New XDR / nanoFlash Firmware at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 8th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Convergent Design

New XDR / nanoFlash Firmware

The updated nanoFlash / Flash XDR firmware is being posted tomorrow morning (pending documentation updates) to the Convergent Design website. Here's a synopsis of the features:

New Features
1. Time Lapse Recording: I-Frame only mode, 1 frame/HH:MM:SS
2. E to E Direct, provide 1080psf output during record and zero delay through the nanoFlash
3. Loop Play option: All/None; None option plays through all files on the card and then stops, very useful for dubbing to tape.
4. Record Ready indicator added to LCD menu
5. Option to leave LCD backlight on constantly
6. 2X Fast-Forward for QT/MXF files (by holding down the Play button for 5 seconds).
7. Option to hit record button (while recording) to create a new file
8. Expanded PreRecord buffer to 7 seconds (for bit-rates of 100Mbps and lower)
9. Added check for slow CF cards (buffer overflow). Error message will be displayed and the recording will restart at next lower bit-rate.
10. Added check for A/V sync errors. If detected and not in record mode, nanoFlash will automatically restart to correct problem.
11. Added SD support for HDMI recording.

Corrections/Bug Fixes
1. Fixed some major issues with the MPG files format.
2. Corrected SDI-out audio CRC errors that occurred during playback
3. Fixed various CF card DMA Read and Write errors.
4. Fixed 220Mbps Time-Code
5. Deleted M2V file format as unnecessary and 50Mbps selection for MPG (unsupported by any DVD or Blu-Ray player).
6. Fixed random shut-down and random display of LCD backlight.
7. Deleted audio level meter during playback (will add back in future firmware, when fixed)
8. Fixed the time-code when using 3:2 pulldown removal.

Important notes on Time-Lapse
Always use a solid, reliable power source when opearating in time-lapse mode. Due to the nature of the recording, if a power failure occurs during time-lapse recording, then you may lose a considerable amount of footage! So, make sure the battery is well charged or you have a UPS attached to the AC power.

We recommend that you record at 220 Mbps I-Frame only for maximum quality. You can use the 133X CF cards in Time-Lapse recording, but smooth playback directly out of the nano/XDR can not be guaranteed. The footage, however, will work fine in your NLE (note Sony Vegas does not support our I-Frame only CODEC and cannot be used with Time-Lapse).

Known Issues / Current Limitations
1) A/V Sync when using tape based cameras. We have included a possible fix in the current firmware, but have not received confimation from customers with A/V sync problems.
2) SD playback out SDI or HDMI is not functional at this time.
3) Audio Level Meters on Playback are not functional.
4) SanDisk Extreme III CF cards are limited to 140 Mbps, while SanDisk Extreme cards are limited to 160 Mbps. These limits will be opened to 160 and 220 Mbps respectively on the next firmware release (following the pending release).
5) The analog audio out (for monitoring) is out of sync by 4-5 frames when the audio-in source is embedded.

Best-
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Trustee

Known Issue with XL H1 24 F

Hi Mike:
Can you confirm if the Canon 24 F not being recognized and then properly recorded by the Flash XDR has been fixed yet in this release ???
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
Hi Mike:
Can you confirm if the Canon 24 F not being recognized and then properly recorded by the Flash XDR has been fixed yet in this release ???
Hi Mark-
You need the new Flash XDR firmware (to be posted tomorrow) to take full advantage of the Canon 24F mode. You should enable the 3:2 pull-down removal to take out the extra frames, as the output from the Canon is 1080i60, when operating in 24F mode.

Best-
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Trustee

Confused ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Mark-
You need the new Flash XDR firmware (to be posted tomorrow) to take full advantage of the Canon 24F mode. You should enable the 3:2 pull-down removal to take out the extra frames, as the output from the Canon is 1080i60, when operating in 24F mode.

Best-
...OK. This is the direct opposite I was told by Dan Keaton. Dan had mentioned there is a problem with the XDR *not* detecting the 24 F from the XL H1. He said if I check the PsF box, then I would have *artifacts* in my recorded video, which I did have when I had that box checked. Where do I enable 3:2 pull down removeal ? Is this setting different than the PsF check box ? I'm quite confused about this.
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Convergent Design

Quote:
...OK. This is the direct opposite I was told by Dan Keaton. Dan had mentioned there is a problem with the XDR *not* detecting the 24 F from the XL H1. He said if I check the PsF box, then I would have *artifacts* in my recorded video, which I did have when I had that box checked. Where do I enable 3:2 pull down removeal ? Is this setting different than the PsF check box ? I'm quite confused about this.
Hi Mark-
Ok, this can be confusing. On the Canon XL-H1 when operating in 24F mode, the HD-SDI output is 1080i60 with the pull-downs added. So, in the video menu on the XDR/nano, you need to uncheck the PSF-IN and check the 3:2 Pulldown removal. The extra frames/fields will be discarded and the video will be recorded as 24p.

