DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Over/under crank with the Flash/Nano (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/464941-over-under-crank-flash-nano.html)

Aaron Newsome October 24th, 2009 01:27 PM

Mark there is only one RED camera, the RED ONE. The Scarlet and Epic camera announcements will be later this month. Shooting 2K on the RED ONE uses a sensor cropping scheme, not the full sensor. I researched the RED pretty well before buying my Viper. This was one of the things I loved about the Viper, full sensor in all shooting modes except scope, even in scope mode it uses nearly all the sensor.

I don't know of any standard camera that can output a 1080p60 signal. The only camera that I know of that would be able to do that would be an expensive high speed camera.

Mark Job October 24th, 2009 01:29 PM

Make Believe Cameras

Hi Steve:
I suppose there is not enough investment going into RED Cinema to complete the R & D on their new stuff. I'm in the same position with my SD Card based Solid State Digital Recorder :-( I am glad we didn't publish any pictures on the Internet of our new box design yet.

Steve Phillipps October 24th, 2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Newsome (Post 1437347)

I don't know of any standard camera that can output a 1080p60 signal. The only camera that I know of that would be able to do that would be an expensive high speed camera.

The Sony F23 will do it and so will the new SRW9000 camcorder, recording to HDCam SR. Lot of money though, and a big bit of kit to lug around the hills!
Steve

Daniel Symmes October 24th, 2009 01:55 PM

If you can afford a 9000 you don't worry about compression.

Dan Keaton October 24th, 2009 02:00 PM

Dear Friends,

When the Sony SRW-9000 was first shown to the public, at NAB 2009, the nanoFlash was attached to the side of the camera.

We had been working with Sony for some time before the announcment. They made a very nice bracket so that nanoFlash becomes a nice attachment.

The nanoFlash is a recommended accessory for the SRW-9000. It is for recording proxies.

But, of course, we know it can be used for recording high quality images, but HDCam SR offers 4:4:4 and we do not.

Mark Job October 24th, 2009 02:14 PM

Hd cam sr & accessories

Hi Dan:
The HDCAM SR Camcorder also records and outputs in 4:2:2. Once the XDR is uncompressed and 10 bit, then it will also be capable of online capture from the HDCAM SR Camera output as a Recorder alternative.

Steve Phillipps October 24th, 2009 02:40 PM

But as we've already heard the Flash won't be able to record the 1080/60P that the camera can also output and record to 422 HDCam SR.
Steve

Paul Cronin October 24th, 2009 02:41 PM

Mark my Red One was 005721 purchased in Jan 09. The rest of the cameras are hype for now. I would suggest sticking with 2/3" broadcast HD camera with either the Nano or XDR. They are a proven system that pay the bills and keep the clients happy.

Aaron Newsome October 24th, 2009 02:54 PM

I know the F23 camera. I wasn't aware that it output a 1080p60. I don't know the SRW-9000 camera. I'll Google it.

Steve Phillipps October 24th, 2009 03:37 PM

It needs HKSR-102 and 103 cards and then does 1080/60P into the SRW-1 dockable recorder.
DisneyNature are using it for a couple of wildlife features in Africa along with a Phantom HD as reported here http://www.sony.co.uk/res/attachment...3895735044.pdf.
Steve

Mark Job October 24th, 2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 1437373)
But as we've already heard the Flash won't be able to record the 1080/60P that the camera can also output and record to 422 HDCam SR.
Steve

...Hi Steve: True. However regular speed shooting like that in a feature film would be perfectly acceptable to an XDR. EDIT: You could drop down to 720p 60 on the SRW 9000, then output your 60p in that format and intercut that slow mo into a 1080 timeline. Perhaps it could be matched to the 1080 ??

Mark Job October 25th, 2009 06:36 PM

Nice Sony Camera Attachment for the Nano

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1437361)
Dear Friends,

When the Sony SRW-9000 was first shown to the public, at NAB 2009, the nanoFlash was attached to the side of the camera.

We had been working with Sony for some time before the announcment. They made a very nice bracket so that nanoFlash becomes a nice attachment.

The nanoFlash is a recommended accessory for the SRW-9000. It is for recording proxies.

But, of course, we know it can be used for recording high quality images, but HDCam SR offers 4:4:4 and we do not.

...I watched the video with the English man in charge of engineering at Sony on the SRW 9000 project introduce the camera. We can clearly see there is a Nano Flash attached to he side of this wonderful camera. I can't quite see exactly how Sony has attached the Nano in this video. Can you post some pictures of this setup which shows the detail of how the Nano is attached ?

Mark Job October 25th, 2009 06:41 PM

The Viper & Slow Mo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Newsome (Post 1437347)
Mark there is only one RED camera, the RED ONE. The Scarlet and Epic camera announcements will be later this month. Shooting 2K on the RED ONE uses a sensor cropping scheme, not the full sensor. I researched the RED pretty well before buying my Viper. This was one of the things I loved about the Viper, full sensor in all shooting modes except scope, even in scope mode it uses nearly all the sensor.

...Hi Aaron. Does your Viper do slow mo and if so how fast can it go ?

Dan Keaton October 25th, 2009 06:46 PM

Dear Mark,

I searched for a photo of the nanoFlash mounted on the SRW-9000. I could not find one.

Sony built a custom bracket for the SRW-9000, using drawings we provided them prior to NAB. We did not build the bracket.

Mark Job October 25th, 2009 06:51 PM

Hi Dan:
OK. Well thanks for trying to get something up. Dan, how much does the basic SRW 9000 camera package cost ?