DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   XDR Failed again to close file (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/400467-xdr-failed-again-close-file.html)

Jonathan Thursby September 15th, 2009 08:09 AM

XDR Failed again to close file

We have had 3 XDR units for over a year now. We have only seriously started using them in last 3 months. We are very concerned at the reliability of these units. We have complained that on many occassions it fails to close a file after recording, the only way to stop is to turn power off, lose file and start again which is happening to frequently. After a suggestion of the HDSDI stream lose we discovered that the Fixed mount of BNC onto the motherboard had fractured, this is an incredibly BAD design, although you have the used Gold plated BNC with multiple fixing you have not allowed for any movement and these will fracture at some point, we have modified this with small tails to motherboard. We though we had fixted this file closing problem. But over this last week we have been using them again and they have all started to not close file. We have latest firmware. We were about to buy anoth 6 Flash units and 3 more nanos. Based on this poor performance we should be asking for our money back and stating the units are not fit for purpose. Like the firmware updates have we an old design mother board? So far I have not had any really help only `its not our product`. We are about to spec for a job where these units will have to be reliable and they arent. The Toshiba minicams that we have been using are good and HDSDI stream check as we have been down converting these to SD for last 18 months

Dan Keaton September 15th, 2009 08:56 AM

Dear Jonathan,

We had a design/manufacturing issue with our earliest versions of the Flash XDR.

There was stress on the BNC connector where it attached to the mainboard.

We took corrective action with both the Flash XDR and the nanoFlash.

Specifically, the BNC mounting points on the nanoFlash are extremely sturdy. A great deal of attention was placed on later Flash XDR's to ensure that the BNC connections were secure.

We will be happy to repair your Flash XDR's.

Are you saying that we said "It is not our Product"?

We will stand behind our product and make it good. Are you in Norwich, England?

Mike Schell September 15th, 2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Thursby (Post 1356004)
We have had 3 XDR units for over a year now. We have only seriously started using them in last 3 months. We are very concerned at the reliability of these units. We have complained that on many occassions it fails to close a file after recording, the only way to stop is to turn power off, lose file and start again which is happening to frequently. After a suggestion of the HDSDI stream lose we discovered that the Fixed mount of BNC onto the motherboard had fractured, this is an incredibly BAD design, although you have the used Gold plated BNC with multiple fixing you have not allowed for any movement and these will fracture at some point, we have modified this with small tails to motherboard. We though we had fixted this file closing problem. But over this last week we have been using them again and they have all started to not close file. We have latest firmware. We were about to buy anoth 6 Flash units and 3 more nanos. Based on this poor performance we should be asking for our money back and stating the units are not fit for purpose. Like the firmware updates have we an old design mother board? So far I have not had any really help only `its not our product`. We are about to spec for a job where these units will have to be reliable and they arent. The Toshiba minicams that we have been using are good and HDSDI stream check as we have been down converting these to SD for last 18 months

Hi Jonathan-
We are more than willing to take a look at your boxes and repair or swap-out as necessary. The BNC connector we use in the Flash XDR and nanoFlash are rated for 3GHz operation. The original Flash XDR did have problems with the BNC connections, but this was modified with a redesign. The nanoFlash has a new BNC design which is incredible secure.

Best-

Jonathan Thursby September 16th, 2009 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Schell (Post 1356228)
Hi Jonathan-
We are more than willing to take a look at your boxes and repair or swap-out as necessary. The BNC connector we use in the Flash XDR and nanoFlash are rated for 3GHz operation. The original Flash XDR did have problems with the BNC connections, but this was modified with a redesign. The nanoFlash has a new BNC design which is incredible secure.

Best-

We are based in Norwich UK.
I am saying that we have had problems with recording HD on XDR units and that so far we have no solution. We have no confidence in the unit actual recording a sequence. Our experience over the last few months is poor, not only the unit but support and suggestion of the fault.
I will look at our Nano and let you know my feelings regarding the BNC. Regarding the 3Ghz testing, at what amplitude is this, what varience and in what axial plane? You might have thought of vibration but what about axial torque when connjecting a BNC?
Another issue that has cropped up in last 2 weeks is that the unit managed to record some frames in NTSC i.e. 1080i60. We have narrowed this down as being the fact the default boot up input the unit expecst is 1080i60. We have had a few issuses with the unit not changing to 1080i50 even though the input is 1080i50. May I suggest that all uk units have firmware that expect to see 50 first?

Dan Keaton September 16th, 2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Thursby (Post 1359232)
We are based in Norwich UK.
Our experience over the last few months is poor, not only the unit but support and suggestion of the fault.

Dear Jonathan,

With all due respect, it appears that you have been having problems, but not contacting us for support.

Shortly after your post yesterday, we sent you an email offering to repair or replace your Flash XDR's.

Four nanoFlashes were used in this year's X-Games. These included being mounted in cars performing jumps, but not as exteme as the 100' jumps you reported in May.

We have not had any reported failures with the BNC connectors on the nanoFlash.

Jonathan Thursby September 16th, 2009 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1359402)
Dear Jonathan,

With all due respect, it appears that you have been having problems, but not contacting us for support.

Shortly after your post yesterday, we sent you an email offering to repair or replace your Flash XDR's.

Four nanoFlashes were used in this year's X-Games. These included being mounted in cars performing jumps, but not as exteme as the 100' jumps you reported in May.

We have not had any reported failures with the BNC connectors on the nanoFlash.

So can I send all 3 XDR back to pole cam for replacement with the newer design?

Alister Chapman September 16th, 2009 04:05 AM

My experience with the NanoFlash is that it dosn't have a "default" input mode. It simply detects the incoming stream and encodes it. It's not like the old analog days when there was a need to switch sampling rates, sub carriers etc. I can't see how it could record a 60i stream from a 50i feed, where do the extra frames come from? The Sony codec chip can't do frame rate conversion as far as I know.

Dan Keaton September 16th, 2009 04:12 AM

Dear Jonathan,

Please just respond to the email that we sent you.

We may work with you directly to resolve all of your issues.