MacPro not seeing FW after playing clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 17th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Major Player

MacPro not seeing FW after playing clip

I shot a concert last night with my EX3 & nanoFlash. Put the Sandisk 32Gb Extreme III in the Lexar reader and that into the FW800 as I have done a few time previously. Started up one of the clips, it played for a couple of seconds and stopped cold. I had to force quit QT and after that no FW device in any port is recognised!

System profiler says it cannot read firewire devices. I tried different ones in different ports but none are being seen by the computer. I ran a few diagnostics and even reinstalled Leopard but still no sign of any FW device.

Internal drives are seen and work fine.

Any ideas or comments will be most welcome.
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #2
Major Player

The easiest solution is to use USB 2.0 (if present on external drive) as this will bypass any IO any Kext. If not that, connect on PC and transfer via Samba (under run command). This will use a protocol that will virtually be error free and not demand an Apple Kext.

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Christopher,

The solution was to reinstall OS 10.5 + updates and reload all of the software again, which is not that much really. FIXED problem. I suspect a MAJOR file corruption took place, which was just bad luck.

I would also like to thank Brian Doherty for his kind phone call just before this post. He came up with a couple of suggestions, which I am most grateful for. Thanks Brian for taking time out of your busy schedule to try and help me, but as I mentioned, I had been working on solving the problem all day and the upside is that I have a nice, clean install.

Best wishes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey