DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Guys Check This Out !: A Real MXF to QT Converter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/466573-guys-check-out-real-mxf-qt-converter.html)

Mark Job October 27th, 2009 09:57 AM

Guys Check This Out !: A Real MXF to QT Converter

Hi Friends:
I think this had to come sooner or later, and I'm happy to learn it has come sooner. This is a real MXF to QT converter ! OpenCube Technologies: XFConverter
I think this will come as useful for our workflow with the XDR. I assume it will work with the Nano as well.

Daniel Symmes October 27th, 2009 10:14 AM

Now, if only they could reveal cost and a method to buy!

Mark Job October 27th, 2009 10:25 AM

Cost & Method to Purchase

Hi Daniel:
I'm trying to work that out right now myself.

Alister Chapman October 27th, 2009 10:26 AM

The Calibrated-Q MXF import plugin for the Mac allows you to work with the native MXF files so no need to convert and the pricing is clear and simple. Calibrated{Q} MXF Import for OSX

Daniel Symmes October 27th, 2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Job (Post 1438560)
Hi Daniel:
I'm trying to work that out right now myself.

I sent a note as well.

Always good to have options.

Dan Keaton October 27th, 2009 11:39 AM

Dear Friends,

In a few weeks, or less, our MXF files will be compatible with Sony's Optical Disk format.

Then, you can use Sony's FCP Plug-In, free, and use our MXF files in Final Cut Pro.

Mark Job October 27th, 2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1438564)
The Calibrated-Q MXF import plugin for the Mac allows you to work with the native MXF files so no need to convert and the pricing is clear and simple. Calibrated{Q} MXF Import for OSX

...Hi Alister. We don't always have the freedom to work in FCP.

Mark Job October 27th, 2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1438590)
Dear Friends,

In a few weeks, or less, our MXF files will be compatible with Sony's Optical Disk format.

Then, you can use Sony's FCP Plug-In, free, and use our MXF files in Final Cut Pro.

...Hi Dan: Sometimes we need to unwrap from MXF to the extant codec contained inside so we can dump a QT or AVI file into our web encoder on the PC side. We can also create a project and do a video mix down in Avid MC then export as a QT Ref file into Sorensen Squeeze and encode this way, but this workflow takes up too much time and valuable disc space in our post workflow.

Daniel Symmes October 27th, 2009 02:14 PM

Like I said: choices.

For us poor outsiders choosing not to go FCP costs us in different ways.

There is yet to be a good solution for pro editing on the PC (using SDI monitoring).

Barry J. Weckesser October 27th, 2009 07:40 PM

"There is yet to be a good solution for pro editing on the PC (using SDI monitoring). "

Perhaps Grass Valley Edius doesn't have the name that some of the other NLE's have but it certainly is a good program - and has this: HDSPARK Pro
and this : HDTHUNDER

Daniel Symmes October 27th, 2009 08:00 PM

I have EDIUS (software) JUST because ONE client has it and is STILL tearing his hair out.

We are a nation of choice, which I favor, but that also introduces the concept of a playing field that isn't level.

I have a 2K AJA system, working under Adobe products and Fusion. Great with pro formats. But throw in the still-evolving compression codecs and one waits for the next major release of software to catch up.

I've been working nearly exclusively with QuickTime (or DPX sequences) for over 10 years and that's fine.

Sadly, it doesn't work in this situation.

It just might turn out that I'll simply play out from the nanoFLASH and capture in a working version of QT. Then we can get back to film making.

Lastly, it strikes me as backward that I'm supposed to adapt to my hardware/software.

Daniel Symmes October 28th, 2009 09:32 AM

Mark, I have STARTLING news about your find.

They replied to my price request:

==========================================

XFConverter has been designed to run on a server to unwrap/rewrap files such as MXF, QT, AVI or GXF automatically thanks to an efficient watch folder process.

Prices start at 1 990,00 US Dollars and goes up to 4 590,00 US Dollars. It’s not the kind of product we would sell on a web store.

==========================================

I suggest it's something they don't sell!

Mark Job October 29th, 2009 08:02 AM

Quality versus Price

Hi Daniel:
Yup. These folks in France responded to me too, and the price quote made me laugh for about 20 minutes :-) They also sent me a free 30 day trial, so I'm installing it today and testing it out. I want to see what a "1 990,00 US Dollars and goes up to 4 590,00 US Dollars" looks like and operates like ;-) _Sort of a morbid curiosity at this point. Of course, people in Europe do *not* have a *consumer mentality,* where *price is King.* The folks in Europe have a *Quality mentality,* where they demand absolute quality and are willing to pay for it.

Daniel Symmes October 29th, 2009 09:39 AM

I would say, mentality aside, that very few programs are worth $2K let alone more, when free (or comparatively so) are available or on the way.

Let us know your observations. Humor is a GOOD thing.

Perrone Ford October 29th, 2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Job (Post 1439658)
Of course, people in Europe do *not* have a *consumer mentality,* where *price is King.* The folks in Europe have a *Quality mentality,* where they demand absolute quality and are willing to pay for it.

Then Explain Renault to me...