If, on the other hand, you are shooting in 25F or 30F mode, the HD-SDI output is 1080psf25 or 1080psf30, respectively. In this case, you want to check the PSF-IN and uncheck the 3:2 pulldown removal (basically the opposite of 24F mode). With PSF-In checked, the incoming video will be processed as a true progressive frame (25p or 30p). If you forget to check the PSF-IN, then the video will be processed as 1080i50 or 1080i60.

Best-
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Hi Mark-
Ok, this can be confusing....So, in the video menu on the XDR/nano, you need to uncheck the PSF-IN and check the 3:2 Pulldown removal. The extra frames/fields will be discarded and the video will be recorded as 24p......

Best-
....OK. Your explanation made sense, but here's where it gets fuzzy for yours truly. I know and can see where the check box for PsF is, but where's the setting for 3:2 pull down removal ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #7
Convergent Design

Quote:
....OK. Your explanation made sense, but here's where it gets fuzzy for yours truly. I know and can see where the check box for PsF is, but where's the setting for 3:2 pull down removal ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Hi Mark-
From a post earlier today: "You need the new Flash XDR firmware (to be posted tomorrow) to take full advantage of the Canon 24F mode."

The new firmware will have the 3:2 pull-down removal.

Cheers-
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Hi Mark-
From a post earlier today: "You need the new Flash XDR firmware (to be posted tomorrow) to take full advantage of the Canon 24F mode."

The new firmware will have the 3:2 pull-down removal.

Cheers-
....OK. Understood. Thank you for the clarification. I can't find this adjustment because it doesn't exist yet ;-) I will be sure to download the new firmware update tomorrow.
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Major Player

Successfully updated my demo Nano to the new firmware.

Looking forward to trying time lapse!

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #10
Trustee

Flash XDR Updates Performed

Hi Dan & Mike:
I have successfully performed both updates to arrive at the final current firmware ver 1.1.63 . The update was smooth and easy to do actually. I should add it was a very scary experience, with ominous warnings to have a good power source and not to unplug update card or power down unit (Common sense things you shouldn't ever be doing unless program update tells you to). Plus the warning that your unit will become inoperable should you lose power in the middle of actually performing an update. - This was tight sphincter time boys ;-) I congratulate the CD engineers for making the unit basicly update itself with almost no user intervention. I couldn't manage to break it so it must be good :-)

....My stress levels were rewarded with seeing wonderful new features in the menus - like Timelapse and 3:2 pulldown removal :-) Sweet ! Now I hope XDR will see Canon 24 F in 1080 60 i stream. :-) (??) I can't wait to get out there over this holiday weekend and try out the timelapse feature !
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #11
Regular Crew

HDMI pulldown

Hi every one,

I was very disappointed there was no HDMI pulldown in this update.

Is there any estimate on when this will be added.
Rob Dommermuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #12
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dommermuth View Post
Hi every one,

I was very disappointed there was no HDMI pulldown in this update.

Is there any estimate on when this will be added.
Hi Rob-
We will try to get HDMI Pull-down removal in the next release, due in 2-3 weeks.

Best-
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the RE. looking forward to this upgrade.
Rob Dommermuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #14
Major Player

Hi Mike & Dan,
I have upgraded my Nano to the new firmware no problems work well just trying out the time lapse now. I get my new Mac Pro 8 core with Decklink HD Extreme this week and the Mac comes with "Snow Leopard" installed. While researching for known issues with "Snow Leopard", I found an old post regarding CF cards been damaged during the eject process from the USB readers. Is this still a problem and is the Lexar firewire readers also effected or has this issue been resolved by the updated firmware.
Thanks
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

We do not know if the CompactFlash card voltage problems, which first surfaced with Leopard, have been resolved or not.

Since the problem is with Apple's Operating System, it is independent of our firmware release. We do not cause the problem that has occurred with Leopard.

We certainly hope that Snow Leopard has resolved this issue, but we do not have enough information at this time.

Note: The problem with Leopard occurred with both USB and Firewire card readers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey