DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Dan Keaton, The Consummate Professional (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/438969-dan-keaton-consummate-professional.html)

David Issko September 25th, 2009 03:31 PM

Dan Keaton, The Consummate Professional

I recently had a problem with Convergent Design supplied D-Tap to Hirose cable that I used from my EX3 battery setups to power my nanoFlash. It worked for a few weeks and suddenly after a change of battery arrangement for the camera/nano, the cable short circuited.

In a (nano) flash Dan sent me not 1 but 2 cables to replace the failed cable and it took just a few days to reach me.

Suffice it to say that both new cables work flawlessly with all of my battery configurations.

Moral of this story is that the after sales service from Convergent Design is equal to the superb quality of the products they sell and Dan literally bent over backward to assist me.

Thanks very much Dan.

Stephen Mick September 25th, 2009 04:07 PM

Dan "The Man"

I had a similar experience after my recent purchase of a Nano Flash unit. I had quite a few questions for Dan and Mike before I bought, and they were always quick to respond. My first D-Tap to Hirose power cable arrived with a short of some kind, and on a Friday. Dan helped me troubleshoot most of Friday evening, and when it was clear the cable was the problem, he spent part of his weekend building two fresh cables just for me. They arrived in perfect working order and in plenty of time for my recent shoot in Costa Rica.

I can't say enough about both the Nano Flash and the service these guys deliver.

--SM

Dan Keaton September 25th, 2009 06:31 PM

Dear David and Stephen,

Your very kind, and very public, words are greatly appreciated.

We had three D-Tap to 4-Pin Hirose cable fail.

This was of great concern to us, so Stephen prompty sent his back to us for analysis.

I tested it, and when our cable technican tested it, neither of us could make it fail.

Then David's failed. We do not have David's back yet from Australia.

Today, we got word from Alister Chapman. He determined the cause of the failures.

Our cable technican, as is proper, squeezes a metal sleeve over the cable. Then a very small screw is used to hold the cable sleeve from twisting.

It appears that the cable can still twist, and twist enough inside the connector to cause a short.

We are taking corrective action so that our cables can not twist.

Also, we will be happy to replace any cable upon request.

I think that it will be best for us to send out replacement cables, then when our friends receive these cables, they could send the originals back to us.

In the meantime, we ask that our friends take care not to twist the cable in the connector.

My email is dan (at) convergent-design (dot) com

Dean Harrington September 26th, 2009 04:53 AM

very thoughtful ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1398393)
Dear David and Stephen,

Your very kind, and very public, words are greatly appreciated.

We had three D-Tap to 4-Pin Hirose cable fail.

This was of great concern to us, so Stephen prompty sent his back to us for analysis.

I tested it, and when our cable technican tested it, neither of us could make it fail.

Then David's failed. We do not have David's back yet from Australia.

Today, we got word from Alister Chapman. He determined the cause of the failures.

Our cable technican, as is proper, squeezes a metal sleeve over the cable. Then a very small screw is used to hold the cable sleeve from twisting.

It appears that the cable can still twist, and twist enough inside the connector to cause a short.

We are taking corrective action so that our cables can not twist.

Also, we will be happy to replace any cable upon request.

I think that it will be best for us to send out replacement cables, then when our friends receive these cables, they could send the originals back to us.

In the meantime, we ask that our friends take care not to twist the cable in the connector.

My email is dan (at) convergent-design (dot) com

thanks guys!

Lance Librandi September 26th, 2009 06:24 AM

Hello All,
For what it’s worth another technician’s view.

I have recently had my remote and power cables made by our technician who made the observation that the wiring in this small connector can suffer from mechanical movement. He suggested that since cable that we used was smaller in diameter than the opening of the rear of the connector that it should be reinforced. This was done by pouring hot glue into the rear of the connector which formed a plug that can not come out even if you put strain on the boot.

He stressed on me that you only connect and disconnect the plug cable by using the releasing collar and never the boot.
I am pleased to hear that even in the event of a short that the NanoFlash was undamaged.

Cheers

Mark Job September 26th, 2009 08:24 AM

Dan is Totally Pro !

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Issko (Post 1397924)
I recently had a problem with Convergent Design supplied D-Tap to Hirose cable that I used from my EX3 battery setups to power my nanoFlash. It worked for a few weeks and suddenly after a change of battery arrangement for the camera/nano, the cable short circuited.

In a (nano) flash Dan sent me not 1 but 2 cables to replace the failed cable and it took just a few days to reach me.

Suffice it to say that both new cables work flawlessly with all of my battery configurations.

Moral of this story is that the after sales service from Convergent Design is equal to the superb quality of the products they sell and Dan literally bent over backward to assist me.

Thanks very much Dan.

...I have to agree with the above statements. Dan is always there and on the ball with expert advice, patience, and action. Dan's knowledge of the products he sells is encyclopedic and thorough. Dan is also an accomplished software code writer/engineer and an excellent designer. Check out his XDR mount for the Canon XL H1.

Aaron Newsome September 26th, 2009 05:16 PM

I had similar experience with Dan, although nothing has ever failed on me. Before I purchased the XDR, I talked to Dan and he answered some questions for me. Even after I told him that I was leaning toward the AJA Ki Pro and probably would not be purchasing an XDR, he still spent nearly an hour with me on the phone.

Well, long story short, I did not end up buying the AJA Ki Pro (although I'd still like one, and may buy one anyway). I bought the XDR and I'm very happy with it. CD still continues to provide excellent customer service.

I don't know of any company that pays as much attention to its users on a forum like this. If there is even a whiff of something not working correctly, they are on it so fast it's crazy.

XDR = best purchase ever.