View Flash XDR Time Lapse Sequences Here - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 28th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #31
Trustee

XDR Time Lapse Settings

Hi John:
Thank you for the kind words :-)

The XDR Time Lapse menu settings are as follows..........

Video>Codec set to I-Frame>Scroll down to T-Lapse and put check in box>Set interval time,

You should see a Flashing "Time-Lapse" indication. I would also go into the System>Trigger set to Record button.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #32
Major Player

Hi Mark. I do not think you need to set the I-Frame or bitrate when doing time lapse. If I recall correctly, in order to do timelapse, you only need to put the check mark in the time lapse box and also set the time interval.

The I-Frame and 220Mb/s bitrate should be chosen automatically while time lapse is active.

When you uncheck the time lapse, the codec and bitrate settings should got back to what they were before you enabled time lapse. I can check this within the next couple of days to be sure.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #33
Trustee

Hi Aaron:
Yes, I believe this is correct. I didn't list these settings to John because they are taken care of automatically once you inable the check in the time lapse box.
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

At this time, I am not certain as to whether you need to set the bit rate or not.

(I think you do.)

I know that you do not need to set "I-Frame Only" as we force this internally.

I thought that we allowed you full control over the Bit-Rate so you could match this up with your card speed.

For example, a SanDisk Extreme III card can not playback 220 Mbps, but, in Time-Lapse, one can record to the same card in 220 I-Frame Only, since we do not write more than 1 frame a second.

But, playback would be at the 220 Mbps full speed and the card could not keep up.

In think we want you to set the Bit-Rate so you could choose a bit-rate that was approrpriate for playing back from the nanoFlash, if desired.
Old November 5th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #35
Trustee

More Time Lapse Clips & Behind the Scenes Action On Location in Montreal

Hi friends:
Please see the new clips I shot last weekend in Lower Mount Royal Park Test
Old November 6th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

Thanks for posting.

I see that you are shooting one frame every two seconds.

I suggest you try 1 frame a second for one of your tests.
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #37
Trustee

Time Lapse Interval Settings

Hi Dan:
As you can see from the three newest shots I have posted, the 1 frame every 2 seconds works well for the statue, but is still too fast for the Tam, Tam people. I will keep shooting there. (Dangerous location) - I think they already pick pocketed me and stole my old cell phone ! This group is made up of very itinerate musicians and homeless folks. One guy tried to unplug my XDR while rolling. The ganja and pot smoke was so dense one was loose and giggling endlessly within half an hour. I have to go back there to get the really wide andle long shots, but I will be much farther away from these folks, so it should be OK.
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Mark,

Thanks for posting.

I see that you are shooting one frame every two seconds.

I suggest you try 1 frame a second for one of your tests.
...If you folks want to use any of my shots from the timelapse I'm now shooting, then let me know in an email. All I ask is that you credit the source footage. In this case it is from the Internet Tv Series Please Stand By Epiode 2. I will be posting more shots this week.
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #39
Trustee

More Time Lapse Clips to Check Out

Hi friends:
Here's some more wind swept time lapse. I steadied the second shot in Avid MC but the first shot isn't steadied yet and will be when it's cut into Ep 2 if we decide to use that clip. I need to change my Anton-Bauer Battery setup, since the Elipse battery is mounted between the tripod steel mounting plate and the camera. This is no good for tripod work, since there is too much play in the plastic mount for the camera on top of the Elipse battery. I don't know why they chose to use plastic in the quickmount slug which screws into the camera base. Plastic isn't as demensionably stable as metal. This setup works perfectly for hand held shooting however. Click onTest
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #40
Trustee

Strange Time Lapse

Hi friends:
Here's another final timelapse I shot in lower Mount Royal Park this past Wednesday (Although I incorrectly ascribed it's shooting date to the first week of November in my on camera commentary). The specs in the clips are actually birds flying by and some tops of heads. I will digitally paint these out in After Effects later. However, there's something really strange about what I actually recorded frame by frame here. You cannot see it in this windows media video realtime playback, but if you go back and fourth in slow motion, then you can clearly see what looks like 2 flying white rods (Possibly a meteor passing in or out of the atmosphere over Montreal at the time ?).

I know these are not aircraft, because they are not in the correct approach or departure side of the mountain. All aircraft approach Montreal to land in the West Island either from the Southwest over Vermont State, or North West of the city and make a Right turn to approach overr East Montreal passing by the Right (North side of Mount Royal), so what is this ?? I am making a slow mo version of this clip now so you can see for yourself. I will post it later. Watch the time lapse clips and commentary by clicking on Test
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #41
Trustee

Let's Take A Closer at the Proceeding Clip

Hi Friends. Please check out the Test to see a slowed down version of one of two time lapse sequences I took on Wednesday Afternoon in Montreal. Notice the white rod streaks going first West, then proceeding East on the Left hand (South) side of Mount Royal.

.....I wonder about how the Flash XDR and Nano Flash take the single frame ? Does the SSDR "clock" the CCD in the camera, or is it programmed to take each frame at a specific shutter speed irregardless of what you set the camera shutter speed to ? I was using a fairly high shutter speed(Circa 380th of a second ?), so if the settings on the camera do matter, then whatever this was had a very high velocity, because it looks blurred or streaked. Windows Media doesn't help much here because it smoothes over everything, which further clouds the image clarity even at high data rates (2Mbps Encode rate used here)
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Isn't that a jet, and the "streaking" is the contrail forming then evaporating?
Mike Sertic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

The Flash XDR and nanoFlash do not control the camera.

We take the output of the camera.

Thus, the exposure is set by you or the camera, not by us.

We take the images from the camera exactly as the camera sends them to us. We do not do any frame blending or have any control over the exposure.
Old November 13th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #44
Trustee

Camera Settings Count

Hi Dan:
OK. Thanks for the confirmation that camera controls the show :-)
Old November 13th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #45
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sertic View Post
Isn't that a jet, and the "streaking" is the contrail forming then evaporating?
...Hi Mike: Yes, it's possible it is indeed a jet. However, if it is, then it's one flying an approach toward Montreal which is outside the usual flight corridors for Montreal approach. I suppose it could be a fighter jet out of Baggotville, Quebec Canadian Air Force Base, or a US Air Force f-18 out of Burlington, Vermont. The US Air Force used to fly up out of Burlington and sonic boom us regularly. There used to be a joke about that in Montreal - whenever we heard the sonic booms Montrealers would look up and say, "The American are coming ! The American are coming !" I don't think the US Air Force still flies over us. Who knows ?
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey