DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   EX1 and Nanoflash using IMX 50 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/465101-ex1-nanoflash-using-imx-50-a.html)

Darren Ruddock October 5th, 2009 11:30 AM

EX1 and Nanoflash using IMX 50

Just wondering what the quality is like on an SD DVD? Is it better than down-converted HD?

If anyone could send me and SD DVD using this codec I would happily pay postage!

Denis OKeefe October 5th, 2009 04:30 PM

50 IMX video

This isn't exactly what you asked for, but it may be of some help

CTCA mini clip 2.mov - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

The original video was shot on the EX1, and I played it out via SDI into the Nanoflash instead of converting it in Quicktime or FCP. I put it on a disk and send it away to an editor with an older Avid system.

IT looks very clean, if you have a chance to put it on DVD I'll be interested in hearing how it looks. If it isn't what your looking for, no worries - I just happened to have it at my fingertip when I saw your post.

Darren Ruddock October 6th, 2009 08:53 AM

Hi Denis,

Anything shot on an EX1 I'm interested in!

I love the idea of the Nanoflash but was wondering about how practical it is for my uses at the moment. Blu -Ray, in my area, is not widespread so most of our stuff is down-converted to SD via Compressor then authored via Encore or DVD Studio.

Someone pointed out to me that the IMX codec is a high end broadcast codec. So would love to have seen an SD Dvd produced with the Nanoflash using the IMX codec. Be great to see if it out performs our down-converted efforts, which are pretty good anyway.

I will burn it and see what it looks like. I will let you know! Be great if anyone else has anything shot using IMX from the Nanoflash?

Cheers

Rafael Amador October 6th, 2009 10:08 AM

Hi Darren,
I'm not shooting in SD, but I guess that the quality you can get with SD at 50Mbps is very high.
Think that HD 1920x1080 is 6 folds bigger than SD NTSC. To get the same compression rate you should make from the 1920x1080 an MPG-2 Long GOPs with 300Mbps.
Virtually uncompress.
Best,
rafael
PS: And in RT.

Lance Librandi October 7th, 2009 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis OKeefe (Post 1428193)
This isn't exactly what you asked for, but it may be of some help

CTCA mini clip 2.mov - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

The original video was shot on the EX1, and I played it out via SDI into the Nanoflash instead of converting it in Quicktime or FCP. I put it on a disk and send it away to an editor with an older Avid system.

IT looks very clean, if you have a chance to put it on DVD I'll be interested in hearing how it looks. If it isn't what your looking for, no worries - I just happened to have it at my fingertip when I saw your post.

Hello Denis I am also in a similar situation and I have a need to output to DVD for distribution. I have had a look at your file as well very nice clean images. I have recently purchased the EX3 and the NanoFlash . May I ask you what camera setting you used for recording as my edges from the EX3 are not as clean as yours. I have been using 1080i/50 and disappointed with the edges. I know that it is going to be my settings, I am in the process of recommissioning my SD camera a Sony DXC D35WSP with a DVcam DSR-1P recording to the NanoFlash which produces great images far better than off DVcam Tape until I can sort out the EX3 settings. In may work I do a lot tracking dancers across the stage.
Thanks

Denis OKeefe October 7th, 2009 07:20 PM

Hello Lance,
The footage was shot 1080 30P which probably explains the cleaner edges. I hope to get some time to try this on a dvd, I am impressed with the SD coming of the Nanoflash. I'll have to look around a bit, or perhaps someone will jump in here but I thing the Nano will handle formats that will write directly to DVDs. SO maybe you could play out of the sdi, convert and record onto the Nano, then send it to the DVD.

Lance Librandi October 7th, 2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis OKeefe (Post 1429293)
Hello Lance,
The footage was shot 1080 30P which probably explains the cleaner edges. I hope to get some time to try this on a dvd, I am impressed with the SD coming of the Nanoflash. I'll have to look around a bit, or perhaps someone will jump in here but I thing the Nano will handle formats that will write directly to DVDs. SO maybe you could play out of the sdi, convert and record onto the Nano, then send it to the DVD.

Hi Dennis,
Your are right the NanoFlash will handle MPG,M2V formats, I intend to try MPG as soon as my Mac Pro 8 core & Blackmagic Design DeckLink HD Extreme 3 arrives which I belive will be next week. I will try burning you file to DVD and have a look at it on my Sony monitor. I was actually advised to shoot 1080i/50 and stay away from 1080/25p as it will not to suite Australian television standard. I will let you know what your file looks like once I free up my gear from the current job.
Thanks

Lance Librandi October 8th, 2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis OKeefe (Post 1429293)
Hello Lance,

Hi Denis,
I have just created a DVD using your clip, playing back for a Teac combo VHS/DVD player to my Sony monitor and it looks very good. The only issue that I see is the ringing caused by the pattern on the speakers shirt which much more exaggerated on DVD output.