DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Newbie question about compatibility (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/449616-newbie-question-about-compatibility.html)

Craig Lieberman September 28th, 2009 10:56 AM

Newbie question about compatibility

Have a Canon XHA1 and just ordered the JVC GY HM700. Is the NanoFlash compatible with both? If I read the info and threads right, it is...just making sure prior to dropping some more coin.

Dan Keaton September 28th, 2009 11:23 AM

Dear Craig,

The HM700 has HD-SDI output and is compatible with the nanoFlash.

The Canon XH A1 does not have HD-SDI, nor HDMI output. As such, the component output would have to go through a converter before the signal could be accepted by the nanoFlash.

Craig Lieberman September 28th, 2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1409740)
Dear Craig,

The HM700 has HD-SDI output and is compatible with the nanoFlash.

The Canon XH A1 does not have HD-SDI, nor HDMI output. As such, the component output would have to go through a converter before the signal could be accepted by the nanoFlash.

Thanks, Dan.

What data rates might I expect with the HM700 and the NanoFlash...are we still talking 50 mbps, 100, 160?

Lastly, the files are written to NanoFlash in either Quicktime MOV or MXF files, IIRC.

Working with FCP 6.0.4 on a Mac Desktop with 16GB RAM, I assume this workflow would be fast and efficient.

Dan Keaton September 28th, 2009 12:55 PM

Dear Craig,

The data rate of your HM700 is 1.485 Gbps, or 1,485 Mbps.

The nanoFlash records in many different bit-rates, from a very low 5 Mbps (SD, for DVD's) up to and including 220 Mbps, but the sweet spot is 100 Mbps Long-GOP.

The nanoFlash can create Quicktime (".MOV"), MXF (".MXF), or MPG (".MPG").

(Note: I had to look up "IIRC" as I did not know what format that was!. Then I found that you meant "If I Remember Correctly", so I got a nice laugh.)

Your Mac Desktop should probably work ok.

Just be certain that your disk subsystem is up to par. Using a USB drive is not advisable, and working with SATA drives is far superior to Firewire drives. Is your Mac generally very responsive? If so, you should be ok.

Craig Lieberman September 28th, 2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1409969)
Dear Craig,

The data rate of your HM700 is 1.485 Gbps, or 1,485 Mbps.

The nanoFlash records in many different bit-rates, from a very low 5 Mbps (SD, for DVD's) up to and including 220 Mbps, but the sweet spot is 100 Mbps Long-GOP.

The nanoFlash can create Quicktime (".MOV"), MXF (".MXF), or MPG (".MPG").

(Note: I had to look up "IIRC" as I did not know what format that was!. Then I found that you meant "If I Remember Correctly", so I got a nice laugh.)

Your Mac Desktop should probably work ok.

Just be certain that your disk subsystem is up to par. Using a USB drive is not advisable, and working with SATA drives is far superior to Firewire drives. Is your Mac generally very responsive? If so, you should be ok.

Dan;

Your quick response and knowledge base have convinced me to buy your product. Upon delivery of my JVC unit, I will be procuring a Nanoflash without delay.

Dan Keaton September 28th, 2009 06:34 PM

Dear Craig,

Well, that certainly is good news.

I am confident that you will be happy with the nanoFlash.

Aaron Newsome September 28th, 2009 11:12 PM

Craig, you really can't go wrong. These little boxes are pure magic. Just awesome really.