DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Flash XDR Menu Settings Recipe for XL H1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/408287-flash-xdr-menu-settings-recipe-xl-h1.html)

Mark Job September 17th, 2009 09:57 AM

Flash XDR Menu Settings Recipe for XL H1

Hi Dan & Fellow XDR & Canon XL H1 Shooters:
I am slowly winding through the XDR user manual to understand how to setup my unit for shooting some tests this Afternoon, and I was wondering if the more learned shooters who are used to using the XDR with the H1 could post a basic setup settings list recipe to put the XDR into a ready Long GOP 100 Mb record mode with the H1 ? The XDR menu looks a little daunting to me at first. Perhaps we could actually make a quick start sticky for use with the XDR and the Canon HDV camcorders ? (That is if they are all basicly the same setup for use with XDR as the XL H1 is ??). I need to check out what the H1 now looks like going to a high data rate Long GOP format via the uncompressed HD-SDI port on the camera. This is a combination I have never seen from my XL H1 before.

Much Thanx for this in Advance.

P.S. Yes, I'm going straight back to the manual right now.

Alister Chapman September 17th, 2009 11:29 AM

Set the Codec to 100Mb/s
Tick the PsF IN box
Choose your record trigger method. Use Embbeded Timecode to make it run when the camera runs (camera timecode must be set to Rec-Run)
If shooting 60i or 30P set timecode to Drop Frame
Select .MOV files for editing on a Mac, everything else .MXF
Set Input to HDSDi

That's pretty much it.

Mark Job September 17th, 2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1364984)
Set the Codec to 100Mb/s
Tick the PsF IN box
Choose your record trigger method. Use Embbeded Timecode to make it run when the camera runs (camera timecode must be set to Rec-Run)
If shooting 60i or 30P set timecode to Drop Frame
Select .MOV files for editing on a Mac, everything else .MXF
Set Input to HDSDi

That's pretty much it.

.....OK. Thank you Alister. Do I need to actually have a tape in my XL H1 to make the XDR run when I press the camera record button ?

Alister Chapman September 17th, 2009 12:01 PM

Only if your going to use embedded timecode to trigger. If you are not using tape then you'll have to set the record trigger to the record button and then use that to start recording and stop to stop.

Dan Keaton September 17th, 2009 12:16 PM

Dear Mark,

Please feel free to call, I will help get you started.

If you are shooting progressive, check the PSF In box.

If you are shooting 1080i59.94 or 1080i50, do not check the PSF In box.

Alister Chapman September 17th, 2009 03:02 PM

Oops, my bad. I shoot just about everything progressive these days. I have to remember that not everyone shoots P.

David Issko September 17th, 2009 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1365652)
I have to remember that not everyone shoots P.

Like me! Call me old fashioned, backward, silly but I am back to i after not liking p.I really did try but..... Still stuck with p on a few ongoing projects but new ones are i.

Maybe I will get sick of i and cycle back to p but the i's have it for me for now.

John Richard September 17th, 2009 03:46 PM

Also be aware of the differences between the XLH1 and the newer XLH1s.

The older H1 requires you to connect up a bnc cable from the H1 timecode out to the XDR timecode in and set the H1 menu correctly for timecode output.
You will also need to be sure to feed the audio source to the XDR via XLR cables and set the audio menu on the XDR accordingly. The original H1 only outputs video out the HD-SDI bnc jack - there is no timecode or audio embedded in this signal.

The new H1s makes things a lot simpler as both timecode and audio are now embedded in the signal put out thur the H1s HD-SDI bnc jack.

I hope I have helped and not confused the issue.

And Dan Keaton is a great resource - very knowledgeable and he is an original H1 owner/user himself and always willing to help when called or emailed. He lives this stuff.

Mark Job September 17th, 2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Richard (Post 1365769)
Also be aware of the differences between the XLH1 and the newer XLH1s.

The older H1 requires you to connect up a bnc cable from the H1 timecode out to the XDR timecode in and set the H1 menu correctly for timecode output.
You will also need to be sure to feed the audio source to the XDR via XLR cables and set the audio menu on the XDR accordingly. The original H1 only outputs video out the HD-SDI bnc jack - there is no timecode or audio embedded in this signal.

The new H1s makes things a lot simpler as both timecode and audio are now embedded in the signal put out thur the H1s HD-SDI bnc jack.

I hope I have helped and not confused the issue.

And Dan Keaton is a great resource - very knowledgeable and he is an original H1 owner/user himself and always willing to help when called or emailed. He lives this stuff.

....No, you have helped to clarify things for me John. Thank you for your feedback. Yes, Dan is very, very knowledgeable and he has a strong passion for this stuff. Have you tried his custom designed Xl H1 mount for the XDR ? Amazing ! If you put the XDR onto an XL H1 or H1s with this mount, then it isn't going to go anywhere but where you put it, plus it gives you plenty of places to mount other gear like wireless receivers and lights and audio cables.