DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Next XDR/nano Firmware Release Preview (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/466341-next-xdr-nano-firmware-release-preview.html)

Mike Schell October 23rd, 2009 01:58 PM

Next XDR/nano Firmware Release Preview

Here's a quick summary of the major features and fixes we have planned for the new firmware release (scheduled sometime in the next 2-3 weeks):

1) 10-40% improvement in CF card write speeds (most cards will bump up one notch in bit-rate performance)
2) New MXF file format to support XDCAM Optical media and drives
3) Add 18 Mbps rate to QT/MXF for proxy recording
4) Add Record Duration time: HH:MM:SS (great for time lapse)
5) Add LTC Jam-Sync
6) Add pull-down removal on HDMI
7) Add 2Master mode: create two identical CF cards during record: one for director/one for editor or maybe one for editor and one for safe keeping, etc.
8) Add 4X fast-forward (and possibly 6x)
9) Correct audio latency on headphone output (when audio is embedded)
10) Correct HDMI color levels, SD-SDI locking issues
11) Qualify Photofast 32/64GB CF cards
12) Fix A/V sync issues on some tape-based cameras

Naturally, this will take a considerable amount of time to test and re-test, so the exact release date is a little tenuous at this point.

Best-

David Issko October 23rd, 2009 02:09 PM

Thanks Mike,

So good to see you and your brilliant team keep on developing the nano/XDR.

Any news as to when hot swapping of cards might be implemented? Although with the new 64Gb cards, it might be a rarity. Still, a good thing to have, especially if you have to offload the clips urgently.

Godfrey Kirby October 23rd, 2009 02:38 PM

Convergent Design = C.D.= CAN DO... Just a thought

Mike Schell October 23rd, 2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godfrey Kirby (Post 1436942)
Convergent Design = C.D.= CAN DO... Just a thought

Hi Godfrey-
I like it...actually I like it a lot!

Cheers-

Mike Schell October 23rd, 2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Issko (Post 1436932)
Thanks Mike,

So good to see you and your brilliant team keep on developing the nano/XDR.

Any news as to when hot swapping of cards might be implemented? Although with the new 64Gb cards, it might be a rarity. Still, a good thing to have, especially if you have to offload the clips urgently.

Hi David-
Hot swap is still on the list, but, as you suggested, it has moved out a bit due to the availability of the 64Gb CF cards.

After this next release, we plan to add over/undercrank and a complete revamp of the user menu with the addition of user profiles that can be defined on a PC/MAC and uploaded into the nano/XDR. So you can set a profile for nature shoots, time-lapse, TV production, etc and upload into the box for instant recall. We will also be adding metadata support. You will be able to lock any menu item from changes.

Best-

Billy Steinberg October 23rd, 2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Issko (Post 1436932)
[snip...] Any news as to when hot swapping of cards might be implemented? Although with the new 64Gb cards, it might be a rarity. Still, a good thing to have, especially if you have to offload the clips urgently.

I'm relieved to see someone besides me asked first this month. :)

Mike: Some of us have different uses for the nano than others. I regularly shoot shows that are hours long. I do have some comprehension of what's involved in a hot swapping update, though I don't know if it's the interface change that's holding you up or if it goes deeper than just requiring (nano) pre-formatted and qualified cards to be used when hot swapping. Maybe the nano just doesn't have time to mount the new card and pre-read its directory without dropping frames in the other card?

Any hope for a little more of your insight as to what the story is (and a realistic guess about availability)?

Billy

ps My grousing not withstanding, excellent job with this months updates!

Ed David October 23rd, 2009 03:52 PM

This will be extremely helpful. especially the mxf support for when you record as mxf and then discover the client will want to edit on final cut pro

Mike Schell October 23rd, 2009 04:35 PM

Hot Swap on nano/XDR

Hi David, Billy-
OK, I get the message. Hot swap has been delayed due to lack of engineering resources (we have been a little busy lately). I'll speak to our engineers and ask if we can make this part of the early December release.

Best-

Daniel Symmes October 23rd, 2009 04:39 PM

God Bless America.

Customer service isn't dead.

Mark Job October 23rd, 2009 04:46 PM

Hurray for More Fixes & Features ! :-)

Hi Mike:
I thank you for being committed to continued updates full of fixes and new features :-) ! BTW, is it too late to get the file size ratio adjustment for time lapse sequences into this upcoming release ? Are there any updates or fixes which are specific to the XDR in this upcoming release Mike ?

Aaron Newsome October 23rd, 2009 04:56 PM

My audio meters on XDR are feeling neglected.

Mark Job October 23rd, 2009 05:00 PM

XDR Audio Meters

Hi Aaron:
I wasn't aware there was a problem with the meters. (??) I noticed my meters were functional during my sit down interview shoots. What was CD supposed to fix there ?

Aaron Newsome October 23rd, 2009 05:07 PM

Hi Mark. The meters are stop n go. Every few moments they drop to zero, even with constant sound. Unless they fixed it in a previous update and I missed it.

Mohammad Farooqi October 23rd, 2009 06:24 PM

Last clip delete

All the updates sound great, however, I personally would like to see the "Last Clip Delete" feature introduced into the XDR/Nano ASAP. Saves a hell of a lot of space for long run and gun shoots and logging afterwards. Any idea of when this feature will become available?

Thanks

Dan Keaton October 23rd, 2009 06:31 PM

Dear Friends,

On Playback, our audio level meters, in playback, would drop to zero frequently, then resume.

We initially thought it was best to disable them, in playback, until we could devote the time to fixing the problem.