Canon 1Ds Mark IV has 1080p live output at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 26th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 1Ds Mark IV has 1080p live output

I think that's what I read on a post elsewhere on the web. Don't know if I read this right but if this is the case, CD, what do you say - can you free the footage from the large lovely sensor from its h.264 demise?
Ed David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Ed,

The HDMI output of the Canon 1D Mark IV is intended for viewing, not recording.
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

The HDMI output on the 1D Mk. IV is identical to that of the 7D.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Major Player

The first full frame DSLR to do full raster HD, live over HDMI will be a game changer.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Trustee

The Magic Lantern Firmware Hack = Game Changer

Hi Aaron:

The magic lantern guy has an impressive firmware hack for the Canon 5D Mark II which allows full Raster HD output via the HDMI output, so there you go all you Nano users.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Ahhh, there's that phrase again. (game changer)

Seems to go hand and hand with all the new, different (?) DSLR's out there that happen to have a video mode.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Bob,

We have learned that the nanoFlash will record the output of the Canon 7D, but this does not mean that this is a great idea.

We would just love for these cameras to have a nice, full-frame, full resolution, high quality HDMI output so the nanoFlash could record the signal and everyone would be happy, especially us!

We love the magic that Trammell Hudson is doing. And we are encouraged by the news that we received yesterday that the nanoFlash will record the HDMI output of the Canon 7D.

But, all of this is tempered by the fact that the HDMI output was never designed for recording.

Since the Canon 7D and 5D Mark II are widely used, I would love for some of the users of these cameras to hook up to a quality HDMI monitor and evaluate the image critically.

We may be able to do our part, if others feel that the image quality meets their standards.
Old October 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #8
Inner Circle

My experience with with 5D, but I think it is close to 7D, with one exception. I think the 7D may keep the output at HD level ( the same as was being viewed before the recording starts. The 5D switches to 480i when recording starts. Magic Lantern is attempting to keep it in HD.

The HD output itself is approximately 4:3 PAR at 1080 tall. That should put the width around 1440. From that, I calculate the actual image in the 16 x 9 box at 810 x 1440- a far cry from 1080 x 1920.

Play back produces full screen 16 x9 1920 x1080. So if Tramm at Magic Lantern could get the camera fooled into think the live shot was file output, maybe it would work.
Old October 26th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
Hi Aaron:

The magic lantern guy has an impressive firmware hack for the Canon 5D Mark II which allows full Raster HD output via the HDMI output, so there you go all you Nano users.
My understanding of the magic lantern hack is that the HDMI output is not a full raster 1920x1080 signal.

And yes, I'm sticking with my "game changer" status. Heck, I'd say that these DSLR with video modes are ALREADY game changers with the crippled features they have today. Also, consider I'm talking about putting capabilities in young filmmaker's hands that were not possible a few years ago. I'm not talking about professional acquisition.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Newsome View Post
The first full frame DSLR to do full raster HD, live over HDMI will be a game changer.
I think that is a matter of licenses, royalties and so.
Those cameras can output whatever you want, but if they output or record any kind of standard video they will be fiscally treated as video cameras.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey