DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Canon 5D Magic Lantern 1080i live out firmware (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/449017-canon-5d-magic-lantern-1080i-live-out-firmware.html)

Ed David September 28th, 2009 07:30 AM

Canon 5D Magic Lantern 1080i live out firmware

What looks to be exciting news, Magic Latern is developing a firmware update to let the Canon 5D MarkII output live 1080i video from the hdmi port. If they can do that for the 7D, then I'm sure as heck going to be buying one and using it with my nanoflash. Bypassing the whole h.264 mess.

Mark Job September 28th, 2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed David (Post 1408942)
What looks to be exciting news, Magic Latern is developing a firmware update to let the Canon 5D MarkII output live 1080i video from the hdmi port. If they can do that for the 7D, then I'm sure as heck going to be buying one and using it with my nanoflash. Bypassing the whole h.264 mess.

....Hi Ed: Yeah man ! - That's crazy quality video ! Now, I went and watched the Magic Lantern videos and I noticed some video stuttering. I don't know if this is because of my Internet connection, my PC, the Flash encode they performed, or the Canon 5D Mark II video itself ??? If you connected a Nano Flash box up to the HDMI output, then I should think you would get awesome quality audio and video from this camera. I will go watch these videos on my iMAC to see if they stutter there as well.

EDIT: Yes. I looked at the magic lantern videos on my iMAC and they definately stutter. Hmmm ? Is this the Canon 5D video or their encode to Flash ??

Dan Keaton September 28th, 2009 11:19 AM

Dear Ed and Mark,

While we would love to record the HDMI output of the Canon 5D Mark II, or the Canon 7D, with the nanoFlash, this is not practical at this time.

We admire Trammell Hudson and the remarkable work that he is doing and we think these cameras are just great.

However, we feel that the goal of recording very high quality images, comparable or better than these cameras can record internally, is not achievable via the HDMI output at this time.

Mark Job September 28th, 2009 11:28 AM

Oh really ? Is there a physical limitation in the implementation of the HDMI ? What version of HDMI is the Nano Dan ? I am assuming it's HDMI version 1.3. Do you have to write some kind of special programming language for Nano to talk to Canon 5D Mark II ?

Dan Keaton September 28th, 2009 12:30 PM

Dear Mark,

When one records with these camera's, one desires the highest level of quality.

The HDMI output of these cameras is designed for monitoring, framing, etc., not recording.

Mark Job September 28th, 2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1409959)
Dear Mark,

When one records with these camera's, one desires the highest level of quality.

The HDMI output of these cameras is designed for monitoring, framing, etc., not recording.

...OK. Understood. However, Magic Lantern claims the HDMI output with their firmware modification allows for full raster 1920 x 1080 @ 59.94 MHz interlaced. They have stated they are already working on a true 24p output version as well.

Dan Keaton September 28th, 2009 01:06 PM

Dear Mark,

Trammell has performed some almost unbelievable magic with these cameras.

We have visited with him twice now, and will do so again. Our last visit was one week ago today.

If we can get everything to work together, so that one can use the nanoFlash to successfully record from these wonderful cameras, we will post it here.

Mark Job September 28th, 2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1409972)
Dear Mark,

Trammell has performed some almost unbelievable magic with these cameras.

We have visited with him twice now, and will do so again. Our last visit was one week ago today.

If we can get everything to work together, so that one can use the nanoFlash to successfully record from these wonderful cameras, we will post it here.

...I say this guy is a true magician-alchemist ! I hope the stuttering in the video motion I'm seeing is the result of the Vimeo encoder and not the video motion coming straight out of the Canon 5D Mark II. (??) The image quality in the three candle light scene is utterly astounding in every way !

Ed David September 28th, 2009 03:37 PM

what video is this you're looking at? I couldn't find that candlelight idea anywhere.

Mark Job September 28th, 2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed David (Post 1410426)
what video is this you're looking at? I couldn't find that candlelight idea anywhere.

Hi Ed: Try clicking on this. Three candle power on Vimeo

Mark Job October 3rd, 2009 03:28 PM

Hi Dan & Mike:
Trammell has done it again ! Look at this man's accomplishment to make the Magic Lantern Firmware self bootable from a CF card ! Checkout Autoboot - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

Eric Ramahatra October 17th, 2009 01:29 AM

Unfortunately the hdmi output is Already h264 compressed so
there is no advantage at all to capture this way... Except may be having native 24/25p.

You can figure it out by the 1sec delay between the hdmi output to screen and what you are filming : this is the amount of time the hardware requires to compress the signal.

Gints Klimanis October 17th, 2009 02:50 AM

Are you saying that the Canon HDMI output is decompressed H.264? I can see that as the only video path to the LCD display buffer, but the HDMI? That's an odd thing to do.

Mike Schell October 17th, 2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Ramahatra (Post 1433623)
Unfortunately the hdmi output is Already h264 compressed so
there is no advantage at all to capture this way... Except may be having native 24/25p.

You can figure it out by the 1sec delay between the hdmi output to screen and what you are filming : this is the amount of time the hardware requires to compress the signal.

Hi Eric-
I beg to differ. According to our contacts at Canon, live output from any of their cameras or DSLRs has never been compressed. This is also true for every camera I have ever tested.

All cameras have a built-in CODEC, which can either work in compression or decompression mode, but not simultaneously. If the live output was previously compressed, then the camera would have to compress and then decompress the video in real time. Such as design would unnecessarily add power consumption and complexity.

The one second delay is due to internal signal processing.

Best-

James Huenergardt December 27th, 2009 03:16 AM

Any updates on the HDMI from the 5dmkII?