XDR set to 100 mbit/s, but records in 50 mbit/s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 15th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Tourist

XDR set to 100 mbit/s, but records in 50 mbit/s

Hi guys!
We have a problem:
Even though the XDR is set to record 25 psf/100mbit/s, when transferring files to pc, they're recorded in 50 mbit/s only. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
We have our XDR hooked up to a Cineflex V14 mounted on a Eurocopter AS 350, so we can't for obvious reasons do retakes.
This afternoon we're shooting for a feature film and their post production facility has asked for the highest bandwidth possible.
What to do? How can I check bandwidth without actually transferring data to disk?
Kind Regards

Jonas Malm
DoP / Cineflex Operator
HeliAir Sweden
Jonas Malm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The headers in the NanoFlash files report the clips as being 50Mb/s even when you record at 100Mb/s. You have obviously already off loaded some files to a PC. If you re-encode those files at 50Mb/s and compare with the original file sizes you will find the new files almost half the size, proving that you are shooting at 100Mb/s.

This is not a bug. It is a little annoying, but essential at the moment as very few editors support 100Mb/s mpeg. This is a clever way of fooling the editor so that the file will not be rejected by the edit suite.
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Major Player

I believe this is even true of the Sony MXF Player program. When you check the metadata it reports the file as being 50mbps instead of 100.

The same is true of Final Cut Pro reporting the files as 50 instead of 100mbps.

But as Tommy Schell pointed out if you look at the file sizes for the time length recorded, the file size indicates that they are indeed 100mbps of data.

But as has been pointed out in other threads, this issue with the NLE's not supporting anything above 50mbps requires you to be careful when doing edits and final output of your project. Example, in FCP you need to set your project to be either uncompressed at final output (thanks to Elton Barlow), or setup FCP to only render effects (such as dissolves etc.) in ProRes which leaves footage without effects in their original 100mbps state. (thanks again to Tommy Schell for this advice).

It is annoying that the C-D recorders put out a higher quality product than the NLE's are currently able to accurately see without workarounds. But the workarounds are simple.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard View Post
I believe this is even true of the Sony MXF Player program. When you check the metadata it reports the file as being 50mbps instead of 100.

The same is true of Final Cut Pro reporting the files as 50 instead of 100mbps.

But as Tommy Schell pointed out if you look at the file sizes for the time length recorded, the file size indicates that they are indeed 100mbps of data.

But as has been pointed out in other threads, this issue with the NLE's not supporting anything above 50mbps requires you to be careful when doing edits and final output of your project. Example, in FCP you need to set your project to be either uncompressed at final output (thanks to Elton Barlow), or setup FCP to only render effects (such as dissolves etc.) in ProRes which leaves footage without effects in their original 100mbps state. (thanks again to Tommy Schell for this advice).

It is annoying that the C-D recorders put out a higher quality product than the NLE's are currently able to accurately see without workarounds. But the workarounds are simple.
I have downloaded some sample files (@ 100mbps) from the Convergent website and my Edius program shows the correct bitrate of 100mbps.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Major Player

In QT you get "Codec: Apple XDCAM..50Mbps" but the Bit-rate states clearly 100 Mbps.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
I have downloaded some sample files (@ 100mbps) from the Convergent website and my Edius program shows the correct bitrate of 100mbps.
Barry, that is good news as I am about to start a project in Edius (4.61) using 100mbps MXF footage.

Have you tried a dissolve or other effect and then render out a final output file to see the if Edius retains the full 100mbps data?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard View Post
Barry, that is good news as I am about to start a project in Edius (4.61) using 100mbps MXF footage.

Have you tried a dissolve or other effect and then render out a final output file to see the if Edius retains the full 100mbps data?
No, haven't done that yet - just wanted to see how the videos looked and what info was contained in "properties". I think I have the project saved and my try some fiddling with it. However, my final delivery will be for blu-ray specs - i.e. <40mbps
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey