Suggestion: dual balanced audio inputs THREADED at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 13th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Suggestion: dual balanced audio inputs THREADED

This may have been suggested before but looking at the pix in the new manual at the single 3.5 mm consumer level audio imput gave me heartburn.

Surely on a 3000 dollar piece of equipment CD could use a threaded jack so the signal doesn't get interrupted by jiggling wires that will ultimately compromise the physical integrity of the jack itself. Also, in these days of high quality stereo mics two balanced inputs would be more appropriate than just one.

David
AllinOneFilms.com
David Cherniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi David:
FYI, the Flash XDR gives you precisely this solution. but it's more money.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It's also a much larger piece of equipment. Nothing I would consider.
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Convergent Design

Hi David-
We agree. Threaded audio jacks would be preferred as well as dual balanced inputs.

We added the analog audio as a last minute update after NAB. So, we did our best in the limited time to meet our production schedule.

One immediate workaround would be to tie wrap the audio cable to the HD/SD-SDI cable. I realize this is not ideal, but one it's one possible solution.

Best-
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Mike,

Good to hear that locking jacks are contemplated for the future. Shouldn't be too hard to replace the one that's there. Making room for a second may be a bit of a squeeze, though.

If one is using the unlocked HDMI inputs it might not be such a good idea to tie wrap/Velcro wrap to it.

David
AllinOneFilms.com
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Major Player

When looking at which recorder to buy, I considered both XDR and nano Flash. I too was not happy with the size of the XDR. I considered not only the audio connectors but the quality, flexibility and capability of the audio as well. Because of this, I could not consider the nano Flash.

The XDR has "no compromise" audio all around, and that's ONE of the reasons I went with the XDR.

The XDR is actually smaller than I thought it would be, it's not "big" at all. It balances my rig out perfectly for shoulder shooting. Couldn't be happier with it.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #7
Trustee

Hi David:
The audio quality of the XDR is amazingly good. The XDR holds Four CF cards too, so there's more recording time possible. The XDR has an RS-422 and HDV interface, so its future as a VTR replacement that bridges the gap between VTR capture and file based import looks quite promissing.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Guys, I have no doubts as to the advantages of the XDR. Size, however, is paramount for me.
I can't consider it.

David
AllinOneFilms.com
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear David,

The nanoFlash can accept stereo unbalanced consumer line-level inputs.

What is not immediately obvious, is that the nanoFlash can take the "Tape Out" of most mixers, using a simple low cost audio cable. This "Tape Out" is typically, stereo unbalanced, consumer line-level, output.

By using a mixer, one can use the phantom power capabilities of the mixer and, depending on the mixer, the world class microphone preamplifiers. Thus, multiple world class balanced microphones can be feed into the mixer first, then the "Tape Out" feeds the nanoFlash.

The preamps in the nanoFlash are good, but not as good as the world class preamps in the Flash XDR or a great external mixer.

The nanoFlash records 24-bit audio and works very well when feed a "Tape Out" signal.

Please note that it may be desirable to attenuate the "Tape Out" signal. We recommend testing of the mixer and nanoFlash setup.

From my Sound Devices 744t or 302, I prefer to attenuate the "Tape Out" signal some to achieve the best results.
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks, Dan.

The Sound Devices 744 is one of the nicest engineered pieces of gear I've ever come across. I used one to record double system on a documentary in Northern India. However double system does add some annoying extra steps in post.

I've been seriously thinking of picking up a small camera - either a SLR or a something like a Pany HMC40 to go with a Nanoflash to do some inobtrusive shooting. That would mean going into the Nano via HDMI and using the remote switch for stop/start. If I go with the HMC40 it does have an XLR option. If I go with a SLR it means going from a decent stereo mic into the 3.5mm unbalanced. With an RF receiver and the Nano I don't want to add another item like a mixer to the setup.

David
AllinOneFilms.com
David Cherniack is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey