grass Valley - however this does conversion to H.264 and MPEG-2 but not m2v and is rather buggy and incompatible with some authoring programs).

Would be very interested to see your test results with DVDitProHD.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Barry,
I use FCP 7 with Mac Book Pro and have in the last few months moved to HD, my system is set up SD and analogue. I now have to purchase a firewire device that will give me hd sdi which will also include analogue outputs and compatible with FCP 7. I am still look at various option, once I have the system in place I will post my results which may not be till the end of the month.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey