DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Anyone Archiving MXF files from Nanoflash (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/457145-anyone-archiving-mxf-files-nanoflash.html)

Barry J. Weckesser September 30th, 2009 09:39 AM

Anyone Archiving MXF files from Nanoflash

As a newbie to the Nanoflash I just wonder what people are doing with the .mxf files (I am using 100mbps) as far as archiving goes. When you are dealing with file sizes of 50 (+or-)GB/hour of footage it could get rather expensive to archive them onto blu-ray even with the new BD-R's getting down into the $ 3 - 5 range.

Tim Polster September 30th, 2009 10:58 AM

Hard drives still seem to be the best backup source.

Not only price but time. Blu-ray would take a while to burn hours of footage.

I try to get my clients involved in the backup process and have them supply the drive and take home the source files. They bring the drive back when or if there is a change needed.

I use Edius so the source files (mxf) just stay in their original format, no transcoding or altering.

Barry J. Weckesser September 30th, 2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 1418262)

I try to get my clients involved in the backup process and have them supply the drive and take home the source files. They bring the drive back when or if there is a change needed.

I use Edius so the source files (mxf) just stay in their original format, no transcoding or altering.

All of my files are for home use and I was looking for the best way to archive them for long term storage- when the price comes down on 50Gb BD-R that would probably be a good alternative.

I also use Edius - handles the mxf files very well and it is one of the few NLE's that report out the proper bit rate of the files.

Tim Polster September 30th, 2009 11:51 AM

Long term backup is a difficult question.

I don't know what I trust. It seems discs are prone to the dye losing its gusto.

Maybe in a few years, solid state will be affrodable enough to archive to.

I keep a redundant copy of all of my hard discs as failure is possible.

I started really backing and rebacking up stuff after going to solid state. Once you wipe the card there is no turning back!

Regarding Edius, it is some really solid software. It did not flinch with the XDR files from the beginning. It is just coded really well.

I was amazed when I could playback the 100mbps Flash XDR clips in realtime with filters & buffer not budging straight from the USB reader!

Who needs a RAID setup.

Rafael Amador September 30th, 2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 1418262)

BR burners records 8x, so you stuff 50 GBs in disc in some 20 minutes times.
For downloading is more or less the same speed.
rafael