DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   XLH1S with Flash XDR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/465068-xlh1s-flash-xdr.html)

Obed Boas Berg October 5th, 2009 03:20 AM

XLH1S with Flash XDR

Hello to you all,

We received last week some new XLH1S, and to make it better we allso received a Flash XDR for testing. We are planning to give all our camera's a tapeless solution, so it will be a week of testing for us.

Now my question is, we connected the Flash XDR to our XLH1S but we were not able to record through the XDR. On the XDR we have set the following:

Trigger to Emb timecode
Bit Rate 50 mbps
Codec to Long Gop
PSF to IN

On the camera we set the SDI output to on.

Do we have a hardware problem or do we have something wrong in our settings?

Obed Boas Berg

Dan Keaton October 5th, 2009 06:38 AM

Dear Mr. Berg,

1. Do you have an HD-SDI monitor?

If so, you could connect the output of the XL H1 to the monitor and check for an image.

I would start with the XL H1s set to 1080i50 or 1080i60 (actually 59.94) mode.

2. Are you using a quality HD-SDI cable?

3. I would start without using embedded timecode. Just change to System|Trigger to "Record" for Record Button.

4. Does the Flash XDR say "No Src" at the bottom left. This stands for "No Source", and it indicates that we do not have a valid HD-SDI input at the moment.

What does it say on the bottom left of the status line? This is the line that is highlighted.

5. If you are using 1080i50 or 1080i59.94, then you will need to set "PSF In" to unchecked.

Once we get 1080i50 or 1080i59.94 working, we can advance to the progessive modes.

Obed Boas Berg October 5th, 2009 09:29 AM

Hello Dan,

Thanks for your reply.
I changed the system trigger to record and i unchecked the PSF IN option.
At this moment i'm able to record images to the XDR using the XDR Record and Stop keys.
I'm also able to watch the video on a monitor (PC).

Ca you give me some advise for the progessive modes.

Obed Boas Berg.

Dan Keaton October 5th, 2009 10:42 AM

Dear Mr. Berg,

Now, I recommend the following:

1. Change your camera to 24F or 30F.
Check the PSF In. While this is not necessary for 24F (as we do this automatically), it is ncessary for 30F. Then record by pressing the record button. You should see the framerate/format in the status line near the bottom of the screen.

2. Then ensure that your XL H1s is in Record Run timecode mode and ensure that your timecode is running when you record in camera. Then setup the Flash XDR for System|Timecode: Embedded.

Then see that the timecode is seen on Flash XDR in the upper left of the screen. It should match your XL H1s.

3. Then change the System|Trigger to Timecode.

Then, when you record, in camera, the timecode will roll and you should record in the Flash XDR. Please note that the timecode will not roll in the camera unless you have a tape in the camera. If the tape fills up, the timecode stop, and the Flash XDR stops recording.

Thus, this is fine for some, but for long event recording, starting the Flash XDR to record by pressing the record button is preferrable.