DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Combining many nano clips (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/466405-combining-many-nano-clips.html)

Billy Steinberg October 24th, 2009 09:21 PM

Combining many nano clips

What's the best way to turn a whole bunch of 3.5GB nano files into one file.

QT .mov 100Mb/s long-GOP nano files transfered from a nexto to a MacPro's (OSX 10.6.1) attached fast drive(s) with filesystems that can handle huge files. I don't want to edit anything, I just want turn all the little files into a bigger file. I have FCP7, CS4, and pretty much anything I need. A lossless combining of course, no re-encoding; the fastest, easiest mindless method. (I know I can't just concatenate the files in UNIX due to the container headers, etc).

I can load them all into FC7, and output a single file, but is that the only way? (And I don't want a reference QT movie).

Thanks!

Billy

Aaron Newsome October 25th, 2009 09:56 AM

cat *.mov > large_file.mov

seems to work but I'd need to do more testing to be sure. FCP can also do this without re-encoding. Let me see if I can remember how. I have no need to do this so I can't remember exactly..

Aaron Newsome October 25th, 2009 10:11 AM

I just tested with mpegstreamclip too. It works just as well as cat does from the command line, but you also get a nifty progress bar to stare at. cat gives you no progress.

just select all the files in finder, right click, choose open with mpegstreamclip. save as new big file.

Aaron Newsome October 25th, 2009 10:15 AM

Also if you are doing cat, I would probably recommend only concatenating clips from a single continuous shot. I think if you combine clips from multiple shots, the GOP pattern might be interrupted since the the run out on the last clip of one shot won't match the beginning of the pattern on the new shot. This is that testing I talked about.

Daniel Symmes October 25th, 2009 10:18 AM

Now if only there was a PC method...

Aaron Newsome October 25th, 2009 11:04 AM

PC's don't have cat? That's just crazy to me. It's like the most basic command line utility of any platform.

Aaron Newsome October 25th, 2009 11:07 AM

looks like copy can do the same thing as cat.

copy /B file1.mov+file2.mov+file3.mov large_file.mov

/B is for binary.

someone should test it.

Mike Schell October 25th, 2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Newsome (Post 1437603)
Also if you are doing cat, I would probably recommend only concatenating clips from a single continuous shot. I think if you combine clips from multiple shots, the GOP pattern might be interrupted since the the run out on the last clip of one shot won't match the beginning of the pattern on the new shot. This is that testing I talked about.

Hi Aaron-
We use a closed GOP structure on the XDR/nano, so I can't imagine any problems contatenating any clips together, even from different shots. Also our files always end on a GOP boundary, so no issues butting files together.

Best-

Aaron Newsome October 25th, 2009 12:27 PM

Ok, since Mike cleared up the GOP pattern issue, I see no problem at all with concatenating files (regardless of OS).

Can anyone else see a problem with this? I've done about a dozen tests this morning and I can't find any issue with it.

It's cheap (free), requires no re-encode, and works on any platform.

Daniel Symmes October 25th, 2009 04:38 PM

This thread is very interesting, since the "subfiles" that may accompany a clip are clumsy at best, error prone for sure.

I'm looking into this little app:

Peretek, Inc. - Simple File Joiner

The key is to make it idiot proof. Shouldn't need to enter the file name(s) since that would introduce a great error potential.

If this utility doesn't work, I might have to break out my Visual Basic kit.

Combining sems to work for QT files. What about MFX?

Daniel Symmes October 25th, 2009 06:22 PM

And as it seems QT can be combined, is this true for MXF?

Combining is an issue for me as I know most editors won't like the "sub clips."

And right now, QuickTime from the nanoFLASH for PC consumption ain't happening. So MXF, which is a wrapper...might not like being combined.

Aaron Newsome October 25th, 2009 08:19 PM

If you don't like entering the file names, use automator to make a droplet on your desktop. Just select all the files and drop it on the droplet and a few moments later a joined file will be made.

Daniel Symmes October 25th, 2009 08:34 PM

Ummm. Let me hazard... you're talking mac, I believe.

Aaron Newsome October 25th, 2009 08:35 PM

Yes, automating something like this is easy as pie on a mac. No scripting needed, drag and drop simplicity.

Rafael Amador October 25th, 2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Steinberg (Post 1437458)
What's the best way to turn a whole bunch of 3.5GB nano files into one file.
I just want turn all the little files into a bigger file. I have FCP7, CS4, and pretty much anything I need.
Billy

Just drop your clips in a conformed sequence and with "Two Mono channels" and export without re-compress.
In case there is any GOP to be rebuild (cuts) will be at 50Mbps, but only these GPOs.
rafael