What’s included with the nanoFlash? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 26th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Major Player

What’s included with the nanoFlash?

I am just about to order a nanoFlash and wondered what came in the box. I know I’ll have to order a 4-Pin Hirose to D-Tap Cable but does it come with the relevant HD-SDI Cable to connect it to my EX-3? I can’t seem to find this out on the CD website. Thanks in advance.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

The nanoFlash ships with an AC (mains) power supply, a USB CompactFlash card reader, a short USB extension cable, and CD with the manual.

The accessories are optional:

Hotshoe Ball Mount

HD-SDI cables

D-Tap (P-Tap) power cable

4-Pin XLR power cable

HDMI cable, Type C (mini) to Type A (large) 3 foot, 1 meter

HDMI cable, Type C (mini) to Type A (large) 6 foot, 2 meter

Swit Battery (great for use with the Sony EX1/EX3, requires D-Tap cable)

Remote Control

Remote Control with Timecode Input

TimeCode Input cable (no remote control)

And many other accessories.
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the speedy reply! Just what I needed to know. I am ordering everything today.
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #4
New Boot

D-Tap Cable

I ordered my NanoFlash today and was amazed that the cost of the small d-tap cable was £75 plus 15% tax.
That is $120 plus tax ..... do you not think that you are overpricing this a bit!!!?
Paul Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

I will look into this today.

The Anton Bauer D-Tap connector, which we buy directly from Anton Bauer due to their high quality standards, is rather expensive.

The Hirose Connector is also expensive.

Building the cable is rather tedious.

Then you have the shipping, import duties and taxes.

I was surprised to learn that it was 75 pounds. I will look into it today.
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #6
New Boot

Thank you for the response.

I am also confused on what CF cards to use.
I have read the latest manual and thought i would go for a couple of Sandisk 32gb cards but these state on the card 30 Mb/s whilst your manual states for speeds up to 140 Mbps???

The Sandisk I am looking at is here:-
Sandisk 32GB Extreme III 30MBS Compact Flash CF Card: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #7
New Boot

Just an update.
My dealer who is actually charged £72 for the cable has obtained supply from his regular cable supplier that he can make a better profit on and sell at £30. So my problem is solved but you should still look into your pricing on this item.
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Burgess View Post
Thank you for the response.

I am also confused on what CF cards to use.
I have read the latest manual and thought i would go for a couple of Sandisk 32gb cards but these state on the card 30 Mb/s whilst your manual states for speeds up to 140 Mbps???

The Sandisk I am looking at is here:-
Sandisk 32GB Extreme III 30MBS Compact Flash CF Card: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
Dear Paul,

The SanDisk Extreme III 32 GB card is rated at 30 Megabytes per second (30 MBps)

We currently support this card at bit rates up to 140 Megabits per second (140 Mbps) or 17.5 Megabytes per second.

With our next release we expect to support 160 Megabits per second with this card.

Note: certain dealers have rebates on this card.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #9
New Boot

Thank you Dan
A dealer today told me the card was being discontinued but there are still a lot around.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

We do not know if the SanDisk Extreme III card is being discontinued or not. This card has a rebate from certain dealers.

We do know that the SanDisk Extreme (no III, IV, etc.) is a newer card, but is much more expensive.
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #11
Major Player

I was quoted £89.00 + VAT for each the D-Tap and XLR Cable. £39.00 + VAT for the Hot-Shoe Ball Head. With the nanoFlash at £2399.00 + VAT. The cables are really expensive (I ended up paying £80 + VAT for my cables).

Oh, well I must admit I am still looking forward to recieving my nanoFlash and accessories next week!
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

Please be advised that our wiring is Pin-1 = Positive, Pin-4 = Ground.

If you have a custom cable, then it should be wired as noted above.

If you purchased a standard, off the shelf cable, it would normally be wired Pin-1 = Ground, Pin-4 = Positive.

While this seems strange, this is the way that Toshiba, for their POV cameras wired their units. Their Power Supplies, cables and connectors look just like ours, so we felt that they could be easily connected to our device on set.
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #13
New Boot

Thanks for letting us know.
I am having a custom cable made at a cost of £30 for a one off and will make sure it is wired as above.
This £30 is high because its a one off cable but at that price the dealer makes a proper profit not the £3 out of £75 that your cable cost.
Its seems you have a fine product and are a good company but this cable pricing leaves a lot to be desired and is simply rip off that I have refused to pay.
The £89 the other Paul was quoted is even worse or are high prices only applied to 'Pauls' :-)
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Dear Paul and Paul,

We do not set the dealer pricing for cables.

We use very high quality, original Anton Bauer D-Tap (P-Tap) connectors. These are expensive, but last a lifetime. We are not using cheaply made generic connectors.

The Hirose connector is also an expensive part.

Once one adds the cost of the cable, and the time for a skilled person to make these, by hand, and you add shipping, customs duties etc. the cost adds up.

Please feel free to use whatever cable you desire.

We are at a disadvantage in that once the cables are built, we have to ship them to our distributor in the United Kingdom, then they have to be shipped to your dealer.

If your cable supplier is local, and already has the parts and cables in stock, then his costs may be less.

We are actively considering bundling certain cables and accessories with the nanoFlash to avoid these problems. We may bundle, or we may offer an accessory package.
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
We are actively considering bundling certain cables and accessories with the nanoFlash to avoid these problems. We may bundle, or we may offer an accessory package.
Adding a D-Tap and HD-SDI in the package at a set cost would probably be a good thing.

I heard that you are making a box for the nanoFlash to sit in between the V-Lock Battery and Bracket. Any lead time on that?
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